“Posh, expensive luxury”

GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Posh, expensive luxury”
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Stayed for 1 week in Feb 08 and enjoyed it. Best of all close enough to walk into town for restaurants, theatre and bay. Not sure we will go back, not that anything was wrong but in our opinion it was too expensive for what was on offer. For example bottle of wine in bar area started at $66 and golf on the Ritz Carlton course is $245 plus tip for obligatory caddy, so with tax and hire of clubs probably $700 for two players. Apparently the course is very special so up to you if you wish to pay for that privilege. we went elsewhere.
Very luxurious throughout but bizarre admin. Putting the 'SHH' ( do not disturb ) sign outside early evening while jet lagged just brought housekeeping on the phone to tell us that the 'SHH' sign was outside and they could not get in to turn down. Why did we put it out at all I wonder. Also things on the guest channel for what is on showed that there was something interesting on three days before - it was the only thing on at all.
Having siad that it is a luxury hotel. Car parking is obligatory $20 per night by valet but many seem to self park on the drive though we were told by concierge that they will get towed. Not so ! Dozens and dozens do so much of the day and night..
Beach club very nice but very very shallow pool. Ideal for chidren but too shallow for adult to swim over much of it, I think max depth 3 feet 6 inches. Really good for kids though..

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — $20 per day car parking charge
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westsussexuk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
England
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 9 nights, and I can honestly say it was a wonderful stay. Every single one of the staff were helpful and always there to give advice about places to eat and places to go. The valet staff made sure someone came to pick us up if we went out without taking the car. The rooms were very clean, room service and cleaning services were fantastic and our view just made it even better.
Staff were all too willing to make sure our every need was looked after and everyone was so polite to us. Staff were willing to chat and be extremely pleasant and not make it feel like it was an effort to talk to us. We even had a problem with our wireless internet and the staff let us use facilities they had for free and without any hesitation. Even when we'd missed breakfast, the staff allowed us to go in and sit down and still order from the menu - whereas many other hotels tell you to go away. This hotel is perfect for couples looking to relax and basically be pampered.
I cannot fault this hotel in any way, even when we decided to check out early (we decided to go to disney land), the staff were still pleasant and advising us on places to go etc..
Really a lovely place to stay, there is shopping malls around, even though i agree there isn't lots to do, but the point of it is to visit the beaches (siesta beach one of the most beautiful beaches) and relax and not have to think about doing anything strenuous!!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank babyg35
Sussex England
Reviewed February 14, 2008

We stayed for five nights and were highly satisfied. The staff were superb, the hotel's food and facilities were all one would expect from the chain. The only disappointment was the hotel pool which is too shallow to enjoy swimming in and in the shade for much of the time. However, this is more than compensated for by the hotel's terrific Beach Club with great pools, also right on the beach with the most marvellous powdery white sand. Chairs and towels, good bistro, free shuttle bus - who could ask for anything more?
The hotel is also only 10 mins walk from the centre of Sarasota, a friendly, safe and active small town.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank atticuss
boston
Reviewed February 7, 2008

The service at this hotel is the best and most attentive. The rooms were beautiful, the lobby, the beach club. Everything was wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel. Great location. You could be dressed like a bum and you would be treated like a queen.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hatethis
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2008

By far the best Ritz-Carlton property we have stayed at. While my father was here for business we definitely had a great time! Rooms are spectacular service is excellent and the spa is like nothing else! The only complaint i had was the service at the outdoor restaurant. It was soooo slow. But other than that the area is beautiful and the setting of the hotel is great too. Assuming that we are from the east coast of south florida so we really enjoyed the different setting of the west coast....Please feel free to message me with any questions!

• Liked — the whole hotel
  • Disliked — the restaurant service
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank TheMiamiUrbEx
Southwest FL
Reviewed November 26, 2007

This hotel is a very "traditional" Ritz-Carlton property. My friend called it "stuffy,' but I think it's what you expect to find at a Ritz-Carlton. The staff is on the ball - from the time you pull in until check out. They really make you feel welcome and special. I had my dog with me and everyone remembered her name (as well as mine). I checked in on Thanksgiving and attended the brunch. The food was good, but I expected better. One serious hiccup: as I was deciding which sushi I wanted, the sushi chef reached around with his bare hands (no gloves) and grabbed several sushi pieces to rearrange them on the serving plate. I was shocked, which I'm sure showed on my face, but that didn't stop him from doing the same thing on the other plates as well. In general, the food was bland - maybe to better suit the older crowd - and not quite worth the $120. The room was pretty small without the upgrades I've seen at other Ritzs (no flat panel tv or DVD player, old carpeting). However, I did stay in the rooms that are reserved for people with pets so I'm not sure if they differ at all from the other rooms. The tennis facilities were disappointing. 3 hard courts with no staff (I was told on the phone before my stay that they were clay courts). The spa, however, was fantastic. I had a facial and a massage and I literally could have stayed there ALL day. It was wonderful. There is a Healing Waters room that is so relaxing. All in all, it was an enjoyable stay. The strong points being the staff, the pet accomodations, and the hotel's location (walking distance to cute downtown streets).

• Liked — Staff, Pet-friendly accomodations
  • Disliked — Older crowd, poor tennis facilities
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveler4377
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for our anniversary weekend getaway... the hotel staff was awesome, the rooms were clean and spacious. The property isn't located on the beach, but has a beachfront club that guests can use. Although the weather was rainy while we were there, we still took advantage of the hottub and restaurant. We also got a fabulous couples massage... we'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking to get away! Also- the hotel is located within walking distance to Main Street, which has excellent restaurants!

• Liked — beachfront club property
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StephanieLuvs2Travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!