“Eat here!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Links Ave
Description: Eat Here offers chef-driven, American artisan cookery. An emphasis on local product and fresh Gulf seafood served in presentations suitable for sharing and tasting. A casual neighborhood place, with a community table, featuring craft beers and wines. The rooftop bar, overlooking the fountain courtyard and the city of Sarasota, features specialty cocktails, classic martinis, charcuterie, and live music.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I really have to branch out sometime from the veal meatloaf, but it's so good I can't bring myself to. Anyone I've been here with has liked what they've ordered. Warning: food is served as it is ready, so in a large group there can be some dislocation, but on the other hand, everything's hot.

There are newer reviews for Eat Here

Reviewed June 19, 2014

From 'heart attack hot dog' to quinoa and 'no Asian seafood', this restaurant aims to please! :-) We started with garlic potato chips which weren't garlicly at all - and that was a good thing for me - the dip was blue cheese and I'm not a fan, so our waiter offered their salad dressing instead and it worked for me. I dropped a chip or two on the floor (they stayed so hot!) and each was quickly snatched up by staff. Salt 'shakers' are actually small bottles with spoons...I found that fairly difficult to control... Had a nice $ 6 glass of Italian pinot grigio and the shrimp/lobster tacos - didn't particularly like the shells - pasty white and barely warm. The waiter clarified that no side(s) was/were included with the tacos but they were plenty for a meal - many, many shrimp...was there lobster? Unsure. My friend had the large portion of salmon and offered a taste of the sauce - which was called horseradish cream...and I'd asked if the horseradish was too strong - I didn't taste any! We had the key lime cheesecake for dessert but again, where was the lime? Menu descriptions with lovely flavors...but they don't seem to come through on the plate. Service was excellent...water didn't need refilled as they left a (clear) wine bottle of it on the table... We enjoyed strolling upstairs to check-out the outdoor seating - which we'd heard was quite popular during 'happy hour-and-a-half'. I'm sorry I couldn't give them more than 3 stars...I don't feel they've 'hit their stride' but I hope they'll make it... The effort seems to be there - now the product has to match.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I had a chance to visit during the Saviour Sarasota special week. The 3 course $29.00 special was a very good enticement. It was a first visit for the three of us.

I started with the house made smoked fish spread. It was very good with a light smoke and fresh tasting. It came with toast. One of my guests started with the Kale Caesar Salad that included romaine lettuce. He said it was good but too lightly dressed for him. The server, Chris, brought more dressing upon request.

I chose the Seafood Stew as my main. It was advertised in a light broth but came with more like a tomato sauce. It included clams, mussels, shrimp and a light tasting fish. Overall it was very good but a little heavier than I expected. One of my guests chose the Baked Salmon. He exclaimed that it to was very good. It looked overcooked but it was not, just the spices on top.My third guest did not go with the special but ordered the Shrimp and Lobster tacos. You get two but, they were filled with lightly fried seafood.

I chose to give my dessert to my thirded guest who said the Key Lime Cheesecake was good. The hit of the evening was the Pineapple cake chosen by my other guest. He said it was great and was an excellent dessert choice. As part of the special, we each had one glass of wine.

Chris is a very good server and really aims to please. Over all, Eat Here Sarasota is a very good choice for innovative comfort food.

1  Thank RandR1948
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I ordered a white wine blend @ $10 and my husband ordered the house Merlot as a free glass of wine with a coupon. Both wines came in the same size glass! No white wine glass for me, and no red wine glass for my husband. Furthermore, red wine at a nearby table was served in a larger Walmart style glass than my husband's complimentary house wine. Silverware provided for both of our meals was poor quality stamped dime store junk. Food was ok, nothing great. I ordered mussels with frites. More than a dozen of the mussels did not open but I was able to pry them open with a knife. I mentioned this to the hostess who stopped by to see how we were doing and her response was that with mussels you have to expect two or three out of a batch won't open. In my case it was considerably more than two or three. The frites were cold, undercooked and soggy. The waiter said they soaked them in the juice. They did replace them with freshly cooked hot ones which were better. Our server was attentive, it may have been an off night and there were not many patrons, so it was quiet. We had a $30 coupon for which we had paid $15 so our bill was very reasonable. Without the coupon, the meal would have been overpriced for what we had and underwhelming.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We were happy to return to Eat Here after a pleasant experience the first go round in 2013. We arrived at 9 PM for a late dinner. First off, no one greeted us at the door. We uncomfortably scanned the room for a server. Someone from the kitchen loudly shouted, "Door!" and a server finally appeared to seat us.

Our server, while perfectly average, did not deliver the enthusiasm and excitability for the menu we had been witness to on our last visit. he seemed, well, bored. Like he was ready to be outta there. No recommendations or suggestions were made, which is customary in a tapas restaurant.

The tempura beets were fine, but this time, no golden beets were included. They screamed for salt. The tomato soup was the highlight. Creamy and warming. We shared the fish (seafood?) tacos. Yummy but nothing I couldn't make at home.

Carl's specialty iced tea never arrived, so we asked another waiter for it. It was served after the appetizer and almost immediately before the meal arrived.

I think my takeaway is this: for the price, it was a shame the energy around the menu and quality seems to have disappeared. We MAY try Eat Here one more time, but another mediocre run will be the nail in their coffin. Oh, and this is a perfect example of my theory: I'll return to a restaurant with mediocre food over and over again if the servers make me feel extraordinary about the experience. However, superior food never trumps crappy service.