“Great Value and Location”

Coquina On The Beach
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Greenwood, Indiana
“Great Value and Location”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were visiting relatives and their condo was too small for two adults and two children under 3, so we looked for something on Lido Beach and were pleasantly surprised to find the Coquina. Although old, they were replacing the dining tables and chairs. They even called to let us know in case our kids were taking naps. Looks like the are in the process of updating the rooms, but with such a nice beach you don't spend much time in them. Family friendly and a great value, we will return next time we are in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
From all of us at Coquina on the Beach, thank you for your recent stay and review with us!

It’s wonderful to hear that you and your family found our accommodations friendly, value-driven and noticed our updates, which are still in full swing. Much of the property, inside and out has had a fresh coat of paint and all of our Studio Efficiencies, like your accommodation, are also expecting new headboards, night stands and the like to compliment the new kitchen tables and chairs.

We look forward to your visit to our area again soon! All the best to your family.
-Tom Q., GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Vilano Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a family reunion at Lido Beach Resort and since it was going to be a long weekend we wanted to take our dogs with us. We were recommended the Coquina On The Beach. It was right next door to the motel where all of our family was staying. I was very surprised after reading mixed views how much we loved this place. We had one of the upstairs rooms in the patio building and another family member had the downstairs poolside rooms. We brought our bikes and kayak in addition to there was plenty of room in the front of the poolside room to keep them. The rooms are very roomy, clean & very comfortable plus the added bonus of chairs & loungers that you have either outside of your room or balcony. Loved the heated pool for night swimming, free Starbucks blend coffee at the office with the very friendly staff. We sure made use of the charcoal BBQ’s area on the beach with the picnic tables and invited the whole clan over from the other motel.
The only shortcoming we had was a pet owner did not have a leash on his dog and the dog came out of nowhere that aggressively attached the 4 dogs 3 of us were walking. It took the man 5 minutes before he could get a hold of his dog. I cannot blame the hotel for this episode. You always have one in a crowd.
I would like to mention I was told by a local resident that dogs were not allowed on the beach and it was a $200 fine. After we were told that we just kept our dogs at the hotels beach & walked them in the street.
I highly recommend this motel. Our family that stayed at the other hotel decided they would stay at the Coquina on the next trip because we all loved the set-up & the large rooms.

Room Tip: Beachside rooms at not at the beach. They just face the beach and the pool.
1 Thank PaintedSunrise
On behalf of all of us at Coquina on the Beach, thank you for your recent stay and review with us!

We’re so thrilled to hear you all had a great time while in the area for your family reunion. We really enjoy learning that your expectations of our property and accommodations were exceeded once you arrived and settled in. And even better to hear that a few other family members will give our hotel the same opportunity in the future, too.

At the front desk, guests can pick up a handout of nearby pet friendly waterfront spots and also find us asking our pet owners to review/sign our pet policy which will remind everyone to keep their furry family members on leash, picked up after and about the county ordinance regarding dogs on Lido Beach.

We are disappointed to hear about your run-in with a pet owner who wasn’t complying with our policies. We have numerous signs about property to remind everyone and are always happy to re-remind someone if it’s brought to our attention.

Regarding your room tip, we do have rooms with a view that are nestled behind the pool and face the beach, but we also have some truly beachfront rooms, too, right on the sand. And, not to forget about our spacious rooms nearer our office and parking, but still only a hop and skip from the pool and beach without crossing any streets. Lots of options for lots of budgets. We hope when you return we can find just the right one for you again, too!

Kindly, -Tom Q., GM
Kissimmee
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had to listen to a teenager birthday party with a DJ for over four hours. The music thumped into our room which was just two doors from the "teenage party". When I went to speak to the staff about the noise, our complaint was taken with a smirk and comments such as "it is a birthday party lasting only a couple of hours, the music is not that loud, etc". When in fact the music lasted over four hours and we were not notified that this would be happening. How easy it would have been for the staff to have told us about this, our reservations had been made back in the spring. The two girls found our complaints to be silly and seemed to not understand why we could not understand it was JUST a birthday party. So much for rest and relaxation. We were there to celebrate a 70th birthday party in what was supposed to be a handicapped room, which it was not. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

3 Thank Penelope E
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am giving an overall rating of Average, but I think it is really somewhere between average and good. Upon arrival at Coquina I realized that this place was quite old and my main concern is that the accomodations are clean and bug free and was pleasantly surprised after checking out the room. This was a short notice booking and the main request was that the room have direct access to the beach. The room had a perfect access to the beach and the bedroom also had a great view of the beach. The accomodations met my expectations, with one exception-the TV could be a little larger as it was a distance from the sofa to watch the small screen, but no big deal as I was there to enjoy the beach and not watch TV!!!! Next visit (I hope there is another) I will be a little bit more prepared as there is a kitchen to utilize to cook meals, however the grocery stores are a fair distance from the hotel. I did not want to leave my parking space as I was afraid there would not be any when I returned as it was a busy weekend. We did not have any unpleasant experiences during our stay as other guests have reported in their reviews. A funny thing did happen as I pulled into the hotel and that is the parking spots are very small and I actually passed up 3 of them before I attempted to squeeze my vehicle into one and squeeze out my door to register at the office. Again, no big deal, guess I need to lose some weight!!! The staff are very friendly and I would love to come back again if possible. I would like to see some upgrades upon my return and of course would request the same accomodations. Thanks again for making my stay a short but pleasant one. Oh yes, loved relaxing in a hammock listening to my ipod music!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I would say if you want to walk out the door and be on the beach and have a view of the beach from y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Went on short notice - hard to find a room for three days. The price wasn't cheap at $189 a night, all included, but the room was dull and unimaginative. Couch was old and lumpy, furniture from Goodwill; sheets weren't bad but blanket and spread felt 100 yrs. old. Balcony was tiny. Daily service by staff was good, but overall upkeep by management was poor. They provide cheap beach chairs but no umbrellas. If you want to spend a day on the beach in Florida, you are going to need an umbrella! Good showerhead - yea! one thing we liked. Left after two nights - never to return!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathi S
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I normally write only great reviews on trip advisor. This is my first bad one :(
Went to spend my birthday weekend on the beach with my partner and sister.So we had two rooms facing the Gulf by the pool. Went to this hotel since my sister wanted to bring her small dog and the hotel is pet friendly. I knew that it was an older hotel (was built in the 60's)--- So even though its on the water its not about the price but really the basic upkeep and now the crowd that comes here to "party" on the weekends.
I have to say on a positive note ALL the staff that work here are VERY friendly and VERY helpful. I am sure they have to work around alot of daily problems. The place is not well maintained--they try but its a 60's built motel with a/c that is very noisy....Upon entering the room I found that the patio door lock was broken--there are no safe deposit boxes in the room so reported it and it was fixed quickly...But then we had a room that had hot water coming into the toilet (not kidding!) and the hot water had melted the flapper so much that the tank kept refilling itself (making constant noise) until finally the toilet stopped working; reported that and they came and fixed it. But the final straw besides this and the wear and tear of the place is that there was a group staying that decided to stay up until 2am in the pool having loud conversations and if you were in a room around the pool (the beach front building and most expensive) the only remedy was to blast the a/c and fan all night and drown them out. We complained at the front desk the next morning; the staff were nice. The receptionist said the hotel next door actually called them to complain about the noise from this one group- and before the staff left for the evening at 11pm they told this group to keep it down --but alas they didnt. (Even had their small children with them up late)
Then next morning there were kids in the pool (being kids!) playing around making lots of noise and totally unaccompanied by their parents--yup diving in a pool with signs all over NO DIVING.
The final straw was another family there with two large dogs they decided that they were above the common sense rule of pet friendly means keep your dog on a leash at all times.{the hotel has signs everywhere} My sister asked them to keep their dogs on a leash--they brushed us off- yet it was OK when their dog decided to come into my sisters room?--- Watched these owners walk around with the leash in their hand but never kept their dogs leashed--running on the beach--running around the pool--coming into our place and upsetting my sisters dog who was leashed at all times outside ....
While you cant control who stays at a hotel when you are there-- we decided to check out early so did two other guests while we were there. The staff was understanding we werent charged for the 4th night (we did check out before 11am)----Then later that afternoon while waiting for our rebooked flight by the pool (in my sisters room) a new group of people with bottles of beer in hand decided despite the "no drinks" in the pool rule that they were exempt too.....
Even the very nice young lady behind the reception desk admitted to the other guests who were checking out early when we did that with such a GREAT price that they are having problems with the crowd that comes there. It is what it is! But for around a $180 a night it was not expected to be a 5, 4, or 3 star event. Just a cozy nice charming place on the beach. It was on the beach like another reviewer posted and that WAS ALL it was....
I dont know what the solution for this place would be? Upgrading; fixing it and charging more? then not such a deal? But keep those looking for a inexpensive party atmosphere somewhere else? Not be "pet friendly"--shame that the abuse of some would mean those people that do respect common sense courtesy rules like keep your dog leashed at all times would have to suffer--But there are other hotels--like the Lido Beach Resort next door (not pet friendly though) and with the internet and travel websites discovered could have had a nicer place for really the same price range/ price point. So if you dont mind older hotels with lots of things breaking down; a bit of rust etc. sometimes a noisy weekend crowd (or just come here middle of the week?) then perhaps this is the place to be. Not for us. Never again. The area I will say is nice---the beach still was a bit of a mess from Tropical Storm Debbie back in June that washed up/ churned up alot of now rotting debris. But that is not the Coquinas fault....
I feel sorry for the staff that work there. I know they are trying hard to fix things and being very friendly --but the place needs a renovation. The "excuse" of what a bargain it is --is just that an excuse since if you shop around you can find better in the same price point for at least the building that is facing the Gulf (around the pool) which are the most expensive rooms.
Live and Learn.....

Room Tip: They do not have a restaurant nor a fitness center.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Atl404
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
On behalf of the entire staff at Coquina on the Beach, we'd like to thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your review.
I must say, we too, are disappointed about your overall experience. As the summer winds down, we are working towards many updates and remedies to much of what you've described in your review.
I am glad to hear that the issues with your guest room were resolved quickly after being reported. We strive for a property that highlights why it is more appealing for many to choose a quaint, old-Florida and family owned beach hotel like Coquina on the Beach vs. a large resort. We will continue to work towards a more positive experience for each guest because you've provided us with valuable feedback.
I am sorry to hear that there were some other guests during your stay that were not respectful of our pet and pool policies and our other guests. When noticed or notified, we will make every effort to address and resolve any concerns or complaints about other guests that are being disrespectful of the property and our guests. We strive to provide the convenient, comfortable and charming getaway everyone wants when they come to the beach and stay with us.
Although you've mentioned you do not plan on visiting our property again, we certainly hope you might reconsider. As the crowds subside this time of year, we are taking this opportunity to work on any repairs and updates each guest room might need after the end of what has been a very busy summer season and would anticipate a very enjoyable visit upon a return.
Please contact me directly to discuss any opportunity there might be for a future visit and/or any additional comments and requests.
Kindly, - Tom, GM
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The rooms were clean, and we had our own balcony facing the pool and the beach. There was even a real stove and full size fridge with everything you needed to cook with. Just bring some paper plates and cups and you are all set.
I came with friends that come here every year to enjoy their time share for a long weekend vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for the ones that look onto the beach or pool areas.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
On behalf the entire staff at Coquina, thank you for your recent stay with us and your review.

It is great to hear you enjoyed our cozy spot on the beach. Many guests find our fully equipped kitchens a nice surprise to a typical inefficient efficiency at many other hotels. As you mentioned, each guest room offers the convenience of a full size fridge, stove/oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot & filters as well as all the pots, pans and dishes, too.

Thank you to you and your friends and the furry ones for your recent stay. We hope to see you all back again soon!

Kindly, - Tom, GM.