“Great oyster happy hour!”

Half Shell Seafood House
Ranked #70 of 1,065 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Half Shell Oyster House has five locations. The first one opened in the summer of 2009 in Downtown Gulfport, MS and the second in Downtown Biloxi, MS. The charbroiled oysters are legendary and the atmosphere will make you feel like you've stepped back in time. Located in the historic Kremer building in downtown Gulfport, the "Half Shell" or "Oyster House," as locals have abbreviated it, serves the Southern delicacy freshly shucked on the half shell, charbroiled over an open flame, BBQ, Rockefeller and Bienville. We expanded to Florida in 2012 with the opening of our Sarasota, FL restaurant. Our fourth location has opened in Hattiesburg, MS. Our newest location is on the corner of I-65 and Airport Boulevard, at 3654 Airport Boulevard, Mobile, AL 36608. Our oysters are outstanding, but if you're not in the mood for oysters, Half Shell has a vast menu with something for everyone, lunch or dinner. Start your meal with New Orleans style BBQ Shrimp or a Seafood Stuffed Portabella. The Half Shell Salad with avocado, goat cheese and toasted almonds is great paired with a cup of gumbo. We feature daily and monthly specials utilizing locally caught fresh fish and seafood. The burgers, poboys and sandwiches are all good too. Or, try one of our steak or chicken creations like the Chicken Half Shell with Alfredo sauce, sundried tomatoes, capers and artichoke hearts. Seafood specialties include classic Shrimp and Grits and hearty Seafood Pot Pie. Whatever you choose, it'll be served with warm Southern hospitality in a unique atmosphere that complements the food. Exposed brick walls, wrought iron railings, unique French Quarter lighting and architecture frame the room. Each location offers a beautiful and unique setting for your dining experience. Each of our locations has semi private areas for your party or banquet needs. Or, just pull up a stool at the long copper bar, order a cold one and watch your oysters be grilled to perfection. For lunch, dinner or happy hour, Half Shell Oyster House is sure to soon be your old favorite.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was a great restaurant for happy hour we had delicious oysters beer and other snacks I highly recommend it! The oysters were very good very reasonably priced and were delicious.

1  Thank GGWD

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband, mother, and I took our daughter here for lunch for her 1st birthday.

Most people would think that such a high end place wouldn't be child friendly but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I called ahead to make sure they had high chairs ( welcoming to children?) which they said they did have high chairs and a children's menu; so that was that. We were off to a nice birthday lunch for my newly minted 1 year old.

First and foremost the restaurant is located in a very walkable part of the city; definitely a plus. When you enter the building it is beautiful and tastefully decorated. My mother said it reminded her of New Orleans architecture.

Moving on to the personnel: everyone was lovely to us, from the host, to our server, to other servers that weren't even waiting on us!

Lastly, but most importantly, the food. All of us ordered off the pick two menu(besides our daughter of course). Each meal was roughly $10 so absolutely priced right. My husband and I had sweet tea to drink which was perfection. My husband and mother had a half shell salad which was very good. I had a garden salad which was very fresh. My mother had a Ruben which looked mouth watering. My daughter had the grilled cheese which she seemed to enjoy. Also we a llowed her a few French fries which were very good.

They also offered my daughter a complementary bananas foster cheese cake which she loved digging into. The staff was so sweet to her (it doesn't hurt she's so stinking cute and very well behaved at restaurants)

I wish I knew my waiters name but he was so nice, as was the host. I would return and I will also recommend others!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went our 1st night in Sarasota on recommendations from TripAdvisor. Beautiful building with a New Orleans kind of vibe with wrought iron and brick. We had a great parking space in front of the place when we went late on a Saturday. Place was empty except for one other couple. The oysters we the best part of the meal! They were very well done in different flavors and I would go back just for them. I also had the voodoo shrimp and bbq shrimp. Both were just average. Shrimp were small and not enough spice in either dish. I have had bbq shrimp dozens of times in my life and fix a pretty mean version myself but this one was jut bland. And with a name like voodoo I expect a little heat but that was totally missing any heat...very mild. Salad was nice and service was excellent but entrees missed.

1  Thank 2TotallyOld
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Tried to go for supper but no time so tried for lunch. Very glad we did. We had great oyster combination . The rockfeller were great, others were not classic presentation but had good taste. We would go back.

1  Thank babbydaddy52
Reviewed September 10, 2013

In Sarasota for a week and had read the reviews of the HSOH on Trip Advisor and went to dinner on a Wednesday evening at 6:00. We and another couple were the only ones there and got a nice table by the window. Nice Décor. We had drinks, (average pour) and the Oyster Sampler to start which was great and would highly recommend. Companion had the seafood stuffed Portabellas and enjoyed them. I had the peel and eat red shrimp which sounded good, but were dry and not spicy at all. A disappointment. Service was good and waiter gave a sample taste of wine before ordering, nice touch. All in all an average meal, but if you like oysters this appears to be the place.

1  Thank rt113