“Wonderful staff and excellent accomodations”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is the place to stay in Sarasota. The staff was simply fantastic, the grounds were beautiful and the restaurant was gourmet. Everyone was so willing to help provide insights on places to see and things to encounter. We will certainly stay with them again!

Room Tip: The weekend nights seemed to have guest who were rude coming down the halls in the middle of the nig...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Walter H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,251)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

For the most part, we enjoyed our recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton. The Beach Club is beautiful and the staff at the hotel and beach are great. My biggest issue was the noise. The hotel has very little sound proofing and you can hear everyone opening and closing their doors and talking in the halls. I woke up at least 4 times each night due to noise (people arriving back late at night and children waking up early). The beds were very uncomfortable and need to be replaced. Upon arrival at the hotel, we we received a glass of champagne (lovely touch); however, the used glass remained in our room for 3 days. I hope that the hotel can address the noise issues because it is a beautiful hotel in the perfect location.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank PBBJFamily
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear PamandBradFamily,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and our Beach Club and sorry to hear of the exceptions you described. We value your constructive feedback and are reviewing plans and taking action to improve the breakdowns you have mentioned. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further at 941-309-2001.

Best wishes,
Damien O’Riordan

Reviewed April 29, 2014

While the hotel was nice enough and the staff was friendly, the most important thing to me about a hotel is that i can actually SLEEP there! Unfortunately, you could hear so much noise in our room from the hall and neighboring rooms that we were woken up several times in the middle of the night and early morning. The phone ringing next door sounded like it was in our room, you could hear every noise from the other rooms' bathrooms, music playing, doors opening and closing, staff walkie-talkies. Even the couple having a normal conversation at 4am sounded like they were in our room - yes, you could hear every word they said, even though we were trying to block it out and go back to sleep.
So disappointing!!! We came back from our 10-year anniversary weekend wishing we had stayed somewhere else.

There was nothing wrong with the room otherwise, but we have traveled a lot and this hotel room was just fine. Nothing special or memorable. And I don't ever remember hearing so much noise from other rooms from normal activity.

Pros: Large bathroom with two sinks, access to Beach Club, location within walking distance of great a downtown, shuttle to St. Armands Circle hourly

Cons: Noisy guestrooms! Beach Club needs more servers on the beach - they tried hard but were spread way too thin to provide good service. And we weren't able to even get a seat at the beach club pool.

If you get lucky and have a room that is quiet, this hotel would be fine, but the location is the best part of it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank FLAmomof2
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear FLAmomof2,

Thank you for your recent review. While I was pleased you enjoyed our location and access to our beautiful Beach Club on the Gulf of Mexico, I was very sorry hear of the disappointments you experienced during your recent 10th anniversary stay. Your constructive feedback is appreciated and if you would like to discuss this further with me I can be reached at 941.309-2001.

Best wishes,
Damien O’Riordan

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay here. Very clean. Well staffed. Only a couple of issues...none of which will prevent me from staying there again.

Our rooms were very clean. One room had a toilet that wobbled... Another had a bathroom that appeared to broken into...I assume someone got locked in and needed help escaping...but the door and door frame were not repaired. Also, our TV worked.. But a big chunk of the plastic was broken off.
Now...again...no deal breakers here...but I would expect a brand like this to perfectly maintain its properties.

Onto the breakfast. Go elsewhere. Service was slow...the buffet was nice... But we had to wait and wait for more of this and that. Even though the food was good... The service made us eat elsewhere.

One highlight... The Beach Club! Wonderful... Wonderful.... And ...oh yeah...WONDERFUL!

See ya next year for sure!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank 842randys
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We had a very nice spring break trip and would definitely return to this hotel.
We love the Sarasota area and we did have our own car to take us to all of
our favorite spots. We did pay ALOT for parking ($24 per day) but it was worth it for us
to come and go. We did not use the hotel van.
Dean out front was attentive, polite and always had a wonderful recommendation.
It was crowded with many kids… that was great for our daughter who found friends
to play with everyday. Not so great when a family with 7 kids was in the room next
door. Service at the beach club was very good. They were busy so
there was a reasonable wait for food service. The service at the hotel pool was
polite but often slow. Service in the restaurant was sometimes slow as well but we were
on vacation and did not mind. Our room was very clean and had a lovely view of the marina.
We will stay again in August when it will be less crowded.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank SBK552001
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed at this property every year for six years. I have stayed alone, with my sister (and children) and my parents. Finally, next week, my husband is joining me for his 50th birthday present.
I am shocked to read the negative reviews. The hotel is beautiful and my rooms have been spotless and well appointed. From the doorman to the front desk to the concierge and spa staff, service is impeccable. The staff has clearly been trained to accommodate. The one glitch with a room service order was resolved so quickly with a replacement item, I tipped the server a second time.
The bus to the Beach Club is free (but tip your driver cause they are super nice and always have cold water). The Club itself is a large shallow pool, a smaller pool and a large jacuzzi. There is a fun and happening little tiki bar on the beach. They are open to the public, but the Sarasota beach people couldn't be nicer and they often have a band on the sand. Since the drive goes through St Armand's, you never really have to drive anywhere during your stay.
I went to the new bar last year and had a great time. The food (mozzarella salad and steamers ) was very good and the atmosphere lively.
Since I was there last July, I don't expect anything less, though after reading some reviews here, I am secretly keeping my fingers crossed we will have the experience I have had in the past.

Room Tip: If possible, upgrade to the club level and you will be super impressed. The spa has a Vichy Shower...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank WineGal2
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We recently stayed at The Ritz Carlton in Sarasota as a birthday present from my husband.
The overall property is lovely. Meticulous interior and exterior. Beautiful landscaping and flowers. Our room was very spacious and "uber- clean"! Little extras like bottled water and glasses ( not plastic) were appreciated. There is a little mini-bar/refrigerator in the room. The young man that brought up our luggage said that we could take out the supplied drinks in the frig and use the frig for what we needed to keep cold. Just put everything back in before we left so we wouldn't be charged. Nice coffee maker and coffee supply in the room ,also. The bathroom was beautiful marble and very large. Plenty of thick fluffy towels and shampoo and lotions. Bathroom was bright, clean, and spotless!
Our biggest complaint with the room was with the bed... The bed was hard, hard, hard, not comfortable at all, and creaky!!! Marriott beds and Westin beds are FAR superior!! Cmon' Ritz...get with the program! Time to update those beds!
Housekeeping was very good and was so nice to come back to the room at night and bed be turned down, robe folded on the bed, shades drawn, and chocolate on the pillows. In the morning however, there were loud voices in the hallway, or down at the end of the hallway. I am guessing it was housekeeping starting their day, but cant be sure. Woke me up every morning.
The walls in the bedroom were very, very thin. I don't know if it was because we had the adjoining door between us and the room next door. We could hear all the coughing, sneezing, and TV from next door. If you can, request a room without the door between the rooms.
The Ritz Beach Club on Lido Key was unbelievable. Beautiful club house and pool. Wonderful service poolside. The beach was easily accessible, with chaise lounge chairs on the beach, and umbrellas if you would like. The young guys working on the beach were always around when needed . Very friendly and helpful. You could order food and drinks on the beach also.
Our biggest gripe was the parking...guests CANNOT park their own cars- either at the hotel or the beach club. The lot was right down the driveway, so it was easy enough to walk to your own car. So each time the valet had to go get your car, and when you came back you drove up the entranceway and the valet would park it. Wasted time. We would have rather just walk to the parking lot ourselves. Besides that...there was a $24 per day parking charge!!!!!
We had dinner one night in Jack Duskys. Some of the best calamari we have ever had. Also best sunset!! Jillian was a wonderful server! And the sticky toffee pudding was to die for!!!
Overall, we loved the friendliness of all the staff at The Ritz. From the front desk, to the pool staff, to the valet, and luggage guys- everyone was respectful and friendly. The service was outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank susea39
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
The Westin Sarasota
The Westin Sarasota
#33 of 51 in Sarasota

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!