“Left me wanting....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Darwin's on 4th - CLOSED

Darwin's on 4th
Cuisines: American, Peruvian, Brew Pub, Spanish, Contemporary, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Left me wanting....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This restaurant teeters on our 'worth a revisit' list. Gastropubs are small, intimate and personal experiences. You walk into to this dark cavern and immediately know that the term is being loosely used. Kudos for the live music; it was appropriate for the cuisine and yet not overpowering for conversation. What this restaurant excels in is it's commitment to fresh ingredients. Our drinks were clean, crisp and vibrant. In a world a canned, tired cocktails, their bar offers up drinks refresh and delight. Our food continued on this theme. Excellent ingredients, not overpowered by seasonings made for tasty appetizers. I had the asparagus taco and this was an example of the meals' shortcoming. The taco had one spear; it definitely would have benefitted by one or two more. My husband had the lobster appetizer and it too was lacking enough meat. Entrees were no better. My skirt steak was probably no more than 3 oz precooked. It was lost in a sea of plantains. My husband had the special and that seemed a bit more even handed with it's servings. Overall, every dish was tasty and fresh but just lacking in the main ingredient. Once the kitchen gets the balance correct, we may revisit

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Sarasota, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What happened to this place?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Unfortunately I will never return to this restaurant, which I used to enjoy. Between the barely present service, tiny portions and so-so food I was incredibly disappointed. We were overcharged twice on the bill and treated rudely by the staff. The entire experience was awful.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RitaMckenzie
“Great Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I have only been here once and it was for a friend's wedding reception and the food was fabulous! We were only served bits and pieces from their menu, but everything that was offered tasted amazing! I am not too sure about the prices, but I will make it a point to revisit this place!

“Excellent Diner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend I play golf with. Took a chance for my wife's birthday. Very pleased. The young gentleman that served us, Antonio, was very helpful with recommendations, all good. Our appetizers, Mixed Ceviche, Beef Ceviche, and the Wahoo Tira (recommended) were really good. Entrees were the Veggie Entree, Duck, Short Ribs, and the Lomita Al Jugo. All were exceptional in taste and the portions were just enough. Their deserts were a perfect ending to an overall excellent meal and dining experience. I would highly recommend Darwin's On 4th for a great dining experience.

Visited March 2014
Billings, Montana
“Good food but slow service, small portions and noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere and spread out. Went for dinner March 6 with another couple. We are residents of Sarasota. If you sit at the bar forget about conversing. The music by the stage performer was overwhelming .
Why must music be played so loud ? Truthfully, I don't get it. No one likes yelling to converse. The waitress was very sweet but took care of a number of tables and was slow. I had the skirt steak. It was very tasty but at 27 dollars extremely small. House salad was good. My friend had the Tuna which was good but also a very small serving. Rolls are tiny little buns with an unusual taste and texture. The only thing worth the money was the hamburger. If you like presentation you will like this place. If you want food to satisfy your appetite which is adequately portioned this place is not for you.
A nice trendy place with nice ambiance . I wouldn't go back.
Also, if you are going to show the open kitchen at least have the workers wear attire that presents a higher image .

Visited March 2014