“Wonderful fresh sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Bar
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We tried that place several times and enjoyed it every time. The sushi is always fresh and presented colorfully the stuff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu they have a happy sushi hour between 4-6 $4 rolls which is a wonderful and affordable option for lunch or early dinner every day of the week including weekends which is awesome! the desserts were OK nothing amazing but definitely go for the sushi :)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I like this place, and I don't. Let me explain. First, the good, and there is a lot of it:

- Great, fresh ingredients. The fish melts in your mouth. I had the tuna, white tuna, salmon sashimi special, and it was wonderful. Served on a bed of shredded vegetables. Just terrific.

- Great beer. Lots of good beer on tap. If you love beer, you will love Kazu's

- Service. The entire staff visited us and asked us f we needed anything. "Our" waitress was attentive and answered all our questions patiently. Oh, and we went on a "Living Social" special, and it was handled beautifully. Many places make us feel bad to using Groupon or Living Social.

The misses:

- OK, they were really excited that we ordered the calamari. They said it was different, and it was. It was served in strips of thick, and very tender squid, which was wonderful. However, the panko breading was not what I was hoping for: too thick, and I was thinking tempura. It was fine, just not my thing.

- The rolls were not to my taste. Lots of cream cheese, and other non-Japanese ingredients. They looked GREAT, and many people around us we very happy with them. But for us, well, eh.

So, good and not so good. We will order more wisely the next time we go, and we will be back. I do recommend them, just be forewarned that it is eclectic, and that is not bad at all! Enjoy!

1  Thank QuaziM
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I try not to read reviews after I have eaten at an unknown place (not looked up on any websites), in order not to be biased and make the review personal. I stumbled onto Kazu 2.0 on Gateway, on the way to a friend's house on the key and I was pleasantly surprised. I will say, in contrast to the previous poster, there are MANY places in the SRQ area that cater to the older crowd. Go to Mattison's and other places, if you would like a nice, quiet dinner without the extra stuff. It is nice to see there is a couple of places that cater to the young population of this area and this place is a little different (for SRQ), designed to be a bar and a sushi restaurant in one. A sushi / tapas bar, so to speak. Although simplicity breeds success and although the fusion experiments are usually short lived, I have a feeling this place will be popular and survive. In order to increase its demographic footprint, the owner decided on a place that, theoretically, in different times of day, would serve different people. But enough about that... The food is really good here. I had the shumai and sashimi dinner and the soup and salad came out first, the salad had a little too much dressing, but it was good and crisp and fresh. The soup was also very refreshing. The shumai was good, smaller pieces which were good, probably my least favorite of the night, but good. The sashimi definitely held its own, it was big, fresh, tasty pieces of fish and great textures. Overall, I felt I had a great meal, in a great setting and I would definitely go back, especially to hit happy hour. The beer prices are a little steep, but Yuengling, which is the house beer at $2 / $2.50 will do just fine for me next time.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Yup, I'm the spoilsport. I'm the one who's going to say that the Emperor has no clothes. I'm the one who's going to say that Kazu is, gasp(!), average.

Now before all of Kazu's fan get in an uproar, let me say that average isn't bad. It's, well, average.

I'd been to the old restaurant and now the new one and honestly, I never had my socks knocked off by their sushi.

One a website, I see references to sushi 2.0. To me, it's more like sushi remedial class. The flavors and textures don't excite me. In fact, some of their rolls seem more like they threw everything in the kitchen into the roll with no thought to complementing those ingredients. To use criticspeak, the sushi wasn't harmonious.

Oh, one other thing. When we were there relatively early on a Saturday night, the noise from the bar area was really loud, so loud that everyone at our table had to stop talking every now and then because we couldn't hear anything we were saying.

If Kazu's owner wants to own a bar, then open one, where the more boisterous clients can go crazy. But when we spend our money, we'll take it elsewhere for a more peaceful experience.

1  Thank StPeteSaint
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Always loved the "old" Kazu's on Siesta, and couldn't believe the concept change that they made to a dinner time, snazzy, sushi and drinks bistro. The concept works! First of all, owner Kazu is a master sushi chef. If you want someting that isn't on the extensive menu, ask him to make it for you. His wife, Akiko, continues to be a vivacious, yet gracious hostess. Secondly, the hip bar format is a delightful addition to the traditional Japanese food. The beer floats are a must. This is going to become an evening destination place for those who want a hip experience in Tokyo's Ginza style. Fun!