“Doesn't Get Any Better”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 21, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at this superb hotel during a business trip. All around, the staff was over the top service oriented and accommodating! The views from our end unit were fabulous of a small marina and bay. The new duvet-style bed linens were a nice luxury touch and housekeeping comes around late afternoon to refresh your towels. The elevator was fast and access to the pool is super easy via a nice game room for kids. An hourly shuttle takes you to nearby upscale St. Armand's circle for shopping or to a sister property if you prefer to be on the beach. The hospitality room on the 8th floor concierge level (with veranda seating!) is graciously stocked with everything you could want for a light breakfast, lunch,snack with a glass of wine or a sampling of gourmet desserts. There were many items that would appeal to Europeans as well. I had a fabulous facial and a nice massage in the opulent spa area. The gift shop was as expected overly pricey and not so exciting. They do serve afternoon tea. Another small thing...buying bottled water daily can get to be very pricey but here it was complimentary. Can't wait to go back to this pampering hotel!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank RABott
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota

Reviewed April 10, 2007

We just returned from a 9 day stay at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota. We were on the 7th floor in a club level suite. Let me just say if you are traveling with kids the club level was worth every penny! My three girls ate there for all three meals every day, the best part was the chocolate presentation from 9-10pm. Our room was really large and well furnished, with 1 full and one half bath. Housekeeping was amazing, they kept our room spotless and left the kids squirty tub turtles everyday. The service at the pool was always quick, as was room service. We used North River Nannies for sitters while we were there and they were absolutely great, thank you Jennifer! Victoria, Mac, and Cindey in the club lounge were so helpful, they took care of every request we had from chocolate milk to packing a lunch for our girls for the plane ride home. Dino the doorman always gave us great directions and places to see. The beach club is about 10 minutes away and is very nice. I loved the baby pool, it had gates so you don't have to keep chasing your little ones away from the big pool. The changing rooms are perfect with every amenity you could need. My girls took a pastry class with the head pastry chef, who has been on a food network challenge, they loved decorating cookies and dipping fruit in the chocolate fountian. I think the Ritz Carlton is heads and sholders above any other resort I've stayed in. To the people who have issues with the service there, it pays to be kind and friendly to the staff, don't talk down to them, I think it will get you much better service. Who wants to go out of their way for someone who is rude? I'll be back to the Sarasota Ritz very soon!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Colleenfern
Reviewed April 6, 2007

Our spring break trip to the Sarasota Ritz Carlton was a personal disappointment. We have come to expect a level of service from Ritz hotels and the hotel experience is something we look for in each vacation.
We had bathroom drain problems which led us to wade in ankle-deep bathwater after just a few minutes of running the shower. Problems like these if dealt with promptly would normally be forgiven and forgotten. Unfortunately, 2 separate morning reports of the problem (one to front desk) did not result in a resolution until we placed an irate call to the manager. The manager Guillermo was courteous and speedy in his remediation. After engineering was sent in to take care of drain issues though, the same problem came up later on in our stay. Beware of this room on the 9th floor overlooking the swimming pool.
My husband requested club concierge to make golf reservations in the Ritz golf course but ended up having to book it himself as the male concierge apparently did not follow-up on it. He apologized later and said he had "left a message" for the golf course to call us. One would expect the least the concierge could do would be to confirm a reservation given the cost of playing time.
The business center charges for computer use to check email, and for faxing a one page sheet. At the cost of well over $600/room, some things ought to be complimentary.
Having said this, there are a number of good things to be said. The club lounge is well worth the extra expense. The 5 different food presentations were satisfying and creative and the concierge did their best to make our young kids comfortable. One South American bellman juggled my son's soccer ball and thoroughly entertained my 8 year old, not to mention his 40+ year old mom. Most of the staff were eager to please and genuinely friendly. This is the redeeming factor. Will we stay again at a Ritz hotel? Probably, but not at Sarasota.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank chicagoanlovestravel
Reviewed March 26, 2007

I just got home from a long weekend, the weather was fantastic but the service at this hotel compared to other ritz carltons I have stayed at was lacking. Called for directions when arriving in Sarasota and was given very poor ones, got to the hotel checked in and went to the pool two people working the pool were totally confused, they could not get any ones order and just kept apologizing while running around confused, I finally got my own drinks after about 30 minutes of waiting for them, finally ordered food and they brought it but no silverware said they would be right back with it but it never came, we finally just ate with our fingers and wiped up with pool towels. The next day we had arranged with the concierge to pick up my husband for golf in a town car with return times also, he never got picked for the ride back both days. I took the shuttle the first day to the beach club when the shuttle arrived all the guests at the hotel got in the van and there was no driver for along time, we all sat there in the van cause if you didn't you might not get a ride because it was busy and first come first serve, finally the driver came and never said sorry folks or anything and acted like a van full of guests were wrong in expecting to leave within a few minutes. It seems to me if the van can be full of guests and be waiting why can't the driver be ready?? The concierge was also busy juggling multiple people and the phone all the time, she rushed us and everyone, everytime we went to try and arrange something. I feel for the price 809.00 a nite we should have had better service. I also tried to make reservations with the concierge for a restaurant the one nite they said they were all booked until late that evening. We took a chance and walked into the one we wanted to eat at, they told us it would be about 15 - 20 minutes and we would have a table, makes you wonder what is up??

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sammysWisconsin
Reviewed March 26, 2007

We don't normally stay at places like the Ritz, but it was a gift. There is a certain expectation when you say The Ritz and the property certainly was beautiful. The service, however, left something to be desired. Breakfast was the worse, Essentially, there was no service. We ate there four mornings (it was part of the package). There was never any utensils on the table and it took ten minutes to find someone to ask for them and that was only the beginning. One morning my husband had received and already eaten his breakfast before mine was even brought to the table.

A week before we were to arrive, i called the concierge and asked that they make dinner reservations for us in two places i was sure I wanted to partronize. They made the reservations but for the wrong nights and even though I called again to confirm everything with them, they got it wrong and when we went to the first place on the night they said they had made the reservation for, we were turned away because they had not in fact made the reservation. When I spoke to the concierge about it, she apologized and said she would send strawberries and champaign to our room to make up for it. They never arrived.

Our standard room goes for $480 a night. At those prices, you should expect the best servce.

Reviewed March 23, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend getaway and we thoroughly enjoyed the Ritz-Carlton Sarasota. The hotel is beautiful and spotless. The bed super comfortable and cozy. Black and white marble bathrooms. Tastefully decorated. A gorgeous view over the harbor and bay from our walk-out balcony with two chairs and a small table on the 6th floor. Quiet pool, plenty of relaxing areas to rest and a pretty garden. Also adirondack chairs overlook the harbor. We were presented at check-in with a map and list of events at the hotel (sushi in the evening, afternoon tea, etc.). The "Ritz Kids" is a program for children 5 and up. $45 for 3 hours or $60 from 9am to 4pm. My children would have had a blast. Looks like a lot of fun. The concierge was very helpful and courteous, as was every single member of the staff. The ballrooms and meeting areas were gorgeous and top-notch. We did not dine at the Ritz-Carlton, but instead concierge referred us to the downtown area to a restaurant called Mattison's. I recommend the bruscetta appetizer (the best I've ever had) and the roast duck if you go --- mmmmm! Delicious! I wish we could have stayed longer!!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jjeffcott
Reviewed March 7, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at the Ritz Sarasota many times. The first was on our honeymoon, then anniversaries, and just to get away. It is our favorite hotel by far. Everything is 5 star, it just doesn't get better. The rooms are beautiful, the beds are heavenly with crisp white linens and the best goose down. The restaurants are excellent and the service is impeccable. We just love this place, and will return again and again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelallover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 50 in Sarasota
Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!