“Great Sunday Brunch”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Like this Ritz a lot. The Sunday brunch is very nice! Just had Mother's day brunch here, which is slightly more elaborate than their regular Sunday brunch... and it was soo nice! Just a great array of cheeses, meats and honey's from around the world, as well as just about everything else under the sun. I don't normally care for buffet style (or all you can eat places), but this is done very tastefully and the servers are all so pleasant and well mannered. The champagne is not a 'cheaper' brand either, like most champagne brunches (included was a nice complimentary Bloody Mary bar, too). Unfortunately, they are now closed until fall due to the summer heat (low season), but this brunch is definitely the best in the area ( brunch at The Don Cesar in St. Pete would be my 2nd choice).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank selectivediner

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We upgraded to club level and were very pleased with the variety and quality of the food and drinks. Maria and her staff truly have the gift of hospitality. Our room was pleasant, the hotel beautiful and the staff attentive. We are already planning our next trip to this property. The short trip to the beach was not a problem. I recommend this property during the shoulder season.

3  Thank middleagedmillie
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz in Sarasota for 1 night and it was fantastic. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. The grounds are beautiful and the Mother's Day Brunch was delightful. The service was good and the location was ideal!.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was fortunate enough to stay at my first Ritz in my 28 years on this earth and I was very excited about my get-away with my Mom in early May! My parents had visited recently and had amazing things to say about it. We got a great deal and normally would not have stayed at this expensive of a hotel, but for a three day trip mid-week, it was a fantastic splurge!

First, Sarasota, Sieta Key, Lido Beach, surrounding keys, etc. are beautiful. Kind of a hidden gem and well-kept secret of Florida. You absolutely must drive to the Siesta Key public beach which has the most amazing sandy beach I've ever seen. There are little beaches and parks throughout the area where you can pull-off the road and bring a chair and a book and relax. I will definitely be coming back. I thought it was just as amazing as a Caribbean beach. And so much cheaper to fly to.

Now back to my hotel review. We had a couple issues with the room and service, but all in all, it was an absolutely beautiful hotel. You can definitely tell you are in a luxury hotel and paying for attentiveness and service. The furniture, flowers, landscaping, etc. were very well done.

Yes, you have to drive or shuttle to the beach club, but it is amazing. You have to be ok with hauling your stuff on the bus and making sure to make the bus pick-up or drop-off times. There is a charge to rent an umbrella on the beach, but it's worth it. The staff gives you water and towels and you can just spend the afternoon enjoying the sun and sand. It's a bummer you have to drive there and can't just walk from your room, but oh well.

We ordered a burger one day for lunch and chicken fingers the next at the pool and both were very good.

We had breakfast in the main dining room and enjoyed our oatmeal. The waiter also brought my Mom two waffles with strawberries and whipped cream with a candle on top for her birthday. That was very thoughtful.

We made a point to attend Happy Hour in the lounge because we were there mid-week and enjoy our alcohol without spending a fortune. The martinis were half price and were great! We tried several appetizers but none of them were our favorites. Both waiters were extremely friendly and helpful.

We walked around the hotel and checked-out the business center, (I printed boarding passes on the day we left) spa, and store. My Mom attended several fitness classes in the mornings and I thought the gym was great. Full of very nice LifeFitness equipment. The spa and locker rooms were beautiful. I can't imagine how much a spa treatment would have costed, but I'm sure it would have been lovely. Maybe someday!

The room. I was expecting an amazing room when I walked in, but even my Mom said I was quiet when we stepped in. It was ok. Nothing spectacular, actually. This makes me sound snobby! I guess I was expecting more. The bed was extremely comfortable, so no complaints there. They were double beds, however. I thought the room was relatively worn. There was hair in the bathroom and the wall had something spilled on it. The carpet had some frays where it met the wood by the door and I even saw a spider web in the corner on the ceiling. The toilets are designed to save water, but wow, the flush is super loud and would wake up people if flushed at night. I too heard people outside and thought the room was noisy. On the other hand, the services like evening turn-down with chocolates on your pillow, ice in the ice bucket, waters, newspapers, etc. all were wonderful and really added to our enjoyment. Those are the little extras that are noticed and appreciated.

I didn't think the patio furniture was anything fancy at all and was kind of cheap. The sliding door of our room had moisture in it, which means the seal between the glass panels was broken. We notified the front desk and they said someone would be replacing it after we checked-out. We had a water/bay view and it was nice.

I am not sure if this was just a temporary thing, but we were able to test drive BMWs for several hours each day. It was pretty awesome. There are the standard waivers and information taken, I'm sure with the intent to find willing customers to buy the cars, but we cruised around town in a very cool convertible on a warm early May night. They just let us take the cars and no questions were asked! It was a great feature. I am glad we didn't rent a car and just took a cab from the airport, because these cars gave us the flexibility we wanted, but didn't have to feel trapped in one spot.

Finally, we had a snafu with storing our luggage on the day of our departure. We had to check out at 1 PM, after we asked for a later check-out and were not able to do so. We stored our luggage with the bellmen and valet employees while we went to the beach club for a few hours before our flight.

We gave our suitcases, coats, and one small shopping bag to the valet attendant and asked if we should get a tag or write down how many belongings we had just for safe-keeping. I was ok with leaving a shopping bag with them because it was a Ritz! If something should happen here of all places, then what is going on in this world??! It had a few birthday presents in it from St. Armand Circle. He said no need and it wouldn't be a problem.

We came back from the beach right before we needed to get in our taxi and head to the airport. We asked the valet attendant we gave our luggage to to call us a taxi for 445 PM. When we got back, we got help retrieving our luggage. My shopping bag was no where to be seen. Neither was the cab. My Mom and I immediately alerted the staff and they started to help us. The man who took our luggage earlier that day was already gone, so he was not able to help us. One of the bellman tried to call him with no success. After a little while, I was getting upset because I didn't want to leave without my purchases. I had my receipts for how much I spent (about $150) but really, what happened to my stuff?

After a little while of aggrivation and running around checking the storage room, one of the valet guys comes from the opposite side of the hotel drive-up circle and says he found my bag in a garbage can. So that means someone took my bag from the luggage storage room and literally moved it across the main entrance into the valet room? It just seems so suspicious, even now. Why did they do that?

In the end, all was fine because I safely returned home with my wares, but something worth mentioning.

It was a beautiful hotel, and a great trip with my wonderful Mother. That's the most important thing to note.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank ChiLiz05
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This Ritz is not one of our favorites for a number of reasons. Our checkin experience was not the usual very friendly wanting to please front desk. I had mentioned that we are rewards members and wanted to see if we could possibly receive an upgrade which the person immediately told me "we do not do upgrades to suites" with a tone I did not apprecite. We have stayed at just about every Ritz there is and never had anyone with such an attitude. I asked to see our room before bringing in our luggage and I was not happy with the view as it was directly over the pool and I had requested the bay view. I was told there were none available even though the hotel was by no means full. The front desk manager was there when I returned and she had the same attitude and said there was nothing they could do so we took the room over the pool. I always make our bed in the morning before we leave as it bothers me to see an unmade bed and after noticing some black spots on our sheets I picked up the bottom sheet to find a very dirty and stained with feathers etc mattress pad. It was very disgusting and we called housekeeping to make sure all the bedding was changed. We had never had this happen before so then I also noticed how dusty the room was so all in all the room was not very good along with the view we did not ask for......another thing about this hotel is the 10 min drive to the beach. But once you arrive you see that is was worth the drive. We had dinner at the club one night and watched along with many others the beautiful sunset. The beach is beautiful and the service and food were excellent. Overall, I cannot say we would ever stay at this Ritz again due to the attitude of the front desk, the lack of room cleanliness, small hotel pool and the distance to the beach. We are going to try the new Waldorf Astoria on our next visit to Florida.

Room Tip: High floor bay view