“Good experience that could have been better” 4 of 5 stars

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Pascagoula, Mississippi
“Good experience that could have been better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I am a fan of Ritz-Carlton and have very high expectations when staying at their properties. This one is in the middle in relation to other locations. The view is not great and the rooms are a bit dated. My single biggest issue is that this property is noisy. I could hear everything going on: late night revelers returning, doors closing, kids running down the hall, etc. The room was comfortable but had limited TV choices and was missing some of the high-tech amenities that I have come to expect. The bed was wonderful. Housekeeping service was over the top both in terms of the way the room was kept, how pleasant the staff were and how hard they worked to get things done around your schedule without disturbing you. The water, towels and toiletries were kept well-stocked and the Asprey brand toiletry products were excellent.

Location-wise the property itself didn't afford any tremendous views (or at least none that I was privy to) but is very near the marina and downtown. A free shuttle is offered to their Beach Club which is a trip well worth the time. The club can get very crowded particularly on the weekends. Walkers and joggers will love the options of going downtown or across the bridge out to St. Armands and Longboat Keys.

Do not miss the downtown area. There are great, local shops and restaurants. I highly recommend El Greco, a mediterranean restaurant on Main St. Excellent food, great prices, be sure to get the flatbread appetizer. Also, be sure to spend some time in the St. Armands shopping quad area out toward the Beach Club. Again, great local shops and retaurants. In that area I highly recommend the Crab & Fin. In looking for dining options don't overlook Jack Dusty's in the hotel. We had great meals there that ran between $50 and $75 per person. Service was good when you got it but most servers were overwhelmed the 2 times we dined there.

Be aware self-parking is not available and daily valet is $24.

There were not a lot of other lodging options in the immediate area and certainly none as nice or centrally located. There are a lot of what I call "Old Florida" motels out on the keys if that's more your taste but none that would measure up to the service levels of the Ritz.

I was there for a meeting and their food and beverage options for that event were incredible. Everything was delicious, was kept well-stocked and they gladly and promptly accomodated some special requests. The meeting facilities worked very well for our group and it was a great venue for a business meeting.

All in all, a good stay with the exception of the noise. I would likely choose this property over others if I return to the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank FishinTime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Ritz's and was surprised by the inconsistent service between clientele & the two back to back weekends I stayed. Our first stay- in the hour and a half at the pool not once were we offered water, towels or a menu. I infancy had to go to the bar to get our drinks. The second time, we were told our dessert was going to be comped, I had to ask for it to be taken off upon reviewing the bill at check out the next day. Frustrating to say the least.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Darcey C,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconsistency in service you described. Should your schedule allow, I would be happy to discuss this with you further and can be reached at 941-309-2001.

Your business is very important to us as we strive to provide the fine service and facilities our loyal guests have come to know and expect.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel looks stately the moment you enter the lobby. I was greeted warmly by the receptionist and was offered a complementary glass of champange. Complementary bottled water and toiletries were replaced constantly during my 2-day stay. Bed was very comfortable and moderately firm that suits me well. The free shuttle that took me to the beach and retail stores just adds to the extra service the hotel provides. The beach was awesome. And this hotel is walking distance to downtown with a variety of restaurants to choose from. My stay would have been even better if the TV screen was clearer. The reception was not good. Also I was looking for the in room slippers. I could not find them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Ritz Sarasota provided the highest level of service I can ever recall - and I travel extensively. The service was great from the front desk to the parking valet to the beach club. Everyone went out of their way to be sure we had a good time and didn't lack for anything. One of the parking valets referred us to a fantastic seafood locally owned restaurant that was amazing. The beach club staff is amazing and the club is located on a great stretch of beach. If you want to stay close, the outdoor pool was very nice as well. The room was very good with everything expected in a higher end hotel. Fantastic. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank scouterinia
Osprey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

What a great place to hang by the pool overlooking the water. I know I live here, but I have to stop by to hang out with friends when they visit. They stay here at the Ritz and I see why. My friends room was a small suite, but larger than my former DC apartment. Very comfy and clean. We ventured into the little boutique and found lots of cute things, from clothes to beach hats. I'm definitely coming back here. I was there on a Sunday and we found out we couldn't partake in alcoholic beverages till noon. Somehow we found friends with bloody Mary's. The hotel staff was very nice and the wedding event went great. Hope more of my friends stay here. I need to go back.

Room Tip: The ritz is very close to St. Armins Circle where there are lots of restaurants and shops. And Lido...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Solihull
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels over the years but this time were staying outside Sarasota and invited some friends to dinner at the Hotel for a special occasion. I booked a table for four on the main outside patio a few days before with a request for a really good table as it was an anniversary.
We arrived an hour before our booked time notified the restaurant manager that we were going to have pre dinner drinks and spent nearly 300$ on champagne and other drinks.We expected someone to come and take us to our table but twenty minutes after our table booking nobody came to see us so we made our way to the dining area to be told we must wait in line until they were ready to give us a table.I really think they had completely forgotten our reservation but even so I do not expect to be told that hotel guests will be served first and on complaining we were finally directed to a miserable table furthest away from the main patio in a narrow side area.

Nothing better was offered us and apart from the standard perfunctory apologies which did nothing to placate us we left the Hotel and went to another lovely restaurant in downtown Sarasota where we had a most enjoyable meal.

We will never return to this hotel and reading other reports it seems the dining experience is often not what it ought to be . I would suggest anyone making a booking for the dining area check the table when entering and if it isn't what you expect do what we did and walk straight out and go to one of the many excellent restaurants in the area who appreciate how to look after their clientele.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Martin A
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Martin A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that your dining experience did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is a valuable tool so we can avoid any recurrence and to that end, if you can afford the time, please feel free to contact me directly at your convenience at 941-309-2001 as I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Overall, this hotel is a disappointment. We requested early check-in and was told we would have a room before our spa appt. We went out to the outside dining area to relax and get a drink. Twenty minutes later, still no waiter and no one seems to care. I went to the hostess and she found someone to wait on us who seemed to be put out and surly, not to mention delivering the WORST mojitos ever. Called the front desk about the room and still no room 1 1/2 hours later. Got the room at 4 pm after our $1,000 spa trip and there is black mold in the bathroom. Plus, the room is just average, at best. Wow. This is what $456+fees and tax get you a night? Won't be back.... EVER.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Rosina E
Dear Rosina E,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apology for the disappointments you described. A member of our team tried to contact you by email with the hope of resolving during your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at 941-309-2001 if you would like to discuss this further.