“A Wonderful Surprise”

Sofrito Mama's
Ranked #5 of 1,029 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Sofrito Mama's you will find mouth watering, home-style Puerto Rican cuisine. Our menu is filled with a wide array of reasonably priced, traditional meals for the entire family from fried appetizers, rice & beans, roast pork & stews, salads, to signature specialty dishes & delicious homemade desserts. Whether it's lunch or dinner, Sofrito Mama's Latin Comfort Food is just what you need to tickle your hunger fancy.
Anna Maria, Florida
“A Wonderful Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Do you ever have one of those days where you just don't know what you want to eat? My husband and I had one of those days this past weekend. We started talking about what we wanted for dinner at 10am and still hadn't made up our mind by 5pm so we decided we needed to shake it up and try something new. We were impressed by all the rave reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to give Sofrito Mama's a try.

I grew up in South Florida and am well-versed in Cuban and Puerto Rican food, and this ranks right up there with the best I've ever had not just in a restaurant, but homemade as well. The pork was fall apart tender, the yellow rice toothsome and flavorful, and the maduros perfectly caramelized. I was especially impressed by the spinach empanadas: they filling was sensational, and the crust was absolutely perfect - not too crispy, not too chewy, not too greasy. Everything was exceedingly well-priced, especially considering the generous portions and the owners were knowledgeable, warm, and personable. Tonight is my birthday and I don't care that I've already eaten there this week: I'm heading out to pick up a birthday feast for my family right now.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank AMIWaterfront

Sarasota
“Food is fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here after seeing it rated so highly on trip advisor. We were not disappointed. While there are a few tables outside to enjoy your meal, this is a very small restaurant with no indoor seating. However, the food is fabulous. I had the stewed chicken and yellow rice which was the best I have ever had. The chicken was tender and fell off the bone. The sauce that was used for the stewed chicken was a terrific addition to the yellow rice. My wife had the tostones and the beef empanadas and both were delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for some outstanding Puerto Rican home style cooking. You'll get your food on a styrofoam container which makes it easy to bring your leftovers home. I however, didn't have any.

Sarasota, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent small cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We were told that you would be able to half an order with your better half and this would make plenty for both and they were right. The portions are large and the taste was very good. We had chicken with yellow rice, pork with white rice, corn/beet/green bean salad and avocado/tomato salad.
We would recommend this small cafe to all

Visited April 2014
Sarasota, Florida
“Great flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Very authentic I loved everything I ate. My main concern was everything was fried. Couldn't find any healthy things

Visited February 2014
jlbolden, Owner at Sofrito Mama's, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you so much for your review LouLou. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your meal here with us!!! During your next visit, we'd like to introduce you to everything we have that is NOT fried as we do have a healthy selection of dishes for the health conscious diner. A few of our wholesome dishes include 4 different choices of beans & rices prepared with only fresh ingredients and extra virgin olive oil. We offer stews, pan seared sirloin steak w/ onion, slow roasted pork, several different daily specialty dishes, made-to order sandwiches, and fresh made salads. It would be our pleasure to assist you in putting together the perfect plate for you. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing and serving you again!
usa
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We are not familiar with Puero- Rican food, but we liked Sofrito Mama's. Non pretentious place, generous portions and everything was delicious. The flan for dessert was outstanding. Highly recommended.

1 Thank icecream79