“Very Good Service - Average Food”

Tropical Thai Restaurant
Ranked #319 of 1,038 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Thai
Sarasota, FL
“Very Good Service - Average Food”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've eaten here several times and had several different dishes. Overall, I tend to agree with other reviewers that the food tends to be more Chinese than Thai. The vegetables are always fresh and crispy. The sauces no matter what the name seem to be the same, a brown style sauce. Not bad, Not great. They do have curries, which I've only tried one time and really didn't like compared to other Thai restaurants I've dined at. At the start of the meal they do serve a small complimentary green salad with a very nice dressing that no one at our table could quite pin down a name on. Must be house made. It's very light & creamy. They also serve a complimentary bowl of broth with a few rice noodles thrown in. The broth is rather bland in my opinion. It lacks that freshness of other broth I've been served at Thai restaurants with a hint of lemongrass or other fresh herbs. On a positive note, the atmosphere is very relaxing with dark wood oriental carvings, soft music, and a nice retreat from the hustle & bustle of the other main street restaurants. Except for the food is just average.

• Visited November 2012

Sarasota, Florida
“There are far better Thai restaurants in sarasota”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our Wineing Diners dinner group went to tropical Thai for dinner last night and I was very disappointed. The service was poor and the food was average, considering only one other table was full when we arrived there is really no excuse. The atmosphere was not great, many of the tables were actually broken and falling apart. We had to hunt the server down to place our food order. No drinks, rice, etc. were ever refilled. We actually wondered if our server hated us. I had crab rangoon and chicken curry and the best thing about the food was that it came on a fish shaped plate. If you are looking for good Thai and great service, The Drunken Poet is a few doors down and is still my favorite, I think Tropical Thai has seen its day.

• Visited November 2012
Orlando
“More chinese then Thai”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

I had the crispy duck, which i akways wat when we eat Thai.
I have to say this was the worse thai food i ever had.
Tasted more like chinese and very bland.
My husband had yellow chicken curry with vegetables.
The same bland taste.
Very dissapointing.
Do not eat here.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Great Service and good food.”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Had the tempura Squid to start. They were very crispy and tender but not very meaty. I decided to try a item from the Macrobiotic menu. The all vegetarian (Sauteed bean sprouts with carrots, snow peas and cashew nuts. It was different than anything I ever had, but very delicious. After taking half home and reheating it with a bit of Sriracha sauce it was even better. Guess next time I need to order it hot. Just realizing they never asked me about how spicy I would like this dish. The change(pennies,Quarters) in the beautiful carved wooden tables is a little nasty. It might be time to bring it to the bank or donate it to a good cause.

• Visited July 2012
US
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Edible, but no flavor. Stopped eating my meal bc I was so bored with it. Place was tacky and dirty, bathrooms were filthy. Would definitely not return.

• Visited April 2012