“Best hotel we have every stayed in”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
boston
“Best hotel we have every stayed in”
Reviewed February 7, 2008

The service at this hotel is the best and most attentive. The rooms were beautiful, the lobby, the beach club. Everything was wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel. Great location. You could be dressed like a bum and you would be treated like a queen.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hatethis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2008

By far the best Ritz-Carlton property we have stayed at. While my father was here for business we definitely had a great time! Rooms are spectacular service is excellent and the spa is like nothing else! The only complaint i had was the service at the outdoor restaurant. It was soooo slow. But other than that the area is beautiful and the setting of the hotel is great too. Assuming that we are from the east coast of south florida so we really enjoyed the different setting of the west coast....Please feel free to message me with any questions!

• Liked — the whole hotel
  • Disliked — the restaurant service
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank TheMiamiUrbEx
Southwest FL
Reviewed November 26, 2007

This hotel is a very "traditional" Ritz-Carlton property. My friend called it "stuffy,' but I think it's what you expect to find at a Ritz-Carlton. The staff is on the ball - from the time you pull in until check out. They really make you feel welcome and special. I had my dog with me and everyone remembered her name (as well as mine). I checked in on Thanksgiving and attended the brunch. The food was good, but I expected better. One serious hiccup: as I was deciding which sushi I wanted, the sushi chef reached around with his bare hands (no gloves) and grabbed several sushi pieces to rearrange them on the serving plate. I was shocked, which I'm sure showed on my face, but that didn't stop him from doing the same thing on the other plates as well. In general, the food was bland - maybe to better suit the older crowd - and not quite worth the $120. The room was pretty small without the upgrades I've seen at other Ritzs (no flat panel tv or DVD player, old carpeting). However, I did stay in the rooms that are reserved for people with pets so I'm not sure if they differ at all from the other rooms. The tennis facilities were disappointing. 3 hard courts with no staff (I was told on the phone before my stay that they were clay courts). The spa, however, was fantastic. I had a facial and a massage and I literally could have stayed there ALL day. It was wonderful. There is a Healing Waters room that is so relaxing. All in all, it was an enjoyable stay. The strong points being the staff, the pet accomodations, and the hotel's location (walking distance to cute downtown streets).

• Liked — Staff, Pet-friendly accomodations
  • Disliked — Older crowd, poor tennis facilities
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveler4377
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for our anniversary weekend getaway... the hotel staff was awesome, the rooms were clean and spacious. The property isn't located on the beach, but has a beachfront club that guests can use. Although the weather was rainy while we were there, we still took advantage of the hottub and restaurant. We also got a fabulous couples massage... we'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking to get away! Also- the hotel is located within walking distance to Main Street, which has excellent restaurants!

• Liked — beachfront club property
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StephanieLuvs2Travel
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed October 25, 2007

Ritz Carlton's have a style all their own. Like Versaille with extra chandeliers. Boy, do they look posh. We almost felt as if we needed to ask permission to move a chair:

Could we move this chair?
Allow me sir. At what angle would you like the chair placing?
it's fine I'll do it.
Would you like the Vice President of Chair facilities to assist you?
No, I'll do it.
I could ask the concierge to enroll you on a chair placing course.
I think I'll just stand.

The hotel staff certainly aren't stuffy or snooty. They are relaxed and friendly in the Floridian way, but all those chandeliers.

When booking you are asked what time you'll arrive so check-in staff can greet you by name, Nice touch eh, unless you arrive hours early as we did. Check-in staff were of a very high quality and efficient as you would expect.

The hotel is on the waterfront and within easy walking distance of downtown. The very pleasant beach club is four miles away and is right on the er beach. Hourly complimentary bus transfer from the hotel was reliable and friendly.

While we sat in the hotel gardens, a red tailed hawk sat unperturbed on the railings overlooking the quay. After awhile it flew off then descended and caught a mouse in the shrubbery. At our restaurants back home we use a company called Rentokill to deal with rodents. Having a red tailed hawk do it is really posh.

Breakfast was actually of the cooked to order variety and not the universal - how long has that sausage been sat there? -buffet.

A very welcome touch was the free internet room. Entry by bedroom key and you have the freedom to come and go without filling forms in triplicate.

Location, service, fine food, chandeliers, red tailed hawks all cost and the hotel is expensive but you get a lot of style for the money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Chandeliers
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
11 Thank Wheelright
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 24, 2007

i had the pleasure of staying at this property the week of oct 6, i was in town for a wedding on long boat key. everyone on the forums said long boat key would be SO far away, and that was my main conern, but it was only about ten minutes away!

where to start...everyone was nice there, it was a very pleasant stay. although, i have stayed at other Ritz's and the treatment is much better elsewhere. on a scale of Ritz's treatment that one would be used to, Sarasota gets a 7 out of 10. ( when i think of Ritz Carlton, i think 10 out of 10, its a Ritz right?) i mean not bad, but they could have been more attentive. simple things that you are used to, for instance; water when u leave the hotel given to you by valet was only done once or twice, staff didnt really remember your name, and i was in and out all day! also, at the on-site pool, no wait staff to fix your towels or chairs.that is being really picky tho. the last complaint i have and was aware of before hand is there is no beach on site. you have to take a shuttle over or you can drive yourself to their own private beach club, which is about ten minutes away. it was georgous and the wait staff there was very good, more so than at the actual hotel. it was a sight to be seen, the view of the beach while in the huge pool. loved it. i just hated the fact that i couldnt just walk out my hotel and go right to the beach. the actual hotel does have a pool, but there was no bartender either, i asked someone where everyone was, and she said over at the beach club. so we left and headed over there. its just time consuming, if you have somewhere to be later on.
the turn down service was great, there was seashells and chocolates every night and my FAV was the flower left next to my bed every night, and the ice in the room, kudos to housekeeping! the valet was very nice and friendly. the hotel itself is very elegant and has an older feel to it, i loved it. wonderful views of the marina, and i had a great view of the ocean from my balcony. The hotel itself was a little hard to find, as it is a newer property, and therefore wasnt on my GPS system.

all in all, it is just a regualr Ritz, nothing special, i would stay again if i was in town, but not for a getaway. i know age has something to do with it, but it was just a boring hotel, i mean every hotel has some kind of bar! not this one. it was very quiet and calm. i sure was happy to be off to south beach!

• Liked — the beach club (and the bed)
  • Disliked — the on site pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ALECIAINBOSTON
Tampa, FL
Reviewed October 17, 2007

If only every hotel could live up to the Ritz Carlton...

This is not only a great location/destination, but the hotel itself has a wonderful spa, private beach and superior accomodations.

*Spa is a must - you won't be disappointed.

*Poolside food and refreshments are delicious and served with a smile.

*Overall, great service and amenities! I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler...with or without children.

• Liked — Overall experience!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shineykate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!