“Live Bug in my food--don't eat here!”
Review of Elaine's Cafe - CLOSED

Elaine's Cafe
Cuisines: American
Sarasota, FL
“Live Bug in my food--don't eat here!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My friend and I went here for lunch yesterday. I had not been in here since the restaurant had changed names/owners. I ordered a seasonal fruit salad with grilled chicken. At first look, the salad look appealing--cut strawberries, blackberries, grapes, lettuce, and the grilled chicken. I began eating the salad when I noticed something moving on my plate. Upon looking closer, I saw a live bug trying to hide under a sliced strawberry--YUCK! I got the attention of one server, and showed her my plate and the bug. Her comment to me..."well, at least it's not a 'major' bug"...what!!!!??? I asked her what a "major bug" was, and she walked away. Our server eventually came to our table and asked if I wanted another salad. Uh, no! She then stated that she would ask what they were going to do about it. Well...how about taking it off of my bill?! We then received the bill, with the salad deducted (but, still charging us for my friend's lunch, drink, and my iced tea) and I approached the cashier. I asked for the manager, but the owner, Elaine, came out. I explained what happened and she stated "oh, I was in the back but I heard about that. Sorry 'bout that." That was it! Nothing sincere about it.
I will never eat here again, and will advise all of my friends to do the same. Previously, this was a well-known Amish restaurant with excellent food and service and was CLEAN! Not so now.
DON'T EAT HERE!!! I am still disgusted today!

“Good place to eat”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Been there a couple times for breakfast with the guys. Nice place. Quiet. Decent food. Good prices. Not fabulous, but good enough that we will be going back.

“Rip off”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I went here for breakfast today. I ordered 2 eggs w/toast (4.75). I asked the waitress what it would cost for a pancake instead of toast. Her reply was $1.00 or more. I told her I was OK with $1.00. When the bill came, my breakfast cost me $8.50. when I asked her about the cost of the pancake, her reply was she told me it was a dollar or so and it was big. I told her I wouldn't have paid 8.50 for 2 eggs and 1 pancake. The manager at the front desk argued with me pointing to the menu that explained it. After arguing with this guy for a few minutes about what the waitress quoted me, he opened the cash register and gave me $3.00. My issue was the deceit and the manager's attitude. Never again!!!

“Good family food!!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We went here for lunch and it was wonderful. Nothing fancy but good meal and the servers were very friendly. We soup and sandwich's for lunch and it was very tasty. We will be bringing our children back for breakfast this weekend.

Detroit, Michigan
“Gross”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Flavorless, French toast disgusting. Under cooked potatoes
Not even salt or pepper on them, biscuits to big and gravy was sticky and tasted like flour. Never going back. Complained about the French toast
Servers reply was everybody loved them yesterday. REALLY?