“Muy Delicioso....mmmm!!”

Sofrito Mama's
Ranked #5 of 1,029 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Sofrito Mama's you will find mouth watering, home-style Puerto Rican cuisine. Our menu is filled with a wide array of reasonably priced, traditional meals for the entire family from fried appetizers, rice & beans, roast pork & stews, salads, to signature specialty dishes & delicious homemade desserts. Whether it's lunch or dinner, Sofrito Mama's Latin Comfort Food is just what you need to tickle your hunger fancy.
Grand Junction, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Muy Delicioso....mmmm!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

How do I love Sofrito Mama's, let me count the ways! Well let's start with the first and most important: the food. Your food will be made-to-order, so it is as fresh as can be. The recipes are completely authentic Puerto Rican and you can taste the love! Try the Roast Pork, it is succulent, moist, seasoned perfectly and not fatty at all. The empanadas are also wonderful; crisp and never greasy.
Next: the atmosphere. This is a small family-owned joint, and that works in their favor! Owners Jason & Alicia are gracious and welcoming. They are happy to help you through the menu, explaining their many selections. In addition to their regular daily menu items, Sofrito Mama's also offers daily specials such as Mofongo and Bacalaito.
Last: service/atmosphere. The staff is friendly and helpful, they seem genuinely happy to see you. The place is clean and neat, and if the weather is agreeable you can eat outside at one of their tables.
So do yourself a favor if you're in Sarasota and try Sofrito Mama's. It won't be your last visit!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank HollisK15

“UNBELIEVABLE!! SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I crave this place almost every day!! I've been here several times and not once have been dissatisfied. I typically get the roast pork platter with Spanish rice and a side salad for $10. Plenty of food for a great price. And let me say, i'm very picky with my pork, i refuse to eat fatty gross looking pork...never here will you get served that, its the good stuff!! I get mine to go, and every time, I'm tearing the box open while stopped at red lights, the aroma takes over my car and my mouth salivates. The stewed beans are awesome,I keep telling myself to order something else, but im hooked to the pork! The service is excellent, the food puts you on cloud 9, its a must go!!

2 Thank srqfoodie85
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SO GOOD THAT IT KEEPS YOU WANTING MORE, TRULY AUTHENTIC PUERTO RICAN FOOD!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My first trip to Sarasota to visit a friend and I was craving good Puerto Rican/Spanish food. She took me to a trendy little take out place inside of a shopping center called Sofrito Mama's. The place is modern, very clean and has a "spot on" menu with a great selection. They advertise "comfort food made with fresh ingredients, made fresh to order" and that is exactly what it is. They are very nice people and will help you with your selection if it is your first time experiencing food from this culture. DON'T BE AFRAID TO VISIT SOFRITO MAMAS...They speak English and Spanish and the menu is in both English and Spanish as well. They also have a few tables outside that you can sit and eat at. I have visited Puerto Rico a few times and have experienced authentic PR cooking and they nail it at Sofrito Mamas. Everything is made from scratch and the value is great. I had breaded steak, yellow rice, tostones (fried plantains) and a side salad ....excellent! If you are in the area...it's a must have!!!!

1 Thank Dyverse-Philly
SofritoMamas, Owner at Sofrito Mama's, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We hope your visit to Sarasota was a pleasurable one. Thank you for taking the time to write such an outstanding review on us. It brings us great joy to know that we serve food that is both good and authentic. Hope to see you again soon!!!
Sarasota, Florida
“Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Ordered the tostones and a bacalaito for appetizers. And we got two orders of roast pork with arroz con gandules and avocado and tomato salads. And just before walking out the door we decided on a flan (wife) and budin de pan (me). Before we arrived home the bacalaito was history as were the tostones. I kept licking my lips which continued to taste of garlic and plaintain. Yum. The pork was moist and well seasoned and the arroz con gandules also featured green olives which is just the way I like it. I haven't had authentic Puerto Rican cooking since I sold my condo in Isla Verde some twenty years ago. This meal was stepping back in time. I can hardly wait for next week so I can get there for mofongo with pork. And they also make pasteles. I may be a mainlander but I have a Puerto Rican stomach and this is just the place for it. This is basically a take out but they do have a couple of tables out front just in case you can't wait to feast. Looking forward to a return trip.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank pensman
SofritoMamas, Owner at Sofrito Mama's, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. It was our pleasure serving you and hearing what you have to say about us. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
“Great food and friendly service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

I had Sofrito Mama's for lunch with coworkers recently. Jason, who appears to be the owner, greeted us and helped make suggestions on what to order. This really is a take-out place, as there is no indoor seating. There is several tables out front that are well shaded, though.

I had the roast pork and white rice/beans. It was delicious. The pork was high-quality, with almost no fatty pieces. For $7, the portion size was outstanding. My coworkers had empanadas, which they said were great as well.

We will definitely be regulars there from now on!

1 Thank hessjere1