“Third pie was a charm”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We came just for pie. We were trying key lime pie everywhere in Florida and this was a big disappointment. The fresh peach wasn't much better. The waitress was very nice and had said that the peanut butter pie was a favorite of customers so we decided to try that one too. and it was wonderful! We took half home since we already had two pieces of pie, and it was still good the next day. It didn't look great, but definitely worth a trip for that pie alone. i would certainly go back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,237)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

So, we were dropping off our son to his new college in Sarasota and were surprised to learn that the area has a significant Mennonite presence and serves as something of a warm weather vacation destination for Amish and Mennonite families from up north. A cousin recommended this restaurant and we came on over for a Wednesday night dinner. Parking is a little limited, but we found a space and came into a line that moved fairly quickly. As one would expect, the staff was exceedingly gracious and friendly. Food came quickly and was steaming hot. I had the meatloaf, my son opted for a half sandwich and cup of chili (not too hungry or in synch with Yoder's vibe), and my wife had two pieces (dark) of the restaurant's claim to fame--its fried chicken. I found the meatloaf to be pretty good, but my wife was underwhelmed by the chicken, finding it surprisingly dry. But then came the pie--eureka! Dessert is Yoder's specialty. My son had a piece of the coconut cream pie, my wife had a slice of the strawberry-rhubarb, and I had a piece of their peach pie (to die for!)--we traded bites of everyone's dessert and everyone agreed that it all was great. While the regular fare was good, it was the pie (and, no doubt, the other desserts as well) that will bring us back to Yoder's the next time we're in town.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Yoder's Restaurant serves a lot of good home cooked food and the best pies in town. They are all home made - I had the peach cobbler with whipped cream and it was luscious. It was a nice atmosphere and all the freshfaced servers were polite and knowledgeable about the food. However there deep fried chicken and potatoes are quite good but a bit too heavy for my stomach so I had the pan cooked chicken and stuffing and delicious amish pancakes. They were the best! But this restaurant is for people that like to eat a lot, as portions are plentiful , and the nite we were there our friends had pulled pork, Swedish meatballs and turkey platter. Good home cooked food but a lot of calories so put away your diet plates when dining here. Some of our friends ate a small dinner to save room for the strawberry rhubarb pie and banana and chocolate pie. A little rich for me, but very tasty. So if you want a unique place to dine, check out Yoders. There is a nice general store also and they had the best tomatoes in town. Also is a cute gift shop although a bit pricey. But it was most enjoyable.

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Good food, just like grandma used to make, reasonable prices. Take out or eat in. Today & most times fast & delicious. But during peak season traditional dinner times, can have long wait to get a table.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Eight of us ate here last Saturday. We arrived at 5 p.m. and got seated at 5:45 p.m. While you are waiting they show you videos of their fried chicken and pies being made which makes you drool like crazy! Our server Rachael did a great job. As others have said, they bring you sliced brown bread and butter to start with which is light and soft as a feather and the apple butter (confusing because it looks like ketchup in a bottle) on the table is delicious on top of the bread. Our meals were plentiful in size and the choice of side dishes was fabulous. My mac and cheese was delicious. The overall best side dish seemed to be the homemade potato chips which we all devoured they were so good. My green beans were to be honest average and tasted canned. The Amish potato cakes were two huge cakes, delicious and flavorful. My husband had the fried chicken all dark meat which he said was very good but not the best he had ever tasted but still good. I had the turkey dinner, very nice, although some parts of the turkey (all white meat) were a bit tough but the dressing and gravy were fabulous. Huge portions, had food to take back to our hotel. Sadly, the only desert I wanted was sold out - Rhubarb Pie which I had been looking forward to for weeks. A friend had a slice of the rhubarb and strawberry pie warmed and that was fantastic, just the right mix of sweet and sour with a huge dollop of vanilla ice cream on top and she very kindly allowed me a few bites. Others in our group had different pies, the peach pie got rave reviews but some of the cream pies seemed a tad sickly to those who ordered them, I think the fruit pies seemed to be by far the best. Only soft drinks here of course since an Amish restaurant. Still, glad we came and worth the wait - no reservations so get here early! Gift shop and market next door also fun for a visit. Meals are well priced. Dinner with tax and tip per person was only about $17 a head.

1  Thank mwooduk