“Great Thai food, and ambience”

Isan Thai Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 1,144 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Isan Thai Restaurant features authentic cuisine from the Northeast region of Thailand bordering Laos and Cambodia known as Isan. Owner Koong brings her home recipes to Isan Thai Restaurant, featuring items like Nham Clook that you will not find elsewhere. Isan Thai Restaurant celebrates the culture and tradition of Isan, with its delicious food, captivating folk dances, and the beautiful sounds of Thai country music. We have a separate lounge featuring quality beer and wine, an Isan/Thai-themed dining area, and outdoor dining.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

A really nice Thai meal, charmingly served and economically priced. They have a huge selection of imported beers too!

Will be going again!

1  Thank BarryC2010

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I love Thai cuisine and after moving to Sarasota had been disappointed on a couple of other attempts to find reasonably good Thai. In think Isan Thai was my third or fourth venture, and what a delight - especially being so close to my home on Siesta Key. The staff are friendly and helpful and quickly get to know their regular customers and what they prefer, and the food is always wonderfully flavorful, generously proportioned and delicious. My favorite is Chicken Panang curry, Thai hot. Friends to whom I've introduced the place love their Masaman curry and my brother, who visits from CT a few times a year, HAS to have at least one "Isan Thai fix" every time he visits, to enjoy a meal of their Panang curry with mixed seafood. Their Tom Kha Gai is out of this world - I could live on that stuff - and I like that, too, Thai hot, although any dish can be ordered as mild or as spicy as you want it. On various occasions I've been delighted with their Golden Triangle, Kanhob Jeeb, Fresh Roll, Thai Spring Roll, Crab Rangoon and Chicken Satay appetizers - all well-prepared and just very nicely balanced in flavors. The Crab Rangoon is sooooo good, but too fattening for me to have very often! : ) Isan Thai is now the go-to place where I can always count on a good Thai meal at a fair price - whether I drop in for a late lunch after business errands, or step out for a wonderful dinner without getting caught in the many tourist crowds that tend to gather in my area. Reservations are recommended between 6-7:30 in the evenings when they tend to be quite busy, or you'll end up waiting for a table. But it's worth it!

1  Thank AubeO
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I had dinner here Tuesday evening. We arrived without a reservation and waited in the bar area for a table to be ready in the dining room. We each ordered beers and an appetizer. My appetizer arrived first then we were seated in the dining room and ordered our entrees. About ten minutes later, my husband's appetizer arrived. We thought it odd that they were delivered separately -- I had the Golden Triangle (suggested by our waitress) and he had the Chicken Satay -- and they both were excellent. Our entrees suffered the same fate as the appetizers, arriving at our table about seven minutes apart, but again they were excellent. He had yellow curry chicken and based on a recommendation from our waitress I had Chicken Panang curry. I found the flavors of the Panang curry outstanding. There was a steady stream of people being seated as fast as the tables were being cleared while we were there, attesting to the popularity of the restaurant. I'd probably make a reservation next time we go there, and also request that our food be served simultaneously. There are only a couple of tables outside, and I personally wouldn't sit there because the restaurant is in a strip shopping center close to a major highway.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The food is consistently good and the staff is charming. We go here every couple of weeks during the winter and have never had a bad experience. Call for a reservation if possible as the place is small. Outdoor seating is possible, but it is just a couple of tables in front of the restaurant, which is on a main highway. Ambiance is much better indoors. We have never had trouble with parking, but have had to go around the side of the building.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I expected more based on other reviews. We live in MD, outside DC., and we get excellent Asian cuisine so perhaps our standards are higher.

Food was average but portions were large. Atmosphere is nice. It took longer for food to come out than expected including a Thai salad which usually comes out right away. Meat in thai salad was overcooked.

Best dish was Pananag curry. Meet was tender in this dish. They put a lot of vegetables in each dish which I liked.

1  Thank robin11