“Delicious, Lip Smackin' BBQ”
Review of Roadside Rib Shack - CLOSED

Roadside Rib Shack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We got takeout on late afternoon. Having read of other reviewers' experiences with late night takeout being dry etc. we decided to try it under optimal circumstances, ie when they not too far along in the day. We didn't get any ribs, but got pulled pork and brisket and tried all three of their homemade sauces. Both pulled port and brisket were perfectly done and we expecially liked the tangy and original sauces (not so much the sweet or mustard). We will be sure the get a full meal when the need for 'Q hits us.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We got a carryout consisting of 1/2 slab of baby back ribs; full slab of shack ribs. The baby back ribs were over cooked; perhaps they had been in the heaters too long since this was an evening carry out. The full slab of regular ribs were also over done. Neither were very good; they just were not up to par. The good news is the staff was very pleasant. We have very good ribs where we live up north, so perhaps we had set the bar too high. Nonetheless will probably not return given the quality of the product we experienced.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I got take-out from this establishment some time ago and yes, it is good for BBQ but in my opinion, you can do better in Sarasota. The ribs were very, very greasy but still tasty. The sides were good, baked beans, mac & cheese. If there weren't LeeRoy Selmons and the little BBQ cart in Pinecraft (Aldey's BBQ) on the weekends I would probably put this even higher but those other two places have the best BBQ I've ever had. Still, for the money, you could do much, much worse.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place was recommended to us by several locals so we ate lunch there the other day. It is in a strip mall and has off street parking. It is just about a block east of 41.

It looked crowded when we were walking in and we thought that we might just carry out. But there are tables along the side too and we stayed and ate. I am glad that we did so we could try various sauces and get more iced tea. The wals are covered with old license plates and sign and it is super casual. Twice, the employees (maybe owners?) asked if everything was okay. I took a menu with me so we can go back again.

We ordered several combos. That baby back rib dinner order was really large (a half rack!); I shared mine with my son. It came with two sides. I had the pretty soggy corn (2 pieces) and some quite good baked beans. My husband had the ribs too, and also found too many to eat in a half rack. The combos for the half racks were $14.50, which was a really good deal. Each meal also came with a cornbread roll. One child got the Roadside Sandwich, which can be pulled pork and chicken, or just pork with BBQ sauce. It came with one side (he had fries, which he liked), some cornbread, and a drink. It was $9.50. Our fussy eater had frozen prebreaded chicken fingers, which is what you get for ordering them in a BBQ place! They weren't so good but he is not a barbeque guy.

There were three or four red sauces with various heat and sweetness you pump into plastic containers. There was also a mustard based sauce.

They sell meat only at fixed prices if you want it, and also pulled pork and beef brisket by the pound.

We appreciated the abundance of wet wipes; a good BBQ is a messy one, and this was a multui-wipe place! We will go again.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Well, don't go for atmosphere but BBQ places usually aren't known for that. Good sauces, good meat, good selection of sides, even the corn bread is good. Priced as it should be. Friendly staff. It's become a weekly stop for lunch. Parking is limited but there is a larger lot behind the restaurant.