“A Very Nice Dining Experience”

Mediterraneo Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mediterraneo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Washington Blvd
Description: With its modern but classic Italian cuisine and emphasis on artisanal and contemporary Northern Italian style, Mediterraneo is often credited with being the first restaurant to bring authentic contemporary Italian cuisine to Sarasota when it first opened in 1996. Still under the same ownership, Mediterraneo has consistently been rated one of the top restaurants in Zagat. The restaurant has received numerous accolades including the acclaimed Insegna Del Ristorante Italiano awarded by The Minister of Agriculture & Commerce in Rome. With its highest honor, inducting the restaurant into its Accademia Italiana della Cucina "Fine Dining Hall of Fame." Mediterraneo has been rated as Best of the Best in Sarasota Magazine since the first year of opening. So whether you're celebrating a special occasion or grabbing a quick bite to eat, at Mediterraneo you are always assured the best quality food accompanied by excellent service. All of it thoroughly Italian.
North Bethesda, Maryland
“A Very Nice Dining Experience”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

After reading some of the reviews, we were a bit hesitant...but we had a terrific dinner. The food was very good (we both had pasta dishes) and the service was great. The place itself is fairly large and a bit chaotic but the decor is subdued and quite nice...a touch of Tuscan.

We went the day before Valentines Day in hopes of missing the tourists, the crowds, the lousy food and bad service...and we did. This is a fairly large restaurant so there are lots of people moving around but once we got seated, everything went fine. The waiters were all quite cordial. One waiter who wasn't responsible even pitched in to help when our real waiter got tied up. Nice teamwork!

I would highly recommend this place...good food and good service...and a very nice dining experience. Thanks.

• Visited February 2013

Toronto
“Great atmosphere and pretty good food”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had reserved a table for 6:30 on a Saturday evening. Got there a little late but it was not an issue. A throng of people milled around the entrance. Controlled chaos with the maitre d handling it all quite well. Reminiscent of a busy restaurant in Florence. We were seated in about 5 minutes.

Another reviewer said this place was pretty good for Florida, kind of a back handed compliment. In fact he was right. In terms of food this is not on the same level as a Mario Batali spot like Esca but nonetheless it is pretty good.

The ambience is great, although it is noisy. The server was attentive without being intrusive. Although we both enjoyed our meals it would be a stretch to say this is just like Italy. I started with an appetizer of shrimp with white beans and sausage, my wife had the spinach salad with pears and walnuts. Both were excellent. For the main course I had the veal Marsala and my wife had the pasta with seafood. The veal was sliced thinly and was very tender. However, the sauce was far too sweet, adjusted I think for north american tastes. The pasta is the better choice, rich and loaded with seafood.

The food was good enough that we will be back. I intend to try the pizza as it seemed to be quite a popular choice that night.

• Visited February 2013
Gavirate, Lombardia, Italy
“A REAL italian restaurant!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

A nice italian restaurant in a very central street of Sarasota, run by italian people. The staff is supernice and friendly and they serve you delicious italian food like pasta (linguine are simply delicious) and an outstanding pizza. I'm italian, and i used to distrust from italian restaurant out from Italy but this one has a truly italian taste!
A must go if you're in Sarasota!

“Best restaurant in Sarasota”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The best restaurant in Sarasota overall.
Best place to eat real italian food. All the dishes are made like in Italy, the cotoletta is amazing as the pizza! The Atmosphere is great, the entire staff is friendly and really welcoming. I felt like home. It is certainly a place to go and visit very often.

Recco, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“the only real and good italian restaurant in sarasota”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am italian and I spent few months in sarasota.I tried a few italian restaurant in the city faraway to be real italian and faraway to serve good food,finally after one friend's suggestion I went to mediterraneo and I had a real italian pizza and my friend had pasta black linguine which was outstanding.the owners from north of Italy they import a real italian contemporary cuisine !the service is very good and the owners very friendly!try also the tiramisu and limoncello!!

• Visited December 2012