“Best everything..”

Jim's Small Batch Bakery
Ranked #2 of 24 Bakeries in Sarasota
Cuisines: Soups
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Small batches, real ingredients, and a deft hand... no proof & bake croissants, no muffin mixes, no Sysco cookie dough and no fake whipped cream. It's all from scratch and it's all made on premise. From authentic all-butter hand laminated croissants and perfect carrot cake, to fresh fruit sorbets and candied bacon BLTs on true artisanal bread, the variety, freshness and execution may surprise you at this humble little place.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I love this bakery... Everything is amazing... The fruit Danishes are my favorite.. As well as Love Notes, ohh and the bread... It's out of this world... I can't eat most of it since I became vegan, but what I had before and still can eat now is absolutely amazing.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This small bakery truly is a gem. Jim is an awesome chef and is gifted in culinary skills. Always fresh and completely home made, you can't go wrong. Quality can be pricey but well worth it.

1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Expecting a restaurant from the reviews but it is just a bakery. Very nice owner and all looked good but VERY pricey. $5.00 for a sweet croissant and $3.50 for a mini one. Lemon squares and brownies about one square inch for $3.50 and the Danishes are 3.50 but less then 2inches in diameter, basically one or two bites. I only bought bread, it is very good, but really not worth the price.

2  Thank banditandzizi
smallbatchbaker, Owner at Jim's Small Batch Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you banditandzizi for taking time out from your travels to pop in and check out my little bakery and I’m sorry your visit failed to meet your expectations. I should be content with 4/5 stars, but nevertheless I would like to clarify the discrepancies over my prices in your report, so future guests aren’t misinformed: The Mini Chocolate Almond Croissant is actually $3 not $3.50; Almond Croissants are indeed only $5 and are hefty enough to share. I’m located in the Gulf Gate neighborhood of Sarasota, not exactly Rodeo Drive or even St. Armand’s Circle for that matter, and certainly not Las Vegas ($6 and $6.25) or that lodge in Montana where friends stayed just last week and paid $7.25. Had you tasted one you may have reconsidered their worth in comparison, maybe tasted the real butter, maybe dividing it in half to share or enjoy later. My Mini Danishes which are $2, not 3.50, are made with 30 grams of all-butter Danish dough before the addition of real fruit. I get compliments all the time regarding my smart, reasonable and responsible portion sizes. Currently, I personally laminate by hand all Danish and croissant dough. It’s not mass-produced, and would be considered a delicacy or occasional indulgence. “Healthier” options like a standard-sized scratch muffin that’s loaded with real fruit is still $1.75. All miniature pastries and bars (lemon, etc) are $1.50, not $3.50. Not sure how you missed the actual prices of so many items since everything is clearly labeled in the display case plus we’re always happy to clarify or answer questions. I’m delighted you liked the artisan bread! Was it the fairly priced 12 oz. baguette at $2.50? Or the $4.25 large loaf? Every morsel of food in my bakery is hand-made, from scratch, right here on premise, the way bakeries used to do it years ago. The bakery industry has moved away from on site all scratch baking since it’s not as cost-effective as convenience products, so it’s no surprise that Small Batch Bakery may seem ‘pricey’. Lastly, I share your frustration but Tripadvisor unfortunately only has “restaurant” as a category. We thought someone might review us in the “attractions” category, but I guess since we don’t have our own golf course or water park, “restaurant” will have to do for now.  I always regret not delivering on the reasonable expectations of my guests, but it’s very well-reported that the place isn’t a typical full service restaurant: for starters it has “Bakery” in the name, and countless reviews here and elsewhere mention the small space, limited seating and counter service. Now that we’ve cleared that up, I do hope you’ll give Small Batch Bakery a second look next time you’re in the neighborhood! With an economy still on the mend, you may want to take advantage of our daily lunch specials like Saturday’s “buy one sandwich or quiche and get the second at half price”, “homemade soup for a buck”, or free “dessert with lunch” and more. Thank you for supporting your local artisan baker!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

After relocating to Florida and searching 5-6 weeks for a bakery that has quality products, Wife and I found what we believe is the BEST bakery we have ever entered. The owner (Jim) is knowledgeable and a master in his craft. Breads that change everyday are perfect. Pastries that taste the way they are supposed to with flavors and textures that are combined with what I would call artistry. We shall return to this establishment to sample other products in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

What a find! All fresh baked bread, bagels, cookies and pastries! Have the home made soup with your sandwich. And save room for one or ...three of the desserts!