“First time but will return!”
Review of Mayta’s Peruvian Restaurant - CLOSED

Mayta’s Peruvian Restaurant
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are now permanently CLOSED. Thanks for all the marvelous reviews that we received in the time that we was operating. Wonderful people that we get known, and we will remember with love and gratitude. MAYTAS PERUVIAN RESTAURANT
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Stopped in due to person on street waving sign. No idea Peruvian rest. Here! Owner was most informative.
Great selection! I had ceviche...awesome!
One word...FRESH and made to order!
Worth the wait and will return for dinner.
Only down side was no full bar but... It is coming!!
Then you will have to stand in line!!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We recently visited this restaurant, (6-2014), and arrived early for dinner. The restaurant should have had some diners, but as it turned out we remained the only customers during our time spend there. The what seemed to be the owner was very engaging and acted as our server as well. He mentioned some items that were not on the menu which included a Tbone steak, and we both ordered this. The steak was served with asparagus and seasoned rice.
The asparagus were perfectly done, and the steaks were good but my steak was burned on 1 side, (the side that was served down), and it took away from the enjoyment.
Unfortunately it is all too common for a kitchen to underperform when there is no ongoing action and I think that this resulted in burning 1 side of my steak. It should not have been served, and I did not want to bother telling the owner of the shortcoming. It appears that this restaurant is furnished toward upscale dining but lacks focus with respect to the menu. I went to a Peruvian restaurant to get a Peruvian dining experience and the fact that we ordered Tbone steak tells the whole story. We would have liked to have a "foreign" experience, but did not get a Peruvian feeling while reading the menu. The whole experience both atmosphere and menu must change and in a sense scream Peru.
Even the musician offered American oldies instead of real Peruvian sounds.
We believe this restaurant needs to deliver more of what the name implies.

1  Thank 4320abc
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We recently enjoyed a great meal here. Without trying to recite the menu, let's just say that some of the best food in Sarasota can be found here. The chicken, fish, and steak dishes are all great. And, as others have written, desserts are good too.

With all that good food you would think the restaurant would be packed. Unfortunately this is not the case. They do not have a good location. The mall is "hidden" behind the Olive Garden and the shops and restaurants can't be seen from Rt.41. Siri has to work hard to find this place. We were the only visitors the night we dined there. Sad. Hope they can find a more restaurant friendly location.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Today was the first time we ate in this restaurant.It was about 1 pm on Good Friday 4/18/14 and when my wife and I went in there was only one person eating in a rather large restaurant during lunchtime in a busy area.This was the first red flag.We ordered a potato appetizer for $5.00, and were surprised to see 3 small slices of potato with a sauce on it.Tasty but two bites and it was gone.They do not serve and bread in this place.My wife ordered a steak dish with vegetables and what came was two very small pieces of meat and I do mean pieces.My order was chicken breasts with stew.What arrived was two small meatball size pieces of chicken with some vegetables.Both orders came with small scoops of rice.Three bites later our food was gone.My wife also ordered a salad for $7 and this was small also,and it did not come with any bread.The food was tasty but the portions were criminal.My wife and I were still hungry when we left so we went to Publix for a sandwich.Both of our entrees were $10 each.The total bill was $36 and they gave us a coupon for $5 to come again.Fat chance of that happening.If you are hungry do not come to this place.

1  Thank Luckymike49
tulipan40, Owner at Mayta’s Peruvian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

I'm so sorry that you was so unhappy with the size of your food. First at all is you was thinking to eat until exploited, we extremely recommended you to go a buffet, because an appetizer for $5.00 cant full you, and two lunch dishes that we always served, and we never had a complaint for the quality or the side of the food for dishes between $9 and $10. And maybe for fault of knowledge, you will now that in a Peruvian restaurant we don't served bread, because we are Peruvian no Italians. And I never saw that you complain about the quality of the food or the place, because that is what people want to know, and that is why this kind of pages exist. Is a pity that you write with all this hate about my place. Have a nice day.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner on a friday night. They had live music, food was great, try the "lomo" really good. They also have a cava where you can choose the wine you want to have with dinner.