“Peaceful, quite, clean, spacious, reasonable and ON THE BEACH! Going back real soon!”

Coquina On The Beach
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Simple yet FABULOUS. You can't beat the location on the beach, away from the crowds. It's "old Florida" style, not shabby! If you're looking for luxury, go pay double the price elsewhere. For our family, this place is perfect! Going back soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank AngelMommy2
There are newer reviews for Coquina On The Beach

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Coquina on the beach is a beautiful gem in Sarasota! My parents and husband and I ended up staying a few days longer than what we anticipated because it was such a relaxing place! We ended up staying a total of 10 days and each had our own rooms (2) which each had a kitchenette! I loved how the beach was just footsteps from the room!! Every morning we would go out and have a beautiful relaxing walk on the beach and picked up nice beautiful shells! The rooms are very beautiful and cozy and have a home feel to them. They are very clean! The staff was awesome and extremely friendly!!! I also enjoyed the heated pool!!! I would recommend this lovely place to anyone who likes to be close by the ocean but also enjoy to be so close to the action! It wasnt far to get to nearby attractions. It was one of those places that has something for everyone! I would defenetly recommend this place for anyone who wants to stay at a nice place with an affortable rate!!! I give it a 5 out of 5! :) Thank you for making our stay here so nice! I will defenetly be back in the near future!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ChristineRM
Reviewed February 6, 2012

we stayed here for one night following the excellent reviews on here. The location is amazing right on the beach. Pool is also lovely. Unfortunately what let this hotel down was the shabby room. We had a top floor pool/ sea view. While the view was lovely the room needs a makeover. Very spacious but a bit grubby. Worst thing was the beds which were very lumpy, one of them felt like it had partially collapsed. Sheets are grey with some stains and have seen better days.
we would try another hotel when next in the area. As mentioned in other reviews staff were very friendly & polite as I would expect.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amy499523
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

On behalf of the entire staff at Coquina, we'd like to thank you for your review and recent stay with us.

We have reviewed our guest history to help us in determine which guest room you stayed with us in for your January stay. As you mentioned, it looks as though you were in a 2nd floor, Poolside Bldg – Studio which would have offered you the great views of our heated and inviting pool along with spectacular glimpses of the beautiful Gulf beach, too.

We’re very disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent accommodations. Within the past six months, every guest room has been refreshed with a relaxing and tropical shade of green paint on the walls, as well as new Sealy Posture Premier mattresses to replace any older mattresses that didn’t lend themselves to a great night’s sleep.

Again, we appreciate your review and comments and will work to ensure other guests have a great getaway with us.

We hope that our location, value and efforts to constantly improve our accommodations and service might encourage you to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Wonderful friendly staff. Pet friendly. Convienent to everything we needed.

• Stayed: January 2012

On behalf of the entire staff at Coquina, we'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. We look forward your return with us next time you're in town with your family and furry friend!

Reviewed January 23, 2012

First, let me reassure the owner that this will be an overall positive review, in fact excellent. We enjoyed our stay here very much, and will certainly return. This is a place that I highly recommend. Yes, it's a tad shabby-chic, but what a terrific location and value!

Ok, that said, I am bothered by the fact that the establishment actively solicits TA reviews with a card upon check-in. Not to say that this is a necessarily bad practice, as I am quite the fan of TA. However, it has the potential to give an establishment an inflated number of reviews, compared to an equally great place with less reviews. I do appreciate that the owner monitors TA and appears to take feedback seriously. Most of the repair items we observed were things that have been noted by others, and are largely cheap and easy repairs, so I wonder? Hence my title of this review.

Reviewers comment about deficiencies. We saw peeling paint, creepy stains on chairs, etc, but for crying out loud people, this is an extraordinary value! Our place was clean and well-stocked. Service was attentive and exceptional. The pool was one of the very best - clean and very warm. The beach access and access to walking trails was amazing. Most of the guests have dogs, as this is a well-known dog friendly hotel. In spite of all the dogs, it was quiet as a pin most of the time, and always at night. We got a great nights sleep on comfy mattresses. The maid did an awesome job of taking care of our place, and the front desk was extremely responsive to all of our questions and needs. I probably should have asked about using the "authorized persons only ramp" but instead we opted to just carry all of our stuff up and down the steps ourselves.

Regarding no-Wifi in the rooms. In today's world we expect wifi in the room. Having it in the lobby is not adequate. This was a real disappointment. Guess we should have thought to ask, but I haven't stayed anywhere without it for so long, that you sort of forget to ask.

Room tip - we started out in the more expensive Beachview building. Our room was not working for us, so we were moved to a more inexpensive Poolside building room which we liked much better and still had an adequate ocean view from the room. Another tip, do not consider the use of a roll-away here. Sometimes they are not bad to sleep on, but the junker we were provided was a disaster. Management made it right however, and was extremely responsive to our needs.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mandre

I'm very pleased to read such a comprehensive review about our property and your experience. I'm certainly glad to hear that we were able to resolve any initial disappointments with your accommodations by finding you an alternate room that better suited your needs. With your review, we'll inspect our entire inventory of our rollaway beds to make sure they are a comfortable and viable extra sleeping option for guests.

I believe, based on your review, you actually shared this information with our staff at check-out (Thank You), and we are already in the process of perfecting the particular accommodations you stayed in. We appreciate your help with notifying us of issues that need our attention so we can better serve all our guests.

Additionally, I would like to mention that we do have a business card that asks guests, "Did you enjoy your stay? Let the world know!" at the front desk, as well as business cards for management contact and to ask guests if they'd like to join our email list.

Our hope in leaving this out for each and every guest to take and consider is that we will be rewarded with reviews that provide us the opportunity to learn what we are doing right at Coquina and how we can improve. We understand that by reminding guests they can leave their comments about us on the web, we have the best opportunity to truly know whether a guests needs were fulfilled or if we fell short. This venue allows guests curious about our property, a chance to read the good (&bad) opinions from others that have stayed with us.

Last, thank you for recognizing the hard work of our housekeeping staff and all that they do to provide extremely clean and comfortable rooms for all our guests. As well as the positive experience with the staff as a whole. We hope that all our guests leave with a sense that our service is our number one priority and we will do our best to provide the best to our guests.

We look forward to your return and wish you a great year ahead in the meantime!

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed here for a couple days based on some great reviews on tripadvisor. One reviewer said that they needed an update, but I thought that they were just being picky because all the other reviews were great. However, there was a lot wrong with this hotel. Here's some examples, one of the burners on the stove was out, the sliding glass door to the balcony would not lock, one of the electrical outlets had no cover, the silverware was dirty, the balcony chairs were so dirty we had to wash them before we could sit on them. There were also stains on the ceiling and stains on the chairs and carpet. There were some good things too. The pool was small but lovely. It was quiet. It was spacious. We had a bedroom with a king bed, full kitchen and livingroom. The living room could be closed off from the bedroom so that someone could be up reading and the other person could sleep. All in all not a great experience. It was cheap enough, but doubt I would go back again.

Room Tip: even with the oceanfront rooms the view is obstructed due to the buildings
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SophiesMom55
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

On behalf of the staff at Coquina on the Beach – we would like to extend our thanks for your stay and your review with us.

We are extremely disappointed to hear about the various issues you experienced during your stay. We certainly pride ourselves in providing comfortable, clean, quaint old-Florida style accommodations that do represent the positive reviews that are the majority for our property. I do apologize that we did not catch/address these issues prior to your arrival. While it certainly isn’t our hope that you come across an issue before us, if and when a guest does and notifies us, we will do our best to immediate remedy the issues.

Upon your departure, we appreciated the list with the issues you came across. This was immediately shared with our staff and management. I can also assure you and other guests that the issues you noted were inspected and rectified. We hope that you have received our correspondence by mail and that we have fairly addressed your concerns.

We welcome all guests to keep an open dialogue with us before, during and after their visit so that we may ensure the perfect stay on Lido at Coquina on the Beach.

Tom Quigley

Reviewed December 3, 2011

I read many of the reviews before booking and was a bit nervous as to what awaited with this particular hotel/motel.
I had booked this due to my office having our Christmas party nearby at Marina Jacks, didn't want to drive the hour or so home after having a few drinks, and wanted to bring our dog along so we didnt have to leave her at doggie daycare. It was also the best price I could get for the area that allowed pets.
I read the negative reviews about all the dogs and barking that goes on. NOT TRUE at all!!
Very quiet and I never even saw another dog. Our room was near the office and parking area. The beach rooms would have been awesome.
I was pleasantly surprised. The beach location was exactly what I expected. GORGEOUS.
The hotel/Motel was about the age I expected upon reading the reviews. OLD FLORIDA STYLE, but not too old. The room was spacious and clean. I had been nervous about what to expect. We brought along odoban and lysol. Did't need it!! The room smelled fresh and clean. The room was freshly painted and updated. Not a five star hotel but nice.
The only negatives I found, which are small negatives, the guy at the front desk was not that great at greeting, just kinda like heres your keys sign this, enjoy your stay. The pillows were flat. You need to bring your own iron and coffee. They do have a pot and filters, and dishes with their full kitchen.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pickygirl4682

We are so pleased to hear that your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations! We are glad that you found our property and accommodations clean, comfortable and convenient. We hope that you’ll decide you need another getaway with us again soon and find that our front desk staff has some new friendly faces with a promise of the best customer service on Lido Beach!

Please know, we’re always happy to find you a pillow that’s the right fluff, as well as provide you with a hair dryer, iron & board and fresh coffee at the front desk.

We think we have some of the best staff, from front desk to housekeeping, who look forward to ensuring your you, your family and even your furry friend have a great stay! Don't hesitate to come and make sure!

Tom Quigley, GM