“I want great UK food...”
Review of British Open Pub - CLOSED

British Open Pub
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Northern California
“I want great UK food...”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We are new to the area. Saw a Groupon for this place and I said...YES!! But when I left the restaurant I said...TOO BAD!
We went for lunch; hindsight maybe that was our problem??
The waitress was kinda rude and very curt. Like she was in a hurry to not help us. We are always, "Hi how are you doing?" kind of people.
We had the crab roll as an appetizer..LOVE.
Ordered an extra dirty martini..great bartender! And let me tell you..next to Bond, I know my martini's.
I ordered the Mums Mac n Cheese with garlic bread..first it came out super cold. I asked her to warm it up a bit and she did. It wasn't too bad after that; wish there were more sharp cheese but hey it cured my mac n cheese craving, can't beat that. The garlic bread..GROSS. It was so old and hard and it had me asking where's the garlic. There was 3-4 garlic flakes on the bread but I literally could not bite into the bread. The peas and carrots were what they are. I took those home to my dogs..they loved them.
My friend had the prime rib sandwich. She was torn between that and the fish n chips. The waitress said the sandwich. She said she liked it, a little salty but good. She didn't finish the steak fries but said they were delish.
But as always, even with the groupon we still tip according to the bill PRIOR to the discount regardless of how bad we feel the staff are.
We probably won't go to this pub again. We'll keep trying other British Pubs.

• Visited March 2013

Cincinnati
“nice place, good food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had a nice lunch last week with my husband and father in law. We all had something different and were all very pleased with our choices. Nice menu. Service was prompt and friendly. Nice option when in south sarasota area.

• Visited February 2013
Tampa, Florida
“A Little Taste of the UK”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were in Sarasota for another event and decided to see if there were any good Yelp deals. So glad we checked it out! Nice atmosphere - it was busy but not noisy or crazy at 8:30 pm on a Saturday - solid pub fare and good service.

We visited on a Saturday night and there was live music on the patio. Great musician doing guitar and keyboard with his vocals. It was a little cool so we sat inside and wow, is the soundproofing good! We were right next to the patio but the music wasn't at all loud or overpowering. We realized how good the windows were when waitresses opened the door and suddenly the sound swelled.

My guy did the Cornish Pastie - a golden-brown pastry pocket crammed full of seasoned ground beef, peas, carrots, onions and potatoes in savory gravy. It came with English-style chips and extra gravy. It was delicious and he was very pleased to see the carrots were fresh, not previously frozen little cubes. The crust was perfectly baked and had a delicious, savory flavor. His only complaint was wanting a slightly larger portion of chips on the side. Not sure if that was because there weren't enough or they were just delicious and he was left wanting more.

I tried the chicken and mushroom pie and was surprised to get a tableside presentation with my dish. The waitress brought a bowl crowned by a flaky, delicious square of puff pastry. She plated the pastry, used the back of a spoon to create a bowl and topped it with a creamy sauce packed with chicken and mushrooms. It was really good and just as described on the menu, though it was so rich I found myself wishing it included some additional veg like peas and carrots.

How can anywhere with HP sauce for your fries be bad? I second the reviewer that mentioned being reminded of London. Great little pub and pretty darn good, authentic pub food. Just what I would expect from a solid pub in London, which is awesome for a strip mall in Sarasota.

• Visited January 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Great food, Great service, fun music”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

All the classics - pasties and steak and kidney pie, fish and chips (try the deep fried mushrooms - we go just for them and a couple of drafts!!) And the staff are fun and there when you need them. And there's outdoor seating for some great local music where you can puff on a ciggy while you show off your inner Aretha!

• Visited January 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good place for a bite or a pint”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We are happy to have this as a convenient place to stop for a bite or a pint. The food is good and the atmosphere very comfortable. I was worried because Groupon sold a ton of their coupons and I was concerned the place would be mobbed, but was pleasantly surprised that, though they were busy, they were able to handle it. Now I just worry that they are going to lose their shirt filling the Groupon deals and will not be around in a few months.

Our food has always arrived promptly and everything has been very good. I am a bit of an onion ring freak. Theirs are the wide, beer-batter, softer ones. I prefer the thinner, crispy ones, but they are still pretty good and they give you a ton.