“Horrible Meal and waited over an hour just for our appetizer”
Review of Canta Rana - CLOSED

Canta Rana
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Osprey Avenue
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were very excited to try Canta Rana after hearing so many great reviews. The entire experience is something that I wish I could erase from memory. The ordering of the wine went fine and then the problems began. They were out of quite a few things on the menu and then when we FINALLY (over an hour just for the appetizer) got our food, it was awful. My soup was so thin and appetizing, I did not even bother to eat it. They took a small amount off of our bill but it was still over a $150 for 4 people whose meals were all unacceptable. I will not be back.

1  Thank andikw24

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We had made reservations on a Friday night at a reasonable dinner hour (7pm). We were greeted and seated promptly...and then the trouble began. They were "sold out" of almost everything we wanted to order, including the sangria. When we finally ordered the items that were available, it took an hour for the food to come to the table, no exaggeration. We were about to walk out in disgust. At the very least, they could gave brought some bread or something, but nothing was offered. I can't even say it was worth the wait because the food was nothing special. The wine (which they were also out of, so we went with something the waitress recommended) was awful.

1  Thank Pk N
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food was great, especially the ceviche mixto and the lomo saltado. Before entering, I was surprised that the restaurant is a high end restaurant because it looks like a little quaint place from the outside and Peruvian food shouldn't really be pricey. I lived in Peru for three years, so I can tell you that the food is authentic, but lomo saltado is a working man's dish and shouldn't cost as much as it did. The sign says Peruvian Fusion, but the dishes seemed to be pretty standard Peruvian fare. The owners (Peruvian wife, Puerto Rican husband) were super nice and made sure that everyone was happy with their food and service. The live music was relaxed and nice. Too bad they don't have a liquor license because I was hoping for a pisco sour. They do have beer and wine, and had two Peruvian beers for sale.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food is interesting and I hope the Chef's challenge of changing the menu frequently works for his business.

Service was good and the food interesting and good. We all enjoyed our different entree's and the desert sampling was just awesome!

I hope they remain for when we return for another visit to Sarasota. Parking is easy and the location is good.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Cozy location in old house. Servers attentive, personable. A musician with guitar played non-intrusive background music- however not Peruvian , but vintage poignant American ballads.Thank goodness no Peruvian pipe players!The "fusion" part of their "Peruvian Fusion" menu has disappeared. No bread; you get a small plate of dried corn kernels and a tiny bowl of tasty but hot sauce to dip them in (very hard to hold a single kernel of corn for dipping!). Only one in our party of 4 thought they were good, but they were definitely unusual. We had 4 different items- a mixed seafood Ceviche appetizer, expensive but large enough for 4 to share, was lacking in flavor- heavy lime flavor, little else. A shrimp main dish was heavy garlic, fine flavor but had only 5 shrimp that would only grade at the upper end of "medium" size on the plate, still with tails on though it was a fork not a finger dish. Sparse for the price. Lamb dish fine flavor, interesting beer-based sauce, looked like decent sized serving but turned out to be half small bones and fat, a mysterious cut. Beef in a wooden keg (yes!) was good. Overall not the super or unusual meal we hoped for but inventive and adequate, and definitely on the expensive side for what you got.