“Great happy hr”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Darwin's on 4th - CLOSED

Darwin's on 4th
Cuisines: American, Peruvian, Brew Pub, Spanish, Contemporary, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
columbus oh
“Great happy hr”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Happy hr. Check web page for hours. Various options including seafood, appetizers etc. All were $5-6(including beers and wines). Sirloin burger was $12 but half the group had it and raved about it. They also brew their own beer and have won some nice awards. Hidden gem. Blue rooster next door is also worth a visit.

Visited January 2014

Sarasota, Florida
“Service not up to par”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have been to Darwin's a number of times and have been pleased. However, the service on this visit was not good. Our server had an attitude that we found off putting. It took an extremely long time for our appetizers and drinks to arrive although the beers are very good. Great Burger. All in all the food was good but because of the service it may be awhile before I return.

Harwich, Massachusetts
“Hip, good music and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We went for dinner with another couple. The restaurant had a younger crowd which was nice to see. We all ordered several small plates and we all loved them. I had the chopped salad and the men had steak kabobs and a salad with couscous and veggies. Everyone raved about their dish. I ordered a helping of the corn munchies and we all enjoyed them. Definitely will come back.

Visited January 2014
“Excellent dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a very pleasant and enjoyable dinner. The food was very good - we had the classic ceviche, Andean Chaufa De Quinoa, braised ribs and Pato (duck breast). The building and room were very elegant and the atmosphere great. We enjoyed the live guitar music and the service was excellent.

Bradenton, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a Great Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were whisked away to Darwin's for a surprise celebration. And what a surprise it was - I'm still unsure how, but I didn't even know this restaurant existed. Now that I do, we will definitely be back!

It's a wonderful, casual atmosphere with fantastic food. Like I said, it was a celebration so there were 7 in our party. A little advanced planning gave us a fairly private space upstairs on a quiet evening. And with 7, there is ample opportunity to try out several of the menu options (a bonus for me).

For and appetizer, the ceviche was nicely done - seafood was the right consistency with a citrus punch: the octopus wasn't chewy, the shrimp wasn't soggy, and just enough spice to make it interesting. The less adventurous members of our group went for the breaded calamari and duck sauce. It was quite good as well (and I love it when they include the tentacles in the dish). A bowl of chowder made it around the table too - a great flavor without screaming 'CLAMS'! You could actually taste the other ingredients in the soup.

Overall the entrees at the table hit nearly every option available: rack of lamb served with a parsnip puree and cilantro pesto that couldn't be better prepared; their version of paella that was so good it had people licking the mussel shells to get every last bit; but the hands-down winner of the night was the duck. I definitely had order envy after tasting it. The one bite I was allowed to have just melted in my mouth. Unfortunately, the friend who ordered it was armed with a steak knife, so there was no chance to get a second bite.

Desserts were not a let down either. It seems that so often desserts are an afterthought. The Darwin twist on creme brulee was surprising (not really a brulee as I understand it), but the depth of chocolate flavor was intense and so rich that I wouldn't be able to handle a larger portion. A trio of sorbets in raspberry, lemon, and banana received rave reviews ("this is the first time I've ever eaten a banana sorbet that I actually loved"). The chocolate pot was exactly that: a dark chocolate bowl & lid filled with milk chocolate and white chocolate mousse. But the thing that almost started a fistfight among our table was the poached pear with goat cheese ice cream. I know at least one elbow was thrown to keep the ice cream away from someone else.

This was a sort of an engagement/bachelor(ette) party for my partner and I. Friends set the whole thing up behind our backs - beyond knowing we were being picked up for the evening, we had no idea what to expect. If I had known dinner would be this good, I would have stopped worrying long before I did.

We are definitely going back to try the items we skipped over this time.