“Great Local Restaurant”

Piatti
Cuisines: European
“Great Local Restaurant”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We tried Piatti for the first time this past weekend and I have to say that it exceeded our expectations. It was early and we weren't in the mood for a large meal so we shared an appetizer and a salad and ordered a couple of drinks.

The Bistro truffle fries were excellent. The Parmesan cheese was a nice touch and the fries had a great flavor. I have the wedge salad and my wife had the Piatti salad. They were both very good. We had never had a salad with mango on it before and she really liked it.

The service was good, our server was friendly without being "too friendly". We look forward to eating here again.

• Visited April 2013

Sarasota, Florida
“Nice Decor - shame about the rest”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were looking for a local place to eat. We had heard that the pizza's were good and the place looked attractive. Very modern inside - thick glass bar counter, shiny metal seats and granite topped tables gave a light and airy feel.
There was a wide range of wines - but bottle prices were a little steep.
The place was almost empty - perhaps 6 customers on a Tuesday evening.

My wife decided on a $5 Jamieson's which was quite a bargain, but I passed on the Green Beer at $2 and went instead for a pint of Cracker Ale. Also on the blackboard was an advertised drink - a 'Car Bomb' - a joke in rather a poor taste on a St Patrick's day advert. If they only knew the carnage caused by car bombs in Ireland and the UK during the 'troubles'....

The service was terrible. The one guy behind the bar was also taking food orders - but he wasn't easy to attract the attention of! People he knew were in the bar and commanded his attention.
We ordered a pizza, but were disappointed when the other member of staff, a young lady who had obviously been distracted during the cooking, brought it to our table. The edges were burned and it was overcooked.. but it didn't taste too bad.
I had two beers and my wife had two Jamieson's - but when the bill arrived we were charged for 3 pints of Stella at $6 each as well as the two whiskies. When I pointed this out there was no apology - just a grudging admission of fault.
Needless to say - we won't be back.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank thompa124
Sarasota, Florida
“Do Not Let The Outside Fool You....Disappointing!”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have been a strong supporter of Il Panificio for many years and were delighted when they opened a new extension closer to where we live and have been there many times since they opened and as before never been disappointed but not this time. From the outside signage and the outside it appears to be what should be a nice neighborhood dinner restaurant. We entered and were shocked to see an upscale luncheonette not a dinner restaurant and they only serve dinner. The seats are aluminum and uncomfortable and only one section of cushioning and it is right near the kitchen entrance so if you are sitting on the end seat the servers are walking right by you and you have a tendency to bend away. The menu you would think would be somewhat Italian entrees but the only thing Italian are the pizza's. There are 3 chicken choices, chicken picatta, chicken marsalla and I do not recall the third, all at $16. I am not a food connoisseur, I just like eating out every once in a while but I like what I eat to be good and worth what I am paying for and the choice of vegetable, garlic mashed potatoes and broccolini but they were nice enough to give me just pasta and that was a meager portion as it was supposed to be a double since I did not take the two offered. The soups and salad were ala carte. My wife had a pasta dish with vodka sauce which she said was delicious and she could not finish it all. (I do not consider the small variety of pasta dishes as Italian dishes). One of our guests had the chicken picatta and he said it was OK. My chicken marsala's taste was delicious but the quality of the chicken was not very good as it did not cut very well and it was a little on the dry side. Another guest had a NY strip @ $26. with the same 2 vegetables and she also said it was OK. but there was only again a choice of 3 type of steak. Another guest had liguini and clams @ $16 and he said that it was good. Another guest had trout for a fish choice of which there was also 3 choices and the other 2 she said did not sound appetizing. The server was very nice and very helpful and attentive but there was only 2 other couples in the restaurant and the bar which is the center piece of this restaurant also had 4 patrons, 2 young women (mid 20's) and 2 other women, probably late 30's or early 40's. I do not say that to suggest that there was anything wrong it was just the way it was. As I said the server was very nice and he was especially proud of their wine list and his knowledge of the wines. It seemed to me that the wine list was more important than the menu and the food. All in all it is not what I expected from Il Panificio which offers great Italian food and a variety that I just expected would be made with more flourish and available in their sister restaurant which utilizes the same kitchen. A complete disappointment and if their management reads this I would suggest they incorporate some of their signature Italian dishes to their dinner restaurant menu otherwise we will just have to frequent their self service area when we have the urge for good pizza or spaghetti etc.

• Visited July 2012
Canada
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

A friend recommended this place after they had pizza at their neighbouring establishment called Panificio (same owners). Piatti is more upscale and serves lunch and dinner. It is a bistro like atmosphere that is very eclectic yet comfortable. They have a great wine selection and their menu is quite varied. We had calamari for an appetizer and pizza as a main. Both were excellent. The service was very good and the owner came around to mingle with the customers and check that everything was to their satisfaction. This is a great place whether you are out with friends, going for a romantic dinner or just for a drink after work. I will definitely go back.

• Visited February 2012