“Anniversary Weekend”

Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
“Anniversary Weekend”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Really nice hotel, people were a little rude towards us, I'm guessing because we are much younger than the normal guests.

Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Colorado
Reviewed October 5, 2009

At the Ritz - you get what you pay for. The service was excellence, food fantastic and atmosphere is wonderful. It is worth every penny.

I suggest sticking to the regular rooms instead of the suits, it's a cheaper price and you don't get much more for the cost of a suite. In fact, you'll get a bigger bathroom in the regular room.

I cannot say enough about the service - it is worth it. If you are going to spend the money (we had a regular room at $230/night) it is worth it! The only thing, I wish it was on the beach, but it's a 10 min drive to Siesta Key.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dania Beach
Reviewed September 8, 2009

The only problem I had with staff was in making the reservation on the phone. Their accent was so heavy and they spoke so fast, I had to ask for someone who could actually speak English. Beyond that, the staff was perfection in action. I needed an extra small refrigerator and I got it in two seconds flat. I asked for my food to be sent up in with many special requests. I knew it would not arrive the way I requested and what do you know, it arrived exactly how I requested. For the last night, the main restaurant's food was pricey and just okay. I'm glad we had all of our dinner meals out because there were so many extraordinary places with heavenly food and extremely reasonable prices nearby. I had a few spa treatments and they were flawless. We had lunch on a poolside terrace a few times with the lunch food and service being superb. I had a suite that faced the bay. From my rooms terrace I could see a lot of water but mostly nearby buildings. The rooms were large with marble floors in the bath, The bed was a large firm king and I slept like a lamb. I have to have a firm bed with no sagging or I won't sleep. Everything up to date and modern. I accessed the Internet from the TV and it was easy. I found the local travel channel very helpful. Everywhere was spotless.The entire experience hit the spot and I wish I could live there.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
florida
Reviewed August 24, 2009

While this isn't the most luxurious of all the Ritz Hotels (Naples gets that honor in my book) I must say the service was first rate. We felt very pampered and well attended to. From the champagne we received upon check-in (we were celebrating an anniversary), to the service at the spa, everyone--esp. the concierge and valets--went out of their way to make us feel special and well-cared for. I don't know if it's because it was off season, or because that's just how they do things, but they remembered our names, treated us warmly and helped to make our stay a memorable one. Just wish we had more time to experience downtown Sarasota, which seems like it has a vibrant and fun night life. Also, while the beach club is very nice and there's a free shuttle to take you back and forth, it's just not the same as actually being on the beach.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My wife and I (along with my in-laws) stayed at the Sarasota Ritz for almost a week in Mid-August. We all travel often, and have stayed in a number of Ritz Carltons before.

Beach & Shuttle:
First, you should know (and it is clear from their website) that this hotel is not at the beach. But (as stated) they do run a shuttle to/from the beach. The beach is fantastic (white sand, clear water); however, the shuttle service needs serious improvement. Once an hour is not good enough for Ritz quality. As the ride only takes 10 min., they should be able to handle more trips than once-an-hour. Because of this once-an-hour schedule, we often had the bus completely full and unable to take passengers (who had to wait a whole hour for the next bus), in my opinion this is unacceptable for a Ritz. Further, starting the shuttle at 9am is a bit late. We like to be at the beach early, and our only option for this would be to drive or take a taxi. Nonetheless, once you get there, the Beach Club is wonderful and the food there is pretty good.

Food:
As stated above, the Beach Club food is pretty good (but no breakfast). The Vernona at the main hotel is excellent. Their food is mostly organic, and while the selection is a bit small, the quality is very good. Their breakfast is a bit pricey, but we found the quality likewise very good.

Rooms:
The rooms a re bit dated for Ritz quality. The carpets were a bit old, and one of our chairs was well-worn. The rooms are still very good, but at Ritz prices they could use an update.

Spa:
Very good, but not "great" for typical Ritz quality. While the spa is very good and they do a nice job, we have been to a number of other Ritz's which had significantly better spas.

Staff:
Mostly good. We had some trouble with some simple requests (such as getting a champagne stand), but most staff were very helpful. Ask for Chris at the Concierge -- he is fantastic.

Overall, the hotel is very good, but it could use some improvement to meet the high expectations of "Ritz Quality"

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ww_kayaker
North England
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed here following a short stay at Longboat Key Club and Resort. It was like a breath of fresh air. The staff couldnt do enough to help.
Although the hotel is not situated on the beach the beach club is only a short shuttle bus ride away and is amazing. Fantastic pool and beach service and an amazing location.
The hotel is very convenient for wandering out at night to the local restaurants and marina.
We were very sad to leave and will certainly be returning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Kansas City
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We traveled with our 2 teenagers (13 and 15) and extended family and stayed Club Level. It was by far the best hotel experience we have ever had (and we travel quite a lot). The hotel is beautiful, the service is top notch and staying Club Level was absolutely heavenly. We were totally spoiled the whole week! Many of our future vacations will be planned around Ritz specials!

We got a great package price (peace of mind) which included 2 free nights stay, breakfast each day in the Vernona, valet parking and free kids club (did not use this).

Club Level: When we arrived they took us to the club level while they were finishing up our rooms (we arrived before standard check-in). We were wowed by the beautiful club room, incredible attention and service from the club level attendants, and the delicious food and drink offerings. Our kids loved the hot chocolate (part of an espresso machine available all day long). All of the food in the club level was awesome. Breakfast was my favorite. They had this oatmeal in a parfait that was so good. Also a delicious pecan sticky bun that was to die for! Coffee very good. Think Dean and Deluca type food. A little fancy but so good. They always had a really good soup at lunch, along with sandwiches, delicious salads, etc. In the evening they had small appetizers, cheese, etc. The food really was amazing. I absolutely loved it! My niece celebrated her birthday while we were there and they brought out a cake and flowers for her. They really made her birthday special and memorable. Wine and champagne offered all day. In the evenings, you can order mixed drinks and they were delicious! Sue, one of the attendants, even brought us games from her house that she thought our family would enjoy. Sue was awesome!!

Amenities: The two pools, one at the hotel and the other at the beach club were both very nice. The hot tubs were very hot, which I love! The hotel had a very nice game room for the kids where they could play ping pong, pool, air hockey, foos ball (all of these were free). They also had a few coin operated arcade games. Our kids loved this space. The beach club is stunning and very comfortable. We loved the nice shower facilities. Beach chairs are free but if you want an umbrella it is an extra $15. Well worth it, we thought. Beach service is nice - they bring you ice water. We never ordered food on the beach but others did.

The location: The beach is beautiful. Gorgeous sand, clean and very clear water. Definitely bring masks. There are not a ton of fish to see but there are some. You can also search for shells. The water is so clear, it is fun to see while you are swimming! The water temperature was perfect which was a big surprise for us. We were expecting it to be really hot but it was nice and refreshing.

Valet parking: Wow, the valet attendants were great. They were so fast, you never had to wait more than a couple minutes for your car. They were also so friendly and fun. Our kids loved the valet attendants! We got very used to having our doors opened and being helped out of the car!

Shuttle: The shuttle is good but I was glad to also have a car since the shuttle only came once an hour. We took the shuttle several times and once it filled up before we got on so they had to send another shuttle (waiting about 20 minutes or so). This wasn't a big deal as it was pretty entertaining to sit in front of the hotel and watch all the happenings of people coming and going. My son loved seeing the fancy cars (2 Rolls Royces!).

Rooms: Rooms were very pretty, comfortable, nice views and well equipped. Loved the bath products they offered! We spent very little time in our rooms, instead hanging out in the club level.

Vernona Restaurant: We had a free breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant. The price would have been about $54 for two, including tip. The food was good but the service was not good at all (and I don't expect much from a buffet server). We were fine with the lack of attention, since the breakfast was free, however had I been paying out of pocket for this, I would have been very unhappy. This is the one spot in the hotel that I think they need to work on. We enjoyed breakfast in the club level much more, even though they didn't offer as many options.

Room Service: My kids ordered room service a few times and they loved it! They would bring it on this big pretty silver tray, with flowers, and it was just pretty cool! Room service was fast, food was very good, and again, the service was exceptional. Do remember that they already add gratuity to the ticket when delivering.

Tipping: We did tip a lot but we were happy to do so as the service was so outstanding!

Nearby Shopping: The shops/restaurants at St. Armands Circle were unique and fun. I'm not a big shopper and I loved this area. It is not a bunch of big box chains (though there are a few).

In summary, this is a fantastic hotel! It is worth the extra money to splurge on a club level room. I think it was the club level experience that made this vacation so fabulous. The hotel is easily accessible from the Tampa airport (about an hour). We chose that airport due to flights being much cheaper than the Sarasota ones.

E-mail for specific questions, I'm happy to answer any!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank backtomaui
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!