“One of Sarasota's best!”
Review of Indigenous

Indigenous
Ranked #48 of 1,114 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Focusing on sustainable seafood and local farms in a beautiful remodeled old Florida cracker cottage, with an amazing outdoor seating area. James Beard Best Chef South Semi Finalist Steve Phelps and his team are focused on creating a better food system.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This place has been open about a year now and we have been putting of visiting until recently. It is next door to Lavanda, which I think is probably Sarasota's best restaurant right now, and every time we drive by the place we have noted that it is crowded and we have heard good things about it from friends. It is in a funky neighborhood of older bungalows and shops. The restaurant was a bungalow at one time. Parking can be a problem but we used the bank lot across the street. The decorating is modern but not stark. Very well done. Customers were dressed from t-shirts and shorts to dressy, mostly smart casual Three small dining rooms accommodating about four tables each and a big porch which would be nice on a warm night. We drew a small table near the kitchen (tiny and the small rooms can be smokey depending on what is on the grill). Adam, from MA. as we are, was our waiter and did a great job. Attentive but not intrusive. Our reserved table (reservations are a must) was ready when we arrived on time. The wine list is good but not great. We had the pinot noir and the pinot grigio. We noticed that another table brought their own wines ($15 corkage fee). I had the wild mushroom bisque with truffle oil appetizer which was to die for. Angela had the shredded Brussels sprouts which she raved about. I had the Icelandic char and Angela the swordfish. Both excellent......For desert we shared the honey beignet with ice cream. The beignet is really an appetizer but Adam suggested having it as a desert with ice cream and he was "right on". Hard to find much fault with this place except the smoke and the wine list. Neither was a big problem. Somehow this place has gotten a reputation as a seafood restaurant but it is more that that. I would call it "continental" Three Gardner stars!

2  Thank gardner34285

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I tried Indigenous last summer and really enjoyed it. Last week we had a meal here with 6 closed friends. I am hesitant to take larger parties to higher end restaurants because they too often don't live up to my expectations. Not the case here. The evening was perfect. We were seated where we had requested. Great and thoughtful variety of menu items. Our server did a great job describing the everything on the menu. Every meal from appetizers,entrees, and deserts was perfect. I look forward to many more enjoyable evenings at Indigenous.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Took my mother to Indigenous for a nice meal to thank her for coming down to help out with our move. Had never been to Indigenous, but the reviews made me hopeful it would be pleasant. It exceeded our expectations. The food was exquisitely prepared. The service was attentive but not stuffy or ostentatious. The mood was pleasant and warm. The prices were high, but the meal was worth it! My mother declared, "Best shrimp I've ever eaten." My char was perfectly cooked. Hard to beat this restaurant!

1  Thank progonoskis
Reviewed December 11, 2012

What a special treat. Unusual menu items that change daily and everything is a good choice. Plus wonderful soups and must-have deserts that also are creative and unique. A great place to go for a special dinner. Dining outside is a must weather permitting.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

What are you doing reading this review? You should be eating at Indigenous right now! We've been fans of Steve Phelps for years and his passion sings out in each bite of his inventive cuisine. This old Florida "cracker" house is set beneath a canopy of banyan trees emitting a Bohemian vibe - authentic, not contrived. Settle into one of the tables on the porch for a langorous meal and order anything on the menu - it's all THAT good. My wife and I enjoyed many of hte new menu items that, truly, elicited a few "god damns" when we tasted the short ribs, lamb, beignets and the brioche dessert. The wine list is a perfectly edited offering matched to the tone of the menu. The service is knowledgeable, attentive and hip. Don't leave Sarasota without eating here.

1  Thank B G