“Beautiful beach but completely disappointing room”

Coquina On The Beach
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have stayed at this location since I was a kid. Have taken my children several times. This time a terrible experience and my children will never stay again. Our first room had huge holes in the wall and we were welcomed by bugs. Moved to our second room and the next night our room flooded halfway across the main room. I realize you cannot control heavy rain but the manager never bothered to apologize for the inconvenience. We had to stay up extra late trying to soak up water with towels and had the only room that flooded. The poor office staff brought towels but the managerial staff certainly made sure to avoid us. Very poor customer service I would say. Paint peeling everywhere as well as obvious structural decline. Very sad state overall.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to choose
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Carla T
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

On behalf of the entire staff here at Coquina, we’d like to thank you for your stay and your comments.

Perhaps more importantly than this, we would also like to extend another apology for the experience you’ve described.

We do take responsibility that the initial guest room you were checked into was not satisfactory. However, we had hoped that in offering you an alternative accommodation next door as soon as your concerns were brought to our attention, we were providing you with the customer service one would expect. We are thankful you brought light to these issues in that guest room so that we could have maintenance go in and immediately rectify the issues prior to the next guest’s arrival. Additionally, Amy, our property manager, spoke with you at length at the front desk the following morning in an effort to extend our apologies on behalf of the entire staff and provided additional compensation from management for the experience.

We appreciate you working with us regarding the water intrusion from the heavy downpour that second evening of your week-long stay. Unfortunately, it rained so heavily and for such an extended period that soil could not soak it up fast enough within the outside corridor by your guest room’s entrance.

I certainly understand your frustrations of having moved to an alternative accommodation and then met being met with another difficulty in this guest room too. Please understand that management and our entire staff work together closely at all times in hopes of providing all of our guests with a relaxing and enjoyable stay, especially as many of you do indeed return each year. I am sorry for where your stay fell short this time, but hope that your fond memories of visits past still subsist and that there might be another time in the future you’ll afford us the opportunity to live up to them again.

Regards, -Tom Quigley and staff

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Everyone we encounter was friendly, and truly enjoying themselves. I happen to believe that the beaches on Florida's Gulf Coast ar the best in the world (I've traveled throughout Europe, some Asia and all over the US). That said, the people who work at this hotel are delightful, full of helpful information and very friendly (highly recommend the Green Hopper, they work for tips only and provide easy transportation to St. Armand's Circle - beats trying to park never mind avoiding a DUI after a wonderful dinner and bottle of wine). The rooms are sad. Clean enough, but old and tired and the bathroom is in need of serious repair. The peeling tub and shower was very gross. There is no fan (actually saw one in the ceiling but it did not work) and there was no hair dryer (should be standard in a place like this). We only stayed one night, don't think I could have stayed two

Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank yayaAlyce

Thank you for your stay with us and your review.

We’re pleased to hear that you’re so fond of our area and certainly appreciate the sentiments regarding the west coast's beautiful beaches. Additionally, it’s great to hear that our staff was helpful and friendly and that our location on the beach and proximity to renowned St. Armand’s Circle for shopping and dining was ideal for you.

What we’re disappointed to hear was that you didn’t enjoy your accommodations with us as much. We do have maintenance on staff that is able to ensure your appliances and fixtures are working properly, as well as hair dryers and iron and ironing boards available at the front desk upon request.

We’re certain that if you had stayed with us an additional night we could have corrected your concerns and become your favorite little spot on your favorite beach.

Please contact us directly the next time you’re considering accommodations in our area and we’d be happy to chat with you regarding our progress with room renovations and updates.

Regards, - Tom Quigley and staff

Reviewed April 9, 2012

This has been said before, but some of the reviews of this property simply have unreasonable expectations. To get a suite right on the beach with a pool for under $300 is a good value. Expecting more at that price is unrealistic according to everything I've looked at.

PROS:
- Obviously, it's right on the beach. This cannot be overstated. We have a 4 and 6 year old and it is a very short walk out to the beach and that is very handy.
- Our room was fairly sizable. We had a 1 bedroom suite (#222) with a pull out couch in the living area and it was very nice having the extra space. We could put our boys to bed in the bedroom and stay up in the living area.
- The kitchen had a full fridge, a stove/oven, and a microwave. There were plates, cups, flatware, and a couple of pots/pans.
- Beach towels, beach chairs, an iron, and hair dryer were provided.
- One big advantage of staying at a smaller resort is that the beach is less crowded. As we walked down the beach to bigger locations, it was quite a significant difference in terms of the density.
- It was fairly close to St Armand's circle. It's about a mile walk, which is very doable if you just have adults along. We drove there with our kids, but when my friend and I went down for a drink, we just walked.

CONS:
- Several of the towels, both beach and bath were stained. Even at a property with a lower price, I would expect those to be replaced.
- Our tub/shower was peeling. There is apparently a coating on the tub, and it was coming off. Not a huge deal, but a little gross.
- There is no wi-fi. This is understandable given the value, but it would be really nice if they had this.

Overall, a positive experience.

Room Tip: We liked 222 as it was on the 2nd floor with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LukeMN
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2012

On behalf of the entire staff here at Coquina, we’d like to thank you for your stay with us this month. Additionally we appreciate the feedback for improvements and the kind words about your visit.

We are happy to hear that you found our property offered a great value for the location and accommodations. We strive for just that!

We are directly on the beach! No long corridors or waiting for elevators to take you downstairs, through lobbies to get to the beach. From whatever room you take, you’re only just a hop and skip to the surf and sand. Never any streets to cross! It’s a quick escape to the beach, but only if you can make it past our outdoor pool by the beach on your way.

I’m glad to hear you found the 1-mile walk to St. Armand’s an enjoyable stroll. Ask us about the “Green Hopper”, an electric vehicle that will pick you up and take you to the circle and only asks for a tip in return!

There are complimentary chairs at the pool and beach available for our guests, along with complimentary beach towels to borrow from the front desk during your stay.

I am disappointed to hear that you were given towels that were stained. The good news is, after an extremely busy winter season, we have re-stocked our linen supply with brand new towels for the guest rooms and the beach. We’ve also replaced and refreshed our inventory of bed linens, too!

I’ve already requested maintenance check out your bathroom and address any peeling paint with that guest room’s tub. You won’t have that trouble when you all return!

Other good news in hopes you all will plan a return visit will be that we’re working towards making free wi-fi available in other parts of the property besides our Front Desk. We’ll keep our guests updated regarding that.

Again, many thanks for your stay with us and your review! Hope to have you all stay with us another time soon!

Regards, -Tom, GM

Reviewed April 2, 2012

The beach was beautiful, hotel was descent. Checked in for a two night stay. Night one was good. day two was followed up with a knock at the door. Plumbing was out and they are not sure when it was going to be repaired. My family and I are on the second floor, 2 beds. They move us across the lot to another second story room (no elevator). We had to relocate a fully stocked fridge and luggage of 4 members with no assistance, or apology. The second room was a king and a sofa. I wasn’t going to let that experience ruin my vacation, but needless to say we will not be staying at Coquina again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Corrie V

On behalf of the entire staff here at Coquina on the Beach, we’d like to thank you for your stay with us this past spring.

First, I would like to extend our apologies for the inconvenience of the unexpected plumbing difficulty that arose during your stay. Unfortunately, while rare, an unforeseen plumbing predicament will arise from time to time at any property. In order to eliminate as much of its impact on a guest’s stay as possible, it is a best practice to move a guest to alternate accommodations that are unaffected by the plumbing problem.

In reference to your particular experience, our hope was that the upgraded pool and beach-view Suite accommodations from your non-view Patio Bldg, Studio might offset the inconvenience of plumbing issue at hand and the subsequent room move. However, it is also our practice to offer to assist in any way that helps make the move as smooth and convenient as possible. Again, I’d like to apologize if your experience did not reflect every effort of that practice.

We are disappointed to hear that you have no future plans to stay with us again. I hope that you'll reconsider and that we will see you back another time soon for a stress-free stay!

Regards, -Tom, GM.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

My review will have two parts, the good and the no so good.

The good:

(1) Wonderful location, we could walk across the hotel parking lot and be on the beach in a couple minutes. (The beach is very nice too!)

(2) The pool was heated. So in Winter (which is when we went) you could still get in and not freeze to death.

(3) Within walking distance to St Armand's circle and the wonderful albeit expensive downtown. Very trendy shops and very nice to hang out in during the evenings.

(4) For the price ($139), you can't get than anywhere at this time in that beautiful area and believe me we looked and looked. For the first two nights we stayed near the airport, at a different hotel, for $174.

(5) Lots of space in the room.

(6) The toilet flush, although noisy, was really powerful, so there was no need to worry that stuff would not go down.

(7) I like the glass wall, I could open up the blinds and have light all over the room.

(8) There was a kitchenette, which I am always grateful for. You can save so much money if you do breakfast and lunch for yourself.

The not so good:

(1) The furniture was stained and very dirty looking (the chairs were made out of material and there were lots of stains). I had to put towels on them and would not rest my skin on the chairs. Thank god for Clorax wipes. I wiped down everything. I always walk with wipes regardless of whatever hotel I go to. All in all, most of the furniture looks a tad bit old.

(2) The kitchnette cupboards were old and peeling, but we did not mind this. I always walk with dishwashing liquid and a sponge and I always wash the dishes we use, before and after we use them. So this really is not a knock on them at all. It was very convenient to have a kitchinette.

(3) The aircondition/fan was a bit noisy.

(4) Towels were thin and did not have a nice smell.

(5) There is no free WiFi. I don't consider WiFi in the lobby (only) as a hotel with WiFi.

All in all, for the price, it was okay. I could not believe that in Feb, the prices for hotels in Sarasota/Bradenton/St Pete Beach/Treasure Island, would be so expensive. So we did do okay. I will stay at Coquina again if we come to Lido Beach again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so make sure you can walk up stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Afar31
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We were looking for a pet friendly rental when we were lucky enough to stumble upon this location. The front desk clerk, Shannon went above and beyond expectations. When I needed a hair dryer, she offerred to bring it down to my room. The other staff were just as accommodating. We got an excellent suggestion for a restaurant that would deliver. Our room had just been painted and we had new mattresses on our beds. The hotel is definitely an older property and is not new and glitzy, but the location is great, the price is right and our room was very clean. We enjoyed chatting with the other guests and found everyone to be very friendly. Pretty much an older crowd and a few young families.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 99Happy
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Simple yet FABULOUS. You can't beat the location on the beach, away from the crowds. It's "old Florida" style, not shabby! If you're looking for luxury, go pay double the price elsewhere. For our family, this place is perfect! Going back soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family