“one word WOW”
Review of Don Pablo's - CLOSED

Don Pablo's
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“one word WOW”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

There was nothing to complain about at all. The food and drinks were over the top. So much so I ate there twice in the 4 days I stayed in Sarasota.

Visited August 2013

Venice, Florida
“Sticky situation”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was my first time to Don Pablo's restaurant. I was invited by a friend and I arrived first. I took a booth with a wooden table. I noticed as I sat down that my hand was sticking to the table, yuk.
We did enjoy our enchiladas as they were very tasty despite the fact that our waitress was not enjoying her work that day. After we finished and we were preparing to leave my friend had to literally grab his leg with his two hands and pry his leg from the sticky wooden bench.We were surprised that there was still skin on his leg. Good food so the they can do better.

• Visited July 2013
San Antonio, Florida
“Spicy and Satisfying”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

(I've noted the less-than-outstanding reviews that Don Pablo's has received on TripAdvisor recently, and must say that I experienced NONE of the problems that were mentioned. I am not challenging the truth or accuracy of any negative reviews, mind you ... perhaps the criticisms were noted and action taken?)

We were seated immediately, our server was friendly and attentive, our surroundings were immaculate, and our food was plentiful, tasty and satisfying.

Within less than a minute of having been seated, we were presented with a hot, fresh basket of tortilla chips and our drink order was taken. We didn't wait long for our meal, either; actually, I would not have minded at all if it had been even a little slower in coming to the table.

There were a number of tempting choices on the menu ... I chose a mesquite-grilled chicken chimichanga which was loaded with chicken and tasty black beans and peppers and covered with a delicate "queso" sauce ... my companion chose a beef burrito which he proclaimed excellently prepared. The sides of refried beans and Mexican rice are tasty and attractively presented.

Flavorful. That's the word that kept coming to mind. Yummy.

A word of caution to those who do not enjoy spicy foods: this is NOT the restaurant for you. From the salsa served with our complimentary chips to the dinners, there was a little fire thang goin' on which we enjoyed, but which would prove to be much too much for those who are not used to spicy foods or who cannot eat them for whatever reason. But hey, our food that night was not bland, as one recent reviewer had charged!

I would definitely and happily return to this Don Pablo's location!

• Visited July 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Sad example of Tex/Mex”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Tex/Mex is a favorite of mine. That is especially true of burritos. My chicken burrito was the soggiest mess and the worst I've had. I opened it up to avoid the soggy tortilla and found hardly any chicken. Server was very nice, but I won't return. My companion ordered tacos. Said shell was too soft to pick up and was also light on the meat.

• Visited June 2013
Bradenton, FL
“Dirty dining area and food with no flavor”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I tried this place after reading an article in a local magazine about how the owners are trying to resurrect the Don Pablo concept. Big mistake. By both of us.

Stopped in Don Pablos on a Friday at noon. The dining area was 1/2 full. The server was uninterested in us or her job and the food was both bland and very salty, if that is possible. Trash on the floor and my booth was sticky (!?!)

Midway through my meal, the thought hit me: With so many great restaurants in Sarasota, what was I doing sitting in this one?

I don't plan to go back.

• Visited June 2013