“Smart hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Smart hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights as part of road trip. The hotel is very grand...but very 'over the top', not for my tastes and as others say a little bit dated. The only modernised area is Dusty Joes restaurant and bar. We had requested 2 rooms interconnecting which we got but both were twins, not what I'd booked as we had asked for 1 twin, 1 double. The beach club on the other hand was fab, you can get the shuttle there on the hour and the facilities are wonderful. Felt a lovely place to spend the day, service excellent. Overall I would say front desk service very good, despite my frustration on the bill put under the door the night before we left. When we went to check I challenged the multiple Internet charges being made which they immediately removed (why add them to wind up a guest if you take them off as fast as they are queried - just check the bill first please?). It left me with a bad impression that was unnecessary.

1 Thank Martyjojo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here for the boat races last weekend in Sarasota. Negatives: Lots of kids running around the pool. The staff ranges from very professional to very unprofessional. For a newer Ritz the gym,pool eating areas were just OK. My room was nice expect for the water pipes running down my wall waking us up at 4am. Breakfast didn't start till I believe 7am and you have to pay for coffee! The overpriced food and drinks I almost understand but just give us our coffee Ritz!!

Pros: Location in downtown Sarasota is very good and they have a second location on Lido beach. The bar area at the downtown Ritz has a nice setup with a decent night time crowd. Thats about all the pros I have. Unfortunately downtown Sarasota does not have to many hotels so you might be forced to stay here.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jim L
Spring Hill, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We took our almost 3 year old and 5 year old for 2 nights before the 4th of July. We had a great time. The room seemed a little small. It was a standard size room with 2 double beds but the balcony was great, and the oversized bathroom made up for it. One thing to keep in mind before booking is that the "beach club" is not located on the main property. It is about a 10 minute drive (do not try to walk it especially with kids!!). The beach club is great because the pool and hot tub are nice, there is access to the beach with cabanas and beach chairs. Your poolside cabanas is stocked all day with complimentary bottled waters and there are toys provided by the hotel, so you don't have to drag your own beach toys. It would be far more convenient if you didn't have to drive (or take the hotel shuttle) to the beach club, but overall, we had a great day, enjoyed the hotel's fireworks, and are thinking about doing it again next 4th!

1 Thank Holly B
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed only one night as a quick getaway for our anniversary. At check-in, they offered a glass of champagne which was nice. The room was OK with a pretty view of the water but the furnishings seemed a little worn. It wasn't helped by the dirty laundry some other guest had left in one of the drawers. We arrived too late to go to the beach club which is about three miles from the main hotel. However, we did use the hotel pool. It's a great size but it had quite a bit of litter in it in the evening. Leaves I can understand but there were also straws and candy wrappers. It was cleaned up the next morning. However, in the morning we had a hard time finding towels. Eventually, we found the cubbyhole where the pool attendant was slicing fruit for drinks and he gave us some. We ate in the hotel restaurant both for dinner and breakfast. The best thing about dinner was the peel and eat shrimp. They were fresh with great texture. The rest of dinner wasn't bad but nothing to boast about. For breakfast, they didn't tell us about the buffet (somehow we missed it walking in). Had they done so, at $20 each it's a far better deal than ordering so-so food off the menu. Service was generally good. You can walk into town from the hotel which is nice. However, that would be true of the Hyatt nearby the hotel as well. Since it was our anniversary, I was hoping for a bit more upscale experience but Ritz Carlton, or at least this one, isn't the same as it used to be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dlf_fla
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have visited this hotel many times over the past 3 years. Our most recent visit was in April this year. As always the hotel was gorgeous but they had changed their restaurant since the last time we visited. The restaurant is stunning and the food delicious. The hotel is always beautiful and the beach club is such a gorgeous place to spend time. The shuttle between the hotel and beach club is very convenient and it also stops at St. Armand's Circle which is nice if you bring the family and everyone wants to do something different (like mine). Everyone who works at the hotel is so helpful and friendly, they all know your name from the second you arrive at the property, especially the valet attendants. Joe and Dean in valet have become like family to us and we look forward to seeing them every time we come back. Everyone who works there has been with the hotel for YEARS and they know how to treat their guests. I can't recommend this hotel enough! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the hotel, you can't go wrong with any of them!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Valdecap
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were on the concierge floor. The food was wonderful and wouldn't have needed to go out to eat. Great location and close to the airport. The staff are spectacular and helpful. Make sure to check out the mermaid sitting on the bar at night!!

Room Tip: Check on special deals on the concierge floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My mother-in-law has always wanted to see the Ringling Art and Circus Museum in Sarasota. So to accommodate her we thought a 4th of July celebration would be a great idea.

We made reservations at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota. This is a busy hotel in a great location. The hotel is conveniently located near downtown, the marina, the beach, and of course the Ringling museums.

We needed one pet friendly room and two other rooms. No problem. In fact our pet was greeted with a doggy bone in his room. When I booked the hotel and told them of my mother-in-laws wish of going to the museum, they sent her a welcome gift too. Her gift was appropriately, a delicious snack of peanuts, popcorn, and crackerjacks.

The most noteworthy part of the stay was being greeted by my personal haberdasher, Dean. It seemed every time I either picked up our car or dropped it off, Dean had a comment about my shirt. He loved the shirt I wore to dinner, did not care for the shirt I wore for dinner the second night, and approved the shirt I wore for dinner the third night. This was an ongoing conversation we had every time I either waited for my car or returned from dinner. Dean was a hit. Everyone in my party waited to hear what Dean would have to say. He was personable and funny.

I think the big difference between the staff here at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota and other hotels is the level of service. I mean the staff just doesn’t say hello, they engage in conversations. This was noticed by all and made the stay just that much more pleasant.

Room Tip: All higher rooms had great views of either the marina or the pool.
1 Thank Steven N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key
4.5 of 5 stars 2,021 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!