“Almost like the place formerly known as home”
Review of Coyne's Pier 28 - CLOSED

Coyne's Pier 28
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We discovered Coyne's soon after they opened, almost a year ago, after I heard they were associated with a restaurant where we ate many times in Maryland. I admit to suffering the loss of real crab soup, crab cakes, and soft crab sandwiches since we moved to Florida. We were not disappointed in our meals. We stick to the items we miss the most, so I can't comment on any of their other selections. We've eaten there several times, most recently yesterday, whenever we get to Sarasota. I hope they are successful so that I can get always get a Maryland fix.

1  Thank Broomhilda2012

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Lunch at Pier 28 on advice of friend to try the crab cakes.
Somewhat on the expensive side for lunch - the addition of a single crabcake to
a salad adds $13.00 - but the crab cake was good and the so was the berry green salad.
Second visit, about a month later, lunch.
I ordered the same "berry salad" with crab cake. The salad bore little resemblence to
the one I'd enjoyed a month earlier. It was way overdressed and nearly sickeningly sweet.
The crab cake was flavorless. My lunch companions that day had a variety of entrees and
the reviews were mixed. One "good", one "ok", one "underwhelmed".
Fast forward about a month to my third try - this time for dinner.
In a word : horrible.
My grouper came heavily sauced but we could smell the telltale "fishy" odor through the sauce.
The accompanying risotto was a congealed mess and the veges undercooked but also inexplicably
charred. My dinner companions fared better with fried entrees , but they, too, were underwhelmed by
the quality of their food. The best thing about the meal was the server who apologized for the food
problems and did her best to try and make things "right". But the fault here was not with the server
but the kitchen and perhaps the management. Any attempt to pass off bad fish is unacceptable, period.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Ate here for the first time on Mother's Day. Although we had reservations, it was crowded. On the suggestion of the hostess we sat in the bar which was fine. The Buffet line was a joke. One chef slicing well-done roast beef while 20 or 30 people waited in line to serve themselves from a too small table set up. The champagne fountain was located directly behind the buffet line which made for a very crowded situation. The items on the buffet table were not labeled, so you didn't know exactly what some of the things were. When we finally sat down to eat, the food was good but we were sorry we chose to eat here for the first time on Mother's Day as it was not a pleasant experience. After reading Trip Advisor, perhaps we will go back to try their crab cakes. On a positive note, the staff was very pleasant.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

After looking up this place on trip advisor, we decided to give it a shot because of the raving reviews of the crab cakes. It did NOT disappoint!! The crab cakes were fantastic. True Maryland style crab cakes. The Broccolli Cheddar soup was delicious. Our waitress Kathlyn, was VERY attentive, friendly, and courteous. The decor and atmosphere were also very nice. We will definitely visit again.

1  Thank Gary D
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The food was exceptionable.
The bartenders were friendly,outgoing and were more than willing to help with drink and food desicions.
Quiet place for a Wednesday, so the atomsphere wasn't as great but I would assume it is packed on the weekends.
Hidden jewel, should be known more than it is.

1  Thank Sarahedaniels