“This Ritz just doesn't have it together.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“This Ritz just doesn't have it together.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

I'm going to have to agree with the other recent negative reviews and say this Ritz needs to improve. I've stayed here a few times and service has definitely gone downhill. We were supposed to stay for over a week but left after one night. Our rooms weren't ready when we checked in (but we were early) so we left our luggage and went shopping. On returning the valet asked my husband if he needed help and hubby said no. The valet replied "Well, thank you for helping the economy." We decided to eat dinner at the hotel and went down to Vernona and asked the hostess to see a menu and asked if they had a kid's menu (they do). She handed us a menu and then said, "But you would probably be more comfortable in the other [bar] resturant." Lovely. Before dinner I called and requested a 6pm turn down service so it would be done once we returned from dinner. When we got back to our rooms it wasn't done...I called and they forgot. Room service did send up chocolate covered strawberries to say sorry...but I really just wanted turn down.

In the morning we went to the beach club. The guy on the beach was setting up chairs in military rows so if you were not in the first row you could only look at the back of the chair in front of you. Why he didn't stagger the chairs is beyond me...the chairs were about 2 feet back from the ones in front and the beach was not very busy. We went to the pool. Found chairs, got our own towels, tried to put up our own umbrella but there was no pin to put it up. Husband went looking for someone to help. He found a beach attendant who said they had lost the umbrella pins but gave him a straw and a pen and said to try them and see if they work. Is this not comical in a totally inept kind of way? As we were watching the zillion kids in the pool on giant inflatables we decided to cut our losses and go to a different hotel.

I should also give a shout out to the genius who decided to put high pressure toilets in each room. Seriously what were you thinking? It sounds exactly like an airplane toilet flushing...I had to cover my ears lest they start to bleed. As a bonus you will also hear your neighbor every time they flush. Joy.

If you are used to true 5 star service, you will be disappointed by this Ritz.

6 Thank SUNNYBLUE1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I generally do not write reviews but our recent stay at the Ritz Sarasota was so spectacular that I have to sit down and write this review. In a nutshell; spectacular service at the hotel. When I say spectacular or BEST, I am comparing my similar stays at other 5-6 Ritz Carltons, Rock resort hotels and the likes. The whole staff is unbelievably friendly and efficient. The beach club is outstanding in terms of the facilities. The hotel is ideally suited for couples as well as for families with kids of any age range. I was traveling with my parents, my wife and our two year old boy. The staff took care of the child and the elderly equally efficiently. Thanks to everyone at the Ritz Sarasota especially Thomas, Tommy, Csaba, Bailey, Katie, David, Lile, Elena, Chris, Hans, Javier and everyone lese whose name I cant remeber. Lovely!

3 Thank Kapyandnamita
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Dear Ladies and Gentleman @ the Ritz Carleton, Sarasota, Florida

My husband and I stayed at your hotel from August 10 - 15, 2011, arriving for a family wedding. This was our first stay at a Ritz hotel and we were obviously excited. Suffice to say, we immediately felt pampered, comfortable, and above all, valued as a guest.

Some folks who deserve particular thanks: Eric, our fellow canadian (and Tom) who saw us almost daily on the beach shuttle bus. Always congenial, and helpful to provide any information that would make our stay even better. Julie, our pool gal, Totte, our doorman, Don at the Ritz Beach Club; we don't have everyone's names, but all your staff were pleasant, warm, friendly, personable,and so helpful. A special thanks to Eric for surprising us with a bottle of champagne in our room, the night before we left, for our 30th anniversary that monday, august 15th, the day we flew back to toronto.

We have many memories from this trip, that we will hold dear to us. I have already told my husband; next time we are in sarasota, we are staying at the Ritz!!

M. and R. McLeod

2 Thank margotrip
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We loved this hotel. You could nor fault any part of it, wonderful public rooms a very warm welcome and excellent staff. Our room was very comfortable with everything you could want in it. Very good shuttle service out to the lido, which we also loved, someone to welcome us there when we arrived and a lovely pool and great beach Would go back tomorrow.

2 Thank Jan483
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have been to many Ritz-Carlton Hotels in my lifetime. However, this one has been the most disappointing by far. Where is the luxury service? Not at this property! After requesting a room on a high floor we received a room on the second floor near an elevator and ice machine. Add the very late night music coming from the lobby lounge below and our neighbors and I was in hell! On top of that the room looked tired with a very worn carpet . And it advertises itself as pet friendly...another disappointment! I have never felt so alienating for bringing a well behaved dog before. If you are truly looking for exceptional service and attention to detail you are better off going somewhere else!

6 Thank Robnluly
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed just one night at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota, Florida with two young daughters. We had a wonderful time.

We enjoyed the bayside pool and lovely bar area. Would definitely return!

We walked over to Marina Jacks for dinner which is an easy 10 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank divindaze
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed here for 5 days (check in 8/17 and check out 8/22)with husband and twin daughters, age 9. I had booked the Club Level package (club level access, stay for 4 nights and pay for 3 -in a waterview standard room, free Internet and local calls). We had 2 separate reservations (the first 4 nights were in a water view room at club level) and the 5th night was in a standard room, city view - no club level, as it was not available).
Almost all staff were very nice - from the shuttle van drivers, bellman, front desk staff, house cleaning staff, dining staff and the Ladies of the Club Room. In fact - The Ladies of the Club Room were great.
My Pros and Cons ...here's the Cons first:
Cons:
1. I must say I was disaapointed in the view from the waterview room. It was supposed to be a water view and we got a partial water view - the other view was of the top/roof of building. I think the reason I was disappointed is because on our last night we moved to a standard room, city view (we had to do 2 separate reservations) and the view from the standard, city view was not much different than the view we had the previous days from the standard water view. room. Since we paid a good bit more for the water view room than the City viewroom, I was expecting a better - view.
2. Check your bill before you leave. I was charged for spa treatment for 8/16/11 ....didn't check in until 8/17/11. I was charged for Internet and local phone calls ...although these were supposed to be free with the Club level package Good thing is that as soon as I brought it to the front desk attention, it was taken care of rather quickly.
3. Not a real problem for us but did note that the service at the Beach Club was kind of slow.
4. The arcade area at the hotel could use soem updating. Alot of the games were old ones and I think the kids (and adults) would use it more if the arcade games was updated .... and the hotel would make more money from it.
5. I know this is not the hotel's fault but our decision of the room selection but we found the standard room to be too samml for us for 5 nights. Next time will probaly aim for a suite if we get a deal on it.
Pros:
1. If able to ...do club level - I think it made a big difference in our stay. The Ladies of the Club are very nice and excellent at their job. The food was very good and a nice variety.
2. The Beach Club is very nice. We enjoyed the pool and they had some pool toys for the kids. The changing room/lockers were clean and a nice touch. The shuttle took no more than 10 minutes and is very convenient if you dont want to drive.
3. The pool at the hotel is nice too
4. Nice restaurants in area. We ate at Tropical Thai and Maemi Peruvian in downtown Sarasota - loved the food there.
At St Armands Cirlce - we ate at Crab and Finn, Columbia and Blue Dolphin. We really enjoyed the food at Columia and it was nice and plentiful at the Blue Dolphin. The food t Crab and Finn was okay.
All in all - we would stay at Ritz again but will opt for club level and a suite if we get a good deal.
Now we are off to Siesta Key for a week

Room Tip: stay at club level is ytou are ale to