“Dinner OK, at Breakfast Just Grab Coffee and a Croissant”
Review of Jack Dusty

Jack Dusty
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack Dusty is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 1,144 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The lounge and terrace will include craft microbrews, a broad selection of rums and spirits and an array of specialty Sarasota-inspired cocktails made with farm fresh ingredients.
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Jack Dusty's is inside the Sarasota Ritz Carlton. It is the only dining option in the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel on a Friday night around 8:00 without dinner reservations but the restaurant was only half full. The hostess was not helpful and after at least ten minutes of frustrating back and fourth, the manager came over and told her to give us a table. This experience soured the whole evening, but we tried to move on.

The waiter was great and the bread served before dinner is excellent. We had four different salads and four different seafood entrees and they were all good.

The atmosphere outside is very nice. Tables are not squeezed in, the grounds adjacent to the restaurant is lovely and there is a great view of the water. Inside is very nice also but the air conditioning is set too low so bring a jacket.

We ate breakfast at Jack Dustys our first morning of the trip. Two of us ordered gravlax, one an omelet and the fourth a croissant. Stick to the croissant! The gravlox were inedible. The omelet was mediocre at best. The croissants were excellent as was the strawberry jam.

I will not return here.

1  Thank NewFloridaMom

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from two nights and three days at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota. I'm sure I'm not alone in having high expectations of any Ritz Carlton and this was a disappointment.

The best part of this Ritz Carlton - and any Ritz (I've stayed at 8) - is the service. The actual Ritz Carlton employees at this hotel were pretty nice and service oriented, but in three days I did not hear the signature expression "my pleasure" uttered a single time.

The restaurant is run by a third party and their service is way below Ritz standards. I had breakfast one morning and dinner one evening there. The dinner was good, but breakfast was not - in fact, I would recommend skipping it.

My room smelled musty but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. The bathroom did not have a fan and the shower was over a tub (not a walk-in shower). I left my room at 8:00 and when I returned around 3:30, the maid hadn't been in yet. I stayed in a water view room with a nice balcony but the lower floors of the hotel jut out passed the upper floors, so much of the view was rooftop. I think asking for the a room on one of the highest floors would be best.

I had several spa treatments and they were excellent. As was the service at the spa. The facilities, however, were not great - think basic tile instead of polished marble and a shortage of places to relax after your treatment. There are only three showers in the spa and one was out of order. The one I used had a clean towel waiting for me so it had been checked before I went in, but the shampoo and conditioner were covered in a very noticeable amount of hair.

The hotel is in downtown Sarasota. To use the beach facilities, you have to drive or take the shuttle (I recommend driving - valet parking is easy and then you don't need to be on shuttle time!) about 20 minutes to the beach club at Lido Key. This facility is lovely and much more Ritz-like. Plan on spending the days here - it's definitely the highlight of the property!

My trip was planned as a getaway weekend. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with that goal when they can just head down to one of the Ritz Carltons in Naples. If, however, you have to travel for business to Sarasota and you can squeeze in a day at the beach club, then by all means book it!

1  Thank NewFloridaMom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

had a tasty breakfast that included the special eggs benedict with sausage. Wife enjoyed the eggs and bacon. The coffee was special and always refilled

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Visited the Jack Dusty many times here in Sarasota and each time was a great experience. Great food, great service, and lots of fun.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great service, hefty drinks with great taste. Food, while good, disappointed considering this is a Ritz Carlton property!