“Best pork I've ever eaten.”
Review of Maximo's - CLOSED

Maximo's
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Pork bruchetta was excellent. Free wine with opera ticket. Sophistocated but friendly. (Ignore the snooty opera goers and you'll have a great time.)

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Maximo's has reincarnated itself downtown after several years on Siesta Key. The setting is in an historic building, just around the corner from Sarasota's Opera House and affords attractive settings for both indoor and outdoor dining.

On our recent visit my wife had exquisitely prepared lamb curry, while I opted for veal scallopine pizzaiola. Maximo's offered perhaps the highest-quality, most tender veal that I have consumed during twelve years of living in Sarasota. Just a wonderful dish.

Maximo's, also, has a heritage of South African and Ethiopian cuisines and wines, which I also would highly recommend for those who wish to experience some new delicious flavors. The wine list also highlights many good South African wines.

Although its likely sound passé these days, it's worth mentioning the Maximo's tiramisu is not to be missed, a paradoxically ultra-rich, but light, confection that simply disappears from your plate before you know it.

Lastly, the service is capable, attentive and professional, which is so much appreciated.

Overall, I would highly recommend this establishment for an enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

Tonight I visited Maximo for the third time. Each time I had something different, and each time I enjoyed it thoroughly. I've eaten there on consecutive Tuesday nights before the opera; and we took friends there on Sunday for lunch, again before the opera.

Everyone we've taken into Maximo's has loved it. The fried calamari that another reviewer found distasteful was called "delicious" by our guest on Sunday. I regularly order one of the appetizers and a salad because I can't usually finish a large dinner; and each time this combination has been a winner. Tonight I had a goat cheese salad and a lovely ostrich dish. Two of our guests ordered the lamb curry and loved it. The wine list is diverse and well priced. The staff at Maximo's is charming and attentive, including the owner, who regularly comes around to the tables to ask his customers whether everything is satisfactory. The outside garden is a lovely place to sit for dinner, with its subdued, lighting throwing beautiful shadows on the wall. My only fear in giving this wonderful new restaurant a really high rating is that it will be too crowded when we return for dinners before the La Musica series.

1  Thank Chesterlady
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We came to the Sarasota area January 1 and within a week a I met a local guy on the golf course who said "my favorite restaurant in Sarasota just reopened." I remembered the name Maximo, and my wife and I went down that evening to check it out. We weren't really that hungry, but the menu was so enticing we had to split an appetizer and the lamb curry. Outstanding! Ostrich carpaccio? An enticing menu. Plus, we had personal attention from Max himself.

Well, in the two months we were in town we enjoyed the Maximo experience six more times. Antelope bresaola, tuna tartare, the best salmon ever, incredible service from Carly, Ryan, Thomaso, Krista, and the last night there was even a great piano player on the outdoor patio. (Who let me sing with him).

A perfect combination of ambiance, service and great food. Our new favorite restaurant indeed.

2  Thank whatever5
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We ate outdoor in a lovely setting, quiet despite the opera crowds gathering outside. Food was very good, especially the South African curry. This is the third restaurant the current owner has been involved with at least since we have been in Sarasota; we had a pleasant evening and will return.

1  Thank E1mb