“Some of the best sandwiches in all of Sarasota” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Sarasota, Florida
“Some of the best sandwiches in all of Sarasota”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

When it comes to the best sandwich in town, I'd have to say that it's a toss up between the Hukilau Hut and Mozzarella fella. Hukilau Hut has the best bread hands down though, IMO. It's by far the best bread I've ever tasted in my life. Try any sandwich on that bread and you will be blown away. I even get loaves of it to take home, it's that good. They also roast their own coffee in house, the espresso is to die for. Also not to be missed are the many exotic flavors of fluffy shaved ice (made with a traditional Hawaiian ice shaver that runs a blade around a solid disk of ice).

• Visited April 2014

Sarasota, Florida, United States
“The old ice shaving machine and amazing bread make this place a keeper!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I drive by the truck out front of this shop every day after work, but until today I had never ventured inside. The inside is just as elaborately decorated as the very recognizable truck that parks out front. We came strictly for the shaved ice, as we had just finished playing a round of disc golf, and it was about 95 degrees outside. The old ice shaving machine rotating a large block of ice gave the whole act a much more genuine feel. There were many flavors to choose from. The lychee flavor was spot on. My companions also tried watermelon, blue hawaii and kiwi. The watermelon was more of a realistic watermelon, and not the candy version you usually get from a flavoring, it was a welcome surprise.

After cooling down the owner offered to let us try his homemade hawaiian bread that is used for the sandwiches. The bread was so phenomenal we just had to stay for lunch. I shared a shortboard (the smaller size) Islander (roast pork, salami and swiss) and a shortboard 4-cheese while we also got an order of pizza bread and lava. The whole meal was very filling as the bread was quite dense. Overall I'd say the only thing I regretted about our decision to eat here was that we hadn't done so sooner.

We will definitely have to go back and try out more flavors of shaved ice. :)

• Visited June 2013
Siesta Key, Florida, United States
“Best shaved ice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This is true shaved ice - finer shave than what you normally get (more like chipped). Lots of wonderful flavors.

The sandwiches on fresh baked hawaiian bread are great - also roasts his own coffee.

This place is a treasure.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We drive 40 miles 1 way for the shaved ice, fresh syrups & bread”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

5 stars for the soft fluffy shaved ice and syrups. 5 stars for the always friendly customer service. 4 stars for the mellow Hawaiian vibe. 2 stars for the decor. Maybe just clear out all of the kitschy clutter, lower the counter for customers, just leave a high counter to operate the ice machine, paint 1 or 2 bright colors with white and have a few simple Ikea modern small tables & chairs. Should look like a freshly painted lab cute and clean and sunny. We love their shaved ice & syrups!!!! And that should be the bright focus of the cafe. White & clean & fresh as their wonderful shaved ice. We love Hawaii but a simpler version would be more attractive for Sarasota. We'll be back for sure!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JackMontana
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Great little spot in SRQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I would say I became a regular at this place pretty fast. The Hawaiian bread is awesome, to say the least. Definitely go for the shaved ice and ask for the real fruit syrup - those are usually the really exotic tropical flavors that he does using syrup made from the actual fruit. The sandwiches are awesome, but I recently went vegetarian, so now I'm out of luck - no vegetarian options that I know of. Next time I'm in, I'll ask if he can work something out. Other than that, everyone should love this place - it rocks.

• Visited August 2012