“Usually Decent ... But Beware The Prime Rib on Friday...”

Barnacle Bill's Seafood
Ranked #257 of 1,055 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My elderly mother and I dine here once or twice a month, and we usually have an enjoyable meal. The food selection is varied, portions are ample, and the service is usually pretty good. Prices are moderate. There are plenty of choices for those (like myself) who are not fish-eaters, as well as a variety of fish and seafood dishes.

Tonight was Friday, and I decided to try the prime rib, which is only available on Friday and Saturday nights. Big mistake. When I ordered it, the server mentioned that "the prime rib is excellent tonight," which was encouraging to hear. When the meal arrived, there was a nice, large "king" cut of meat on the plate, and everything looked good ... until ... I began to discover that the cut itself was very fatty and that there was surprisingly little actual meat in that slice. By the time I was done, the pile of fatty pieces and such took up most of my plate. Very, very disappointing - and for the $28 it cost, a tremendous waste of money. My mother, on the other hand, ordered a seafood strudel and a small cup of conch chowder - both of which she has had before - and enjoyed her meal.

Next time, I'll stick with the pecan crusted chicken entree. Now THAT's good eating.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stopped for lunch on our way to Ringling Brothers Circus. Just a couple of blocks before Ringling. We both had grouper sandwiches which were good. Decided to stop for dinner the next night and the dinner specials were just so so. I ordered the pot roast dinner that stated it was "like Mom makes". Well, the meat was fine but that was it - nothing else in the pot roast like onions, vegetables, etc. I asked the server about it and he kind of laughed and said people were always asking where the veggies were! Strangest pot roast I've ever had. Staff were all friendly both time which helped make up for the dinner.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Best seafood....it is family oriented so ambience is lacking but the quality of the food makes up for it.

1  Thank bamabeauty2013
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stopped in around 9 pm on a weekend night. The restaurant usually stops serving at 9 but they seated us. We ordered fish chowder which was delicious, but very rich. Could have used more seafood, but it was good.
The accompanying bread was hot and delicious.
Also ordered mushrooms with crabmeat stuffing. Also delicious but very rich. Especially for late at night.
Good food and good service.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Great food and good prices. Popcorn shrimp was only $11. Right downtown so easy to find. Close to play we saw that night.