“Impressive Authentic Italian Restaurant in Sarasota, FL”

Mediterraneo Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mediterraneo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Washington Blvd
Description: With its modern but classic Italian cuisine and emphasis on artisanal and contemporary Northern Italian style, Mediterraneo is often credited with being the first restaurant to bring authentic contemporary Italian cuisine to Sarasota when it first opened in 1996. Still under the same ownership, Mediterraneo has consistently been rated one of the top restaurants in Zagat. The restaurant has received numerous accolades including the acclaimed Insegna Del Ristorante Italiano awarded by The Minister of Agriculture & Commerce in Rome. With its highest honor, inducting the restaurant into its Accademia Italiana della Cucina "Fine Dining Hall of Fame." Mediterraneo has been rated as Best of the Best in Sarasota Magazine since the first year of opening. So whether you're celebrating a special occasion or grabbing a quick bite to eat, at Mediterraneo you are always assured the best quality food accompanied by excellent service. All of it thoroughly Italian.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Impressive Authentic Italian Restaurant in Sarasota, FL”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Quick look: Authentic Italian dishes created with love. Expect traditional Italian ingredients with modern flair. Restaurant will be busy during dinner hours so go ahead and make a reservation. Solid all the way around, can be a top contender with a few minor tweaks.

In depth review: Was visiting my NY transplant family that lives in the Sarasota area and they kept ranting and raving about Mediterraneo. We made a reservation for Monday, March 10th 2014 at 7pm. Surprised how busy the restaurant was for a Monday night. They must be attracting an upscale clientele as many of the cars parked outside were luxury, high end rides. The restaurant had a modern feel and is charming and quaint. We were greeted by the owner upon entering (nice feature). He even remembered my family and walked us to the table.

Service was prompt, at first. We ordered the calamari appetizer (not breaded and fried) and the sauce that accompanied it was tasty. Also ordered the Caprese (Tomato and Mozzarella) appetizer and it was superb. We also enjoyed the fresh baked bread brought to the table. For my entree I ordered the "Costoletta di vitello alla Parmigiana" (Breaded and pounded bone - in Veal chop with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese) - aka: Veal Parmesan. It was without a doubt one of the best Veal Parm dishes that I have had in a long time. Well done, I has in Heaven. I also over-indulged and ate the entire thing. I was beyond full as the portion was HUGE!

Everyone at the table in our group of seven loved their entrees. The lady loved her lamb shank and said it was great. So the quality of the food is obviously top notch. I could feel the Italian love coming out of that kitchen!

The only area of improvement that I can offer and why I removed a star from the rating is due to the inconsistent service we had during our meal. First of all it took way too long for drinks to appear at the table after placing the initial order. I even had to re-order a couple drinks after the drinks never made their way out to us. The server had no explanation, nor did he offer an apology. I also had to ask for more bread, water refills and requested that he remove a few dirty plates that had been sitting in front of us.

With a few minor tweaks this restaurant will be unstoppable in Sarasota and South Florida. The food was top notch and reminded me of the Italian restaurants I grew up eating at in New York.

We will be back and hopefully they will earn a five star rating from me. Owner also said goodbye to us as we left. Love the personal touch!

Santa Fe, NM
“A disappointing second visit”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I loved this restaurant the first time I ate there a few years ago, and that's saying a lot because the noise level was really annoying. Just returned from another visit to Sarasota where I couldn't wait to go back for another delicious bronzino dinner; sadly, it was not a repeat performance in any respect except for the noise level, and this time we even dined in the back room. I ordered the identical dinner and found the fish to be overcooked, the salad and the pasta very ordinary, and the waitstaff indifferent. In all fairness, the restaurant was very crowded; however, I don't think that's such a great excuse because from what I was told, it's always crowded. I guess having conversation with your friends isn't a high priority for some people, but it is for me, and that alone will prevent me from another visit. The menu won't be enough of an enticement, and as I learned during my two weeks in the area, there are many wonderful restaurants in Sarasota where one can enjoy great food in a less frenetic setting.

• Visited October 2013
LI
“Lively,noisy but excellent food”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Very popular with the locals and snowbirds . The recently updated interior does little to muffle the sound level. The food however is really good,The menu is varied and they do their best to accommodate individual needs and dietary restrictions.
The Salmon scallopine is one of the most interesting dishes I have had in a long time. It is thin slices of salmon in a wine,lemon and caper sauce with mushrooms
Pastas were excellent too. Only disappointment was the veal chop. It was rather small and nothing came with it, Sides were all al carte
Try and get a table in the back room,as it is easier for conversation

Sarasota, Florida
“Great Authentic Italian Food”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent food and service. Authentic owners and staff. The calamari and salads were great. My friends enjoyed the pizza and veal dishes.

manhattan
“You won't believe you're in Sarasota”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Wonderful, authentic Italian food. We spent two months in Italy this summer and if Mediterraneo had been near us, we would have eaten there repeatedly. Highly recommend.

• Visited February 2014