“Great hotel and first class service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Fab resort hotel with all the usual trappings you'd expect for the fees.
Only issue is the split resort concept - traveling twenty minutes or so to the beach was after a few days a bit of a bind.
Paying for wi-fi is a niggle!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank all_ar0und_the_world

Reviewed March 10, 2013

If this rating was solely based on the Beach Club and it's staff, I would have given it a 5. The pool and beach are gorgeous, staff beyond helpful and the food delicious. However, the hotel in my opinion deserves a 1. And that is being kind! This is our 2nd time to this property in 6 months and during both visits, we have been abruptly woken up multiple times during the night by a) the obnoxiously loud toilets b) the paper thin walls for which you can hear EVERYTHING - word for word - that your neighbor is saying or watching on TV c) the slamming of the doors that reverberate down the hall and literally sound like someone is walking in your own room. During our first visit, we informed the front desk that it appeared that our room had a problem, however, this stay we had an entirely different layout and floor and it was still an issue.

We love the pool/ beach and proximity to adorable St Armand's Circle but I doubt that we return because of the noise issue. So disappointed. Will try Naples Ritz Carlton next time.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with an adjoining door.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank FLGirl17
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

My room had a lovely view of a marina and the hotel pool. I thought the room was average. The bathroom though was very good & well stocke with travel tooth brush, nail file, razor etc.
I used the gym which was big. I gave service a 4 as the male attendant at the spa was really slow and unhelpful. Everyone else I encountered was amazing and without this small experience I'd have easily rated service a 5.
I had dinner at the bar in dustys. It's such a fabulous concept bar/restaurant very cool, relaxing, welcoming and just all in all tasteful. Loved the menu, could have tried one of everything! Had shrimp to start that you peel yourself - good size serving and very tasty. Lobster roll was too buttery for my liking. Bar drinks looked great and the atmosphere was lively and friendly. Wish all RCs had a dustys.
I really liked the nice touch of a welcome note in my room and a plate of delicious fruit that I had after my workout.
I'd go back for a work stay again in the area or for a holiday break. The hotel is walking distance to the center of Sarasota which looked nice. I went to the whole foods there - it was one of the best ones i was ever in.
I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank CtHelsBells
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a good quality hotel .....it does however have some serious issues with noise...and we had a club level room for 4 days.Firstly the toilet flush system is a nightmare and sounds horrendous ( I am not joking here this can be heard 3 rooms away & it is just unacceptable)! Secondly the room doors and locks slam shut and when the cleaner was attending to the next room we thought she was actually coming through the wall. Serious maintenance/ design issues here I am afraid that good service cannot correct!
On the upside - the club level staff were excellent, the club room food and drinks were very good, and the beach club was very nice(but 4 miles away). The golf course although 12 miles away is good but overpriced and set up for holiday golfers with rough so short and fairways wide that the challenge was simple. Dont expect a set up like PGA National, Doral,TPC Treviso or Twin Eagles but it is priced as if it were! Oh and no self parking at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank TShYorks
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A good location, very good service and spa experience did not make up for the overall experience at this hotel. I thought the staff and service was very worthy of a Ritz Carlton but the room did not meet my previous experiences with this brand. The walls were so thin I could hear the complete conversation of the room next door. I tried to stuff towels in the adjoining door but still could hear everything. The bathroom was very dated with a toilet that flushed like a cannon. The bathroom were amenities were equal to a Marriott. The hotel was fine for a "regular" Marriott but not up the Ritz Carlton standards. Just needs an updating and a makeover.

Room Tip: Just make sure there is no one on either side of you!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Seslrn
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I will start by saying that I was very nervous to stay here for such a long time based on what several reviewers had deemed a less than stellar experience. I can be a little (too) picky at hotels and prefer to stay at our own places for vacations. I had nothing to worry about. The hotel was wonderful and the staff was super.. out of this world. I will also say that there were quite a few very well known guests around who always seemed quite happy with the service and hotel.

A lovely driver picked me and the three kids up at the airport. He was friendly and efficient and answered all of my questions on the way to the hotel. Upon our arrival the bellmen grabbed several items we had sent ahead and brought them to the room with our bags without me having to ask him to do so.

I stayed on the club level in an executive bay view suite. I did have more of a partial view but this was still nice. The room was large and clean when we checked in. I did a rather thorough check of the floors in the bathrooms, closets and drawers and everything was nice and tidy.

The club lounge had a wonderful breakfast set up every morning: eggs, sausage, hard boiled eggs, fruit, coffee, tea, cereal. Items were refreshed quickly and even when it was busy we had no issues getting anything we needed.

The club concierge team was excellent. Justin arranged two amazing dinners for us (I highly recommend Euphemia Haye and Owen's Fish Camp). If they knew where we were going for the day directions were always waiting on our way out without us needing to ask.

One night before my husband arrived one of the kids developed a high fever. I called the front desk and within ten minutes Bruce, another lovely employee, had run to cvs to get child medication.

Another time I left my ipad in the car and asked the bellman if he could bring it to the room. 45 minutes later the director of guest relations arrived apologizing profusely (unnecessary as no one dies without an ipad and I was in no rush and had not indicated that I was) he offered to send up a bottle of wine or food which I declined but still. It was above and beyond. They did send a lovely plate of desserts the next day (perhaps because of the iPad?) I mean a Four Seasons once lost my car keys and I had to drive home in a rental and they were less apologetic.

In all honesty room service was not the highlight of the trip but I have traveled extensively and can say that room service has never been the highlight of any trip. There are so many wonderful restaurants within one mile of the hotel that this was not an issue. The food at the beach club was good however I preferred some items on the Beach Grill menu (if you ask you can order this on the beach or at the pool).

Don works at the Beach Club and was kind and helpful every day. Kids need boogie boards? No problem. You forgot your sunblock.. I will grab some (not from the store but from his car). Drinks were refreshed without ever asking, food arrived quickly and we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves.

The toilets are loud (it is actually done to conserve water and I am completely on board with that effort). I am a light sleeper and toilets from other rooms never bothered me. I thought the bed was very comfortable and we had all the down pillows and bedding we needed.

I had one service in spa and it was wonderful.

I am returning to this hotel in a few weeks because we had such a wonderful time. I know that there are valet fees and food is a bit pricey at the beach but usually this is the case at a hotel of this level. It was an amazing trip and the entire staff was terrific. I would highly recommend the club level (mainly because I haven't stayed on the other floors and cannot speak to them, although I was told they are pretty much the same).

Room Tip: I thought the club level away from the elevator was great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank TravelGirlABC
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rooms are over priced. The Ritz nickels and dimes for everything. $24.a night for valet parking. $12. A day for wireless. $3.50 for coffee in the am before the breakfast service is started. Toilets flush SO loud that you can lie in bed and hear toilets flush from all around. Mattresses have a feather overlay on top of them - bottom sheets do not even tuck in. Overall, never book here.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Traveler B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 51 in Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!