“A Major Disappointment”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“A Major Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2006

Second trip was as disappointing as the first. We found housekeeping sloppy, not replacing empty tissue box, throwing out personal items and slow to respond to requests. Dining room was clueless! Waiter fills tea cup with coffee; brings the wrong toast; takes 20 minutes to deliver simple breakfast order on non crowded time. Everyone apologizes all the time (because they don't get it right the first time).

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank NY Tripster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Rumford, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2006

I’ve seen comments here that suggest the Sarasota RC isn’t up to the standards of other RC’s. Well, maybe it’s not exactly the splashy, grand metropolitan image of a many RC locations but it’s plenty good enough.

The Beach Club portion is beautiful and the primary pool and hotel is first rate too. Food, service and amenities are very good. You’re treated like someone who’s decided to spend $575 a night to stay there and that’s half the battle.

Interesting story of how this place may disappoint some and, yet, managed to impress me: I had a ¼ bottle of Barolo remaining at dinner and had it sent to my room whereupon it was taken by housekeeping. I wasn’t happy about this and reported it to management. Within an hour, I had a full, new bottle of a better Barolo delivered to my room.

Not a great many high-end choices in the Sarasota area but I’d stay at the RC again. No doubt.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank DeansDesk
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

I like this place. Yes, the furnishings may look dated but the room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The service was exceptional.

The hotel was full during our stay, but you would never know it. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and we loved the small touches like free muffins and water for your trip at the valet on the morning we left.

The hotel restaurant was a pleasant surprise. Wonderful reasonable breakfast buffet and elegant, delicious dinner.

But the beach club was the real prize. Located at the prime spot on Lido Key, it is beautiful and luxurious. Great food delivered on the beach, staff offering you towels and water, top notch locker room ,long lush beach. The shallow pool is pretty but not functional.

I understand from my colleague that the golf club is not quite ready, though open, and is 16 miles away.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and I'd go back.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Stunifoo
woodbridge, ct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2006

I have to agree with many of the prior reviews in that this Ritz is not up to the Ritz Carlton brand standard. While we had an enjoyable stay, I don't think the condition of the rooms, some of the service and the Hotel amenities were up to par. I found our room as others have reported with dingy, stained carpeting, older furniture and an unclean bathroom. There was leftover hair around the sink and shower and the towels and bath robes were thin from apparent over use. The breakfast service in the main restaurant was in one word: terrible. We observed furious other guests waiting too long for their orders to be brought. We voiced our concerns to Management and they did take our concerns seriously. They offered us a subsequent complimentary breakfast, a nice response. The Beach Club is great. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and the pool and changing areas are lovely. I was a little annoyed by having to constantly pay for the use of Hotel amenities such as the "nicer" gym, the tennis courts (which essentially are situated in the Hotel parking lot) and the valet. We felt like real jerks also if we did not tip the valet each and every time we came and went from the Hotel as well as the Beach Club. Not being able to self park is very annoying. Unlike the Four Seasons, we felt nickeled and dimed at every turn. While we did not have a bad overall experience, we would be reluctant to stay here again unless we were using reward points or were offered a substantial discount on the room.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank Ruby71
County Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2006

Staff prompt and courteous. Many staff members made the effort to know our name. All facilities very clean.
Beach club inconvenient 3 miles away from hotel but worth the trip. Staff at beach excellent and friendly. Hotel does offer shuttle free of charge to beach club and shopping. Hotel rather small nothing special for the 500.00 per night charge on the club level. Presentation {5 small meals} very nice-especially breakfast and lunch they modulated the room cost significantly. The convience of frequent meals was significant and food offered was high qualility and fun. We loved the last presentation of choc-never change that. I did get sick of valet parking and wish the Ritz would offer accessible non-vallet parking like other high priced hotels. Not everyone likes all that service.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank judy p
St. John
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz Sarasota over Thanksgiving and the hotel needs a lot work to bring it up to other Ritz standards.
Check in We had booked a deluxe water view room Reconnect package but was told that we booked a standard room and told they do not have deluxe rooms. I told them on their web site they call them deluxe rooms but they said that deluxe and standard were the same room. The water view was about 20 feet between 2 buildings. It was late at night when we checked in and were too tired to argue so we went to the room that the desk clerk verbally told us was ours. This is where a big problem started, the room she verbally told us and the room number she wrote down on the little booklet they give you with the keys were different. We went to the room she verbally told us and it was someone else's room, the key she gave us worked. We quickly left the room and stood in the hallway, I looked at the number on the booklet and it was 3 rooms down. We went to that room and the same key opened that door too. That is a major security issue, if someone had walked into my room I would have freaked out. I called the desk, explained the problem and security came up and changed our key. Still its very unsettling that this is even happening.

The rooms are in need of dire updating, our carpets were soiled as were our duvet cover and upholstered chairs, we were exhausted so we settled in but I wore flip flops or socks whenever I walked in the room, I also had sheets put on the club chairs to cover the soil. The towels were of different quality, one bath was slightly yellow and thin, the other was white, new and fluffy. Our towels at the pool were of poor condition and unraveling. Now I wouldn't care if I was staying at a Sheraton or Holiday Inn, but at $500 a night this is an issue IMHO.

Breakfast in their dining room service was spotty, one day fabulous and delicious the next day we waited 45 minutes for breakfast and when finally served was cold and of poor quality. We could not wait for a new breakfast. They offered to take the breakfast off our bill but that didn't matter we had it included in our package. Never offered any other compensation for it.

The Ca d'Zan bar service and food was excellent. Maitre de was excellent too

The pool service was good, those girls work hard to please. Food quality was average.

Beach service attendants excellent, good drinks. Beautiful and clean dressing room facilities.

Spa excellent had a wonderful facial and massage.

We have to travel to Sarasota twice a year for golf tournaments and the Ritz is the nicest hotel in the area but it is far from being up to Ritz standards. Having stayed in 13 other
Ritz Carlton's this is the worst that I have stayed in.

• Stayed November 2005
15 Thank sebasco
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2006

Our family (2-9 year old) stayed for five days in December. We found the accomodation and service above average. We roomed on the "Club Level" -worth the extra. From the check-in to the departure this hotel is 4 star all the way. Other than the poor food selection in the restaurants, room service menu and club lounge (lunch snacks were not provided on weekdays????), thus the "4 STAR" rating. I am very suprised about the latest reviews. The Beach Club (a quick shuttle away) is exclusive and a great place to relax and have fun. The Staff are pleasant and accomodating and even new us by name. The spa and gym are first class and stayed open later for us one evenng (no questions asked)-true Ritz Carlton "5 STAR" service! The rooms and bedding are typical for a Ritz or higher end hotel's. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends with no hesitation. Like any hotel (not just 5 STARS) if you enter a room that is not to your standards-just ask for another or move on (simple). One point with regards to the Valet parking and price. I have stayed all over the world and usually valet my car. The older long term Valet's at this hotel are on the top of my list of Valet's. They were excellent ambassadors, from opening and closing the front hotel doors to remembering your name...well worth the $16.00.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank CANADIAN2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,303 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!