“Great comfort food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Blue Rooster

The Blue Rooster
Ranked #115 of 1,026 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With over 50 lineal feet of bar and community tables belly up and take a respite from the day's worries. Rich in history, the corner bar, country shack, juke joints and Friday night fish fries are what make up the southern bar. With influences far and wide, old and new together with the freshest local ingredients - it's all about the food. Simple food, fresh ingredients and prepared with respect for our southern roots. We live for it. We challenge ourselves daily to prepare authentic southern fare for the whole family in a relaxed setting. Great southern cooking in a warehouse vibe with folks who appreciate your presence is our passion. The Blue Rooster offers the best live entertainment Sarasota has to offer, delivered through a top notch sound system in a classic juke joint atmosphere. Make sure to bring your dancing shoes!
Sarasota
“Great comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stopped by here for dinner. We came early on a weeknight to avoid the crowds. Drinks were strong as others have commented. Biscuits were out of this world. Brunswick stew appetizer was tasty. My wife's mahi sandwich was perfectly prepared. My catfish was a bit dry, but good. Dessert was huge and very good. Nice selections of beers and wine. We were very pleased and will definitely be back.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ron C

Tampa, Florida
“Gourmet comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is one of my favorite local restaurants. Great food, great live music, and atmosphere. Good for family (they give the kids legos to play with), date night or big groups

• Visited May 2013
Florida Keys, Florida
“great atmosphere- food so-so”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

5 stars on the atmosphere, especially if you get there early before the band sets up to play on Friday/Saturday night. If you plan ahead, make reservations because the place has VERY limited seating. We walked in around 6:15 and only half the seats were taken. (it is really just a very large room with the kitchen being bigger than the whole restaurant!) and they remained empty for an hour while we sat at the bar - which was actually even better!

Maybe 4 stars for the food. Menu very limited, but very interesting - chicken and waffles. We opted for the shrimp appetizer which was tasty and ordered 2 ( w four shrimp each). I had the pasta and it was just so-so; the ham in it was a little odd. The skirt steak was very tasty also and the truffle fries were awesome.

Go for the atmosphere

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Buffalo, New York
“Come back every trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I come to Sarasota often and always make a trip to the Blue Rooster. They just do it right. The food is excellent and I love the entertainment,

• Visited September 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Good music, great food, excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

What the heck is wrong with you people not giving this a better review? Sure, its busy and loud - if those are your complaints - but the service and food are excellent and even the music is really good.

Girlfriend and I came here with a groupon, but made the mistake of coming on a night where the groupon couldn't be used (stupid fine print). We stopped in anyway because we saved the groupon for a night with a band that seemed interesting - in this case, the Florida Mountain Boys (don't ask where the Florida mountain is - I have no clue). The place was jammed. No seating, except outside. If I had one complaint it would be the design in that they have outdoor seating, but the outer wall is solid. A lot of places in Florida design the outer wall so it can be lifted, or at least put in large floor to ceiling windows. If you're a live music restaurant, you should design so your outside tables can also enjoy the music. Anyway, I digress...

We hung around until a spot opened at the bar. We each got a drink - they were strong with a capital STRONG - and an appetizer. She got their shrimp and coleslaw app, and I got their fried chicken biscuit slider appetizer. They are apparently known for their fried chicken, but I figured if I got this appetizer, then I could safely try something else when we did come to use the groupon. Anyway, the biscuits were better than any chicken biscuits I've had - made with a maple bourbon sauce I think, and oh so good. Girlfriend loved her shrimp.

Anywho, we came back Sunday for the groupon and watched Ari and the Alibis. Really very good. Couldn't understand her singing much, but the band was fantastic and a lot of fun. Like the night before, people were up and dancing and thoroughly enjoying themselves. We were seated right up front and had a great view of the show.

This night, the service didn't start off strong, but he was really busy (table of 20, plus some others), so it was forgiveable and he was otherwise excellent. I decided to get a flank steak entrée while my girlfriend got shrimp & grits, and we were both thrilled. Everything about the meal was excellent. Granted, it was loud as anything up front, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Its a shame. I've lived in Sarasota for 6 years, and this place has only been around a year (and I didn't even know about it until the groupon came up). I'd definitely become a regular if I wasn't moving soon.

• Visited August 2013