“A little piece of paradise”

CasAntica Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
CasAntica Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #237 of 1,054 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife and I have been talking about the lamb and salmon bisque since we left last time, we were hoping for the identical meal. We sat outside which has been transformed into a small paradise for dinning! We were told the owner personally is always working to make it the best dinning environment for his guests. He has certainly succeeded the entire restaurant is beautiful. The lamb was not available but the salmon bisque was to our delight, again amazing! THE BEST BISQUE WEVE EVER HAD. My disappointment was soon forgotten when I received my entree shrimp with sundried tomato and mascarpone cheese. I have never heard of Mascarpone cheese used like this , obviously the chef is some sort of culinary genius because it was the best combination of food we both have ever had. We finished with obviously home made tiramisu and fresh berries. The service was very good and we were told if we call and speak to the owner Peter we can have our lamb anytime. We already have plans to return with entire family.

1  Thank Saul K

Reviewed January 19, 2014

After having read most of the reviews for this restaurant, I would have to agree mostly with the people who defined their experiences as "strange". We went there last night for a special occasion of our friends, who had made a 7:30 reservation, for a specific inside table having been familiar with a previous incarnation of the restaurant. They were assured that there would be no problem. However, when we arrived, excuses were given why not only was that table not available, there were no inside tables available, and would not be for at least an hour. While not pleased we agreed to sit in an outside area - after a 15 minute wait - that was heated by gas heaters (that made the canvas-enclosed area either too hot or too cool depending on how close your were to the free-standing heaters and how high or low they adjusted the flame; it was never very comfortable). We started with a round of wine; nothing special, but I can't complaint about the quality - although $8.75 for a glass of no-name house wine is a little steeper than most other restaurants in town. Our waitress was pleasant and reasonably familiar with the menu items, but apparently had too many tables to handle and had difficulty remembering the details beyond the entre orders. We told her we were in no rush, which she apparently took to mean we could be ignored for long periods of time. I don't think this was her intention, but again she was serving more table than she could reasonably handle.
When our soups and salads arrived, the salads arrived sans dressing (or the lightest dash of Caeser dressing I personally have ever experienced), which took another 15 minutes to get there by which time half of us were done - those with the soup. Orders for wine refills seemed to get lost in the shuffle, and several reminders were given before glasses were refilled. The wine and bread (which is excellent) was our saviour as our entres did not arrive for over an hour and a half. During the wait, I tried to use the restroom (which is both inadequate for the capacity of the restaurant and difficult to find), but eventually gave up standing in the hallway outside (which is also the main path to the kitchen and constantly filled with service people running back and forth with full trays) for 10 minutes waiting for someone to vacate the apparent private room. When the food finally arrived (at about 9:30) I must admit it was excellent; each person at the table was very pleased with their food. During the course of the meal our table was visited by a variety of restaurant management who assisted in bussing the tables and asking if everything was alright, As we were not in any hurry, we had no complaints, but I can't imagine if someone was there for a pre-theater meal they would have been happy with the time factor. I realize this is a new location and venture for the owners - who have had many years of successful experience in town (and out) with other restaurants - and the main issues seemed to stem from disorganization. I'm also sure that due to the physical layout of the restaurant - in an historic multi-storied house with recently added exterior patio dining - the logistics of getting to and from the kitchen with food and the bar with wine and beer (they do not have a full bar) is a nightmare for the wait staff. Our only other problem was that by the time we got to dessert, literally every choice we made was 86ed; not something one would expect from a 7:30 reservation, but then again it was 10:30 by the time we got to dessert. In summary, if you like good food this is a good choice; however if you don't have all the time in the world to spend, I would either wait until they straighten out their proceedure issues of try another of the many fine local restaurants.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is one of the few restaurants in Sarasota that does NOT have some sort of tropical vibe. Decor-wise you could be in a fine restaurant in Little Italy in New York, or in Boston's North End. The restaurant has a bunch of small, intimate dining rooms that add as much to the experience as the knowledgeable and attentive wait staff. Everyone at our table enjoyed their meal immensely and we argued about which was the best - the homemade pasta, the veal dishes or the fish. We simply cannot wait to return!

1  Thank Larry A
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Casa Antica is the most authentic Italian Restaurant I have had the pleasure to eat at outside of Italy. We ate in a private "homelike" dining room with two other couples. Antonia was an outstanding waiter and we were treated like esteemed family friends. Peter the owner stopped by our dining room and treated us to an after dinner Prosecco and the best dessert sampler! The desserts were just as good as the dinner. My husband had a special seafood with linguini platter that he cannot wait to get back to have again. I on the other hand had a Veal Scallopini Sorrentino that was tender and delicious and the portion more than generous.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We are seasonal residents and live downtown, We knew this was a great place for Italian and have enjoyed it several times. There was six of us this evening we sat upstairs where it is absolutely delightful. The server suggested several specials and menu items, I was blown away by the salmon bisque then the veal with eggplant. My wife had the swordfish special which I also thought was great. Everybody at our table loved the food !!! The waiter told us the owner is the chef well he certainly has something very special going on in his kitchen. We will be going back often and not only when we want Italian. When we were leaving there was a party outside, They were being delivered the most amazing platters of giant lobsters wow what a great place for entertaining and a party it looked great outside. The only thing wrong that night also while leaving we heard the lady behind the bar screaming at a coworker other than that a perfect dinning experience. Complements to the chef owner.

2  Thank Saul K