“Not sure about the glowing reviews” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
St. Petersburg, Fla.
“Not sure about the glowing reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Yup, I'm the spoilsport. I'm the one who's going to say that the Emperor has no clothes. I'm the one who's going to say that Kazu is, gasp(!), average.

Now before all of Kazu's fan get in an uproar, let me say that average isn't bad. It's, well, average.

I'd been to the old restaurant and now the new one and honestly, I never had my socks knocked off by their sushi.

One a website, I see references to sushi 2.0. To me, it's more like sushi remedial class. The flavors and textures don't excite me. In fact, some of their rolls seem more like they threw everything in the kitchen into the roll with no thought to complementing those ingredients. To use criticspeak, the sushi wasn't harmonious.

Oh, one other thing. When we were there relatively early on a Saturday night, the noise from the bar area was really loud, so loud that everyone at our table had to stop talking every now and then because we couldn't hear anything we were saying.

If Kazu's owner wants to own a bar, then open one, where the more boisterous clients can go crazy. But when we spend our money, we'll take it elsewhere for a more peaceful experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StPeteSaint

South Florida, Florida
“Kazu's Goes Hip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Always loved the "old" Kazu's on Siesta, and couldn't believe the concept change that they made to a dinner time, snazzy, sushi and drinks bistro. The concept works! First of all, owner Kazu is a master sushi chef. If you want someting that isn't on the extensive menu, ask him to make it for you. His wife, Akiko, continues to be a vivacious, yet gracious hostess. Secondly, the hip bar format is a delightful addition to the traditional Japanese food. The beer floats are a must. This is going to become an evening destination place for those who want a hip experience in Tokyo's Ginza style. Fun!

• Visited February 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
“Going to be our "go to" Sushi place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Tried Kazu last night. Had not been previously at their former location on Siesta Dr. They recently moved to Gulfgate, directly across from Vizen.
Excellent experience. We happened to be there early enough to catch their early bird deals. Not only inexpensive, but very high quality. We tried the sashimi sampler...............three very nice pieces each of tuna, salmon, and white tuna. Excellent. We also had the edamame, Shrimp goyza, and three rolls, the Siesta (the best), the spicy tuna (good, not great), and the crab lagoon (excellent)

Happy hour, by the way, from 4:30 - 6:30 (I think) is a great bargain. Most dishes are discounted by around $1.50............and, select beers were $3 and Sake was discounted.

Here's my take on the place. VERY good quality sushi, at VERY affordable prices, and EXCELLENT service. Don't expect high-end foofy..............it is a nice clean atmosphere, but does not pretend to be upscale.

And the service was excellent..............nice experience all around. We'll be back..............

1 Thank Dan B
Sarasota, FL
“Kazu's has moved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We love the quality of Kazu's. It is our favorite Sushi restaurant in Sarasota. They have moved to 6566 Gateway Ave in Sarasota and are across the street from Vizen. Vizen has a nicely presented but overpriced menu. Kaxu's 2.0 has a new menu with many small dishes - no dinners. Most of the old classics like the Rainbow and Siesta rolls made the transfer and they were happy to prepare a sushi/sashimi platter when asked. Kazu makes great food. Coconut shrimp were moist and crunchy. The coconut was very flavorful - not the plastic stuff that is so common. We had trouble finding the new place because of all the old reviews on the web. Give them a try and you will not be disappointed

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank howacow
Sarasota, Florida
“Not sure about new menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I have always enjoyed Kazu and were excited about their new location. They have a lot more room, it is very nice, and I think will do well there. We went out with a bunch of friends we had in town, and with our visiting son. My son and I are not sushi eaters but my husband is a crazy sushi man. I found that the choices for teriyaki, tempura, etc. were very limited compared to their previous menu. One of my favorite items used to be their Bento box - I loved it! But it is no longer available. I did, however, enjoy the teriyaki chicken with rice, and my husband loved his sushi. To be fair, it IS a sushi place after all. Lastly, the waitstaff is outstanding. They were very attentive and friendly, and made for a great dining experience.