“Now I'm a big fan of Peruvian cuisine”
Review of Darwin's on 4th - CLOSED

Darwin's on 4th
Cuisines: Contemporary, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Now I'm a big fan of Peruvian cuisine”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Found this restaurant and decided to take a gamble and invite my Manager to join me. Boy, did I ever get points for that decision as the food was exceptional! Had the bbq guava salmon with beer braised collards and it was the best salmon ever. My Manager had the malbec short ribs and was also raving over it. Rolls appeared to have been stuffed with cheese and were also tasty. Everything I consumed was exceptional. Wait staff is very friendly and helpful but there are not a lot of wait staff so service was not johnny on the spot. As my focus was on the food quality, taste and presentation, I was not disturbed by a little delay with service.

Sarasota, Florida
“One and Done”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We are fans of Darwin Santa Margarita's restaurants but were disappointed with this one. It's incredibly noisy, the food was average at best and the service was below average. It's priced as an upscale restaurant but doesn't deliver the goods. Our party of four all agreed this would be our one and only visit to Darwin's.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ThomasP682
Michigan
“Valentines day ”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We made reservations weeks ago and they first decide to sit us at a pub table at the bar area where noise and drunks are all over then after some persuasion they move us to the quiet side where clearly it was not so busy. Took some time for some service, recommend bottle water over Tap. Our service was slow and it was that busy at 8pm to be that way. We ordered chicken wing appetizer was okay. I got the skirt steak everyone races about, mental note skirt steak is very chewy (5min a bite if u like to enjoy the taste and not scarf) it does not melt in your mouth. The plantains were good but the beet sauce after 5 min was way too sweet where I didn't care if I had dessert. Banana flan dessert was bland bananas tasted old. I was not impressed, if like to return to try their burger that got such great reviews but a little skeptical now. Sorry darwins I do not approve yet.

Columbia, Maryland
“Ask the locals”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were at the Ice House, a museum, and asked the director for a restaurant recommendation. He mentioned Darwin's as being among the best and he was right. We sat at the Chef's table and watched Darwin himself at work. To his right and left cooks were working steadily and it all ended up with Darwin's beautiful presentation. It is sort of a brewery but not pub style food. The style is Peruvian and the menu is very diverse. I had sea bass while those around me had ceviche and a beef dish called "lomo saltado". Everyone in our party was delighted with the meal. There is a lot of good food in Sarasota but this was the best we had.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Peru Meets Asia”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Located in old Sarasota in a former produce market. The decor of Darwins takes you to South America. It's very roomy and stylish decor The menu is interesting with it's Asian fusion of Peruvian food. My wife and I started with the "tiradito platter". This appetizer allows you to select 4 of the options on the menu. We took the beef ceviche, octopus tiradito, tuna tiradito and kim chi. For entrée we ordered the Skirt Steak and Arroz Contact Pato (Duck). Both flavorful and cooked perfectly. For dessert, we had pastel De Tres (cake in 3 milks)
Of course for a wine we had to "go with the flow" and buy a South American Malbec (Piattelli 2011) for $40. The wine list is moderate high, so tough to get anything under $40.
With all the above, the bill with tax came to about $150. Although the wine was highly priced, everything else was fairly priced for the style of food served.
The service was excellent and the owner was very engaging and welcoming. It's a must experience place when you're in Sarasota.