“Thumbs Up”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I just got back from The Ritz in Sarasota and was impressed from the begining.

The Lobby is gorgeous and the staff was calling me by name and serving a glass of champagne before we even checked in.
Like most Ritz properties, the staff is excellent. I will give a shout out to Dino, Larry, Heather and Nikki for their help.

The hotel is unique in that it is in the city on a marina, not on the beach. At first, this was a negative, but being walking distance from the number of options in Sarasota was great. I suggest you take advantage of the location by giving Captain Jack a call and have him pick you up in his 42 foot boat right at the hotel for a sunset cruise at a great price. Thanks Jack and Travis.

Although there is a pool and game room at the hotel, it ain't so great. The pool is covered in shade most of the day. The real action is at the beach club a short drive away. They have a shuttle that goes there, but I would recommend having a car. It really works well. Valeting at the beach club was so relaxing. Just throw the keys to the guy couple of dukes here and there and you are swimming. There is a great Tiki bar just to the south of the beach club that has real good drinks at good prices. One day I had one too many margaritas and felt driving wasn't a good idea. I took the shuttle back instead of driving. The valets brough my car back to the hotel. (Not bad) Although driving is definitely the way to do this hotel it takes a couple of days to figure out the best ingress and egress. (by the way take sunset drive).

The spa is nice but nothing out of the ordinary imo. The golf course is amazing. If you got dough, go there. It is hefty though after tips and drinks... you are looking at over $400 a round. We would have gone back but, university park cc is a little closer a little more difficult and set me back $69 with cart.

Room. A little small, but the bedding whoa... First time I did not get back to my own bed and go yeah.

Food. Real good room service at the hotel. The beach club food was good but not amazing. The kids meals were great and I did not feel like I was getting ripped.

Words for the no-kid crew. This is my third trip to a Ritz property and if you do not have kids...well... I do not think you want to go to any Ritz. It seems as if Ritz is gearing toward familes which is awesome. They are everywhere which is great if you are bringing five of them (which we did). All the families are great too. It is a real good group they cater too, but if you are looking for a romantic place where you can whisper by the pool... This aint it.

Looking forward to the next Ritz experience

Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank DudsyJ
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota

Reviewed March 18, 2008

My husband and I spent the first few nights of our honeymoon at the Ritz Sarasota, and enjoyed every minute! The majority of our honeymoon was spent at a posh new 5-star resort in the Carribbean, but it was SUCH a letdown after our Ritz Sarasota experience!
We were welcomed with adorable tux-wearing strawberries and a complimentary bottle of merlot. Within a few minutes of arrival, room service delieved a bottle of champagne on ice, compliments of the Ritz as well! Every moment at the hotel was equally enjoyable. We loved the pool, and didn't experience trouble with too much shade. All the food was phenomenal. The restaurant's waitstaff was first class, and the food was a treat for the senses. Anyone who stays here MUST visit the spa. It is utterly gorgeous!
We valeted our car, and did not visit the Beach Club, so did not try out their transportation system.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will definitely be returning again soon!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank abbyabigail85
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We loved the hotel and the city of Sarasota. We used our own car to travel to St. Armands and the Beach Club so did not experience some of the other review's issues with the shuttle. Our car was always waiting for us and it was simple to drive ourselves in a matter of minutes.

The very best of our stay however, was the Club Floor and especially the services of Larry during the evening service. Never have my husband or myself experienced such exceptional customer service. For us, the Club Floor helped to make the trip so wonderful.

Yes, the toilets do flush loudly and I wish we had had a separate tub and shower for the price. that we paid. My only other compaint is that I very specifically requested a room facing the Gulf and was assured that I would receive one. However, the room we were given had a very limited water view and when I questioned the front desk, they explained that if you can see water at all it is considered a water view.

All in all, we would definitely recommend the hotel and the Beach Club.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kate46
Reviewed March 13, 2008

We had a fabulous stay at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota. We had high expectations given the above average rates and I can happily report that we were not disappointed. This was our first stay at a Ritz property, and we were impressed by the staff's attentiveness and effortless attention to detail. They always seemed to anticipate our needs before we had the opportunity to ask. What impressed us most is that they accomplished this without being overbearing. The Beach Club is absolutely the nicest property on Lido Beach. It is very kid friendly, and surprisingly the "grill" prices were not much more than you would experience at a Westin or Hyatt property. The only downside is that the hotel is not located directly on the beach and requires a 12 minute shuttle ride. This fact also makes the Ritz Kids Club’s “Kids Nite Out” program less desirable/effective given the fact that you must drop-off and pick-up your kid(s) from the beach club. Despite this shortcoming, the Ritz-Carlton Group has definitely won over a new patron. We can’t wait to experience our next Ritz-Carlton property. We are already dreaming about the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman. This service coupled with the beauty of 7-mile beach…….Wow.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank fullnelson3
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I recently stayed at the Ritz for a girls weekend and had a fabulous time. I found the staff to be very attentive and helpful - always remembering our names. The room was extremely comfortable and I loved the beds. The TV was a bit out-dated but the enormous bathroom made up for it. The toilets flush extremely loud, but at least they get the job done. Would have preferred some of that water pressure in the shower though. I loved the Bulgari bath products and we got room service every day - which was pretty affordable considering it was the Ritz. The staff really did service our every need. The shuttle service to the beach club was a bit annoying (didn't run too frequently, had to sit and wait for other passengers for over 20 minutes, etc.). The beach wasn't as nice as Siesta Key either (which I was hoping for). The decorating in the hotel is very lush and expensive looking. Overall, I loved my stay and would surely go back. We had an extra-spectacular rate though, so I doubt I'll be splurging the rack rate next time. I definitely suggest this place to vacationers.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ciabi
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Okay, positives first...fabuous location for walking to downtown Sarasota , which has a wide range of dining choices and fun book stores, boutiques and galleries to wander through. Hotel grounds are very nice, pristine and elegant. Room was the same, although quite small compared to other Ritz-Carlton hotels, however the balcony expanded the space and was perfect to sit with a glass of wine and look out onto the marina in the near distance. Definitely book a room at least on the 5th floor or higher in order to take advantage of the bay views. Spa is beautiful according to 2 of my travelmates. Beach club is wonderful -- good service once we finally went and asked for a waiter after 1/2 an hour of waiting for one to come to us. Concierge was helpful and pleasant. The unfortunate negatives...the awful shuttle service to the beach club and St. Armand's -- late every time, once it was 30 minutes late and then completely full. I would not count on using this service if you have to be anywhere at a specific time. The mandatory valet parking was irritating, and took too long for the valets to get our car, having to ask where it was on several occassions. The toilets are truly annoying, with the loudest flushing I've every heard. I requested a room change due to the toilet, but they said they all flushed like that -- loud enough to wake the others in our room, and possibly the ones around us too! Very small workout room and very crowded every time I tried to use it. The hotel pool is nice, but in the shade most of the afternoon. If you like shade, then this is the pool for you. I found the front desk staff to be professional, yet impersonal and rather smug. I can best describe the evening atmoshere at the club as a meat market. Upscale meat market, but still a little too much "slickness" and "botox" for me. The sitting lounge off the lobby is full of comfy chairs to sit and read or chat with friends, however, the one time I tried to sit and have a cup of coffee and read a book was the time they were turing the room over for a wine brunch, and I was asked to leave. All in all the hotel was nice, but there were too many annoying little things that made me think I don't need to come back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank DinATL
Reviewed March 10, 2008

WOW!!!!, I can not say enough great things about this property and the people working there. We have been to a few other Ritz Carlton properties in Florida as well as in New York. This was one of the most enjoyable vacations we have taken . The Hotel Staff were super friendly, we where traveling with a 19 month old and the staff made it so comfortable for all of us. The hotel is child friendly which was one of my concerns before going there. Private beach club in lido keys is fantastic, huge pool for the little ones to play in, great food at both hotel and beach club. I can not wait to go back to this property!!! the concierce who works nights, (sorry I forgot her name)was top notch got us into two great restauraunts in town,

Do not pay attention to the negative reviews , they are not true!!

the only thing i can say is Wow!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank NEXTELGUY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 50 in Sarasota
Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!