“Loved the Place”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I went by Star Keeper Cafe monday night and really enjoyed. They had open mike and some wonderful local people to show up and do there talent in the back yard. It is an old house and the staff is wonderful. The food was great and everyone just makes you feel as you are among friends. We will return often I am sure...

There are newer reviews for Star Keeper Cafe

Reviewed June 12, 2012

This location has had a few restaurant tenants. I think this one will be here a long time.
Very quaint, almost like a tea-room. As they promote - a step back in time. With antiques and quiet conversation.
After being greeted and seated, we got the menus for drink selection.
My wife had ice tea, but I went for a different drink - Basil Strawberry Lemonade. Very interesting taste combination - but it not only worked, it was very refreshing. Wow, good start!
Right to the food. We went at lunch, but they have breakfast along with the ability to host private parties or meetings. They say you can even rent the whole place!
Very interesting menu - very inviting standards, with interesting twists.
I really wanted to taste their version of Rustic Gazpacho (you see what I mean about the names - it's Gazpacho, but it's Rustic - what is that?). Unfortunately, they were out.
So I looked hard at the Kentucky Hot Brown - which, if I remember, the waitress explained was an open face sandwich with turkey, and I think some ham, and bacon with a cheese (Mornay?) sauce. Sounds too good to be true, and before dieting became vogue, I would have had to have this.
So since I was with my wife, we decided I was going to have a salad - Sauteed Apples, Onion, Walnuts, Feta cheese, and grilled chicken ($10.50).
I have to say, I was hesitant about the grilled onions, but surprisingly, the combination was absolutely amazing! This was a wonderful lunch. And the portion was the whole dinner plate full. Possibly healthy and tasty, too! I love food like that!
My wife was entranced by the Southern element of the menu and picked the meatload sandwich ($8.75). I'm almost surprised the waitress didn't need a dolly to bring this to the table! It was a huge piece of (very tasty) meatloaf on sourdough bread (her choice) with lettuce and tomato (other options). Accompanied with a bowl of brocolli slaw. All too much to eat at one sitting. And as my wife says - everything was just perfect.he presentation, the generous portion size, the price, and the service.
I can never argue with my wife. She was absolutely right!

3  Thank Fattedcow
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Seriously, everyone in Sarasota and anyone visiting Sarasota, go to this amazing restaurant. It's a "quaint" old house in the midst of downtown businesses and has a back yard that feels like you have entered an enchanted garden. And the food! We had breakfast at 11:30am and it was incredible. Look at me. I obviously don't appreciate small, delicate, quirky choices. I ordered "cheesy grits with ham, scrambled eggs, and the daily special "beer bread with walnuts." I swear to you, I may never eat another type of bread again. I get really bad internal reactions (I will spare the details here) from bread, but this stuff was so good, and I mean mouth watering, eye goggling, sound like you have an electric stimulating device in your pants good, that I would be willing to suffer and die from Celiac disease just to eat it every day. Star Keeper Cafe. Please go, eat, pay, and keep them open. Oh, and no they didn't pay me or offer Beer Bread for me to write this. Although, I may accept...

Reviewed May 11, 2012

The patio was closed due to work being done and the house was musty smelling. The tomato soup was nothing special. The beer bread was not edible . The portablo mushroom sandwich had tasty flavors but the mushrooms were raw. When I left my hair smelled of must and I just wanted to take a shower.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Unfortunately, i had a less than successful experience. Parking is atrocious! The house is "cute" but small with very few tables although there is a patio outside which is dog friendly. However, there was only one table with an umbrella. In Florida, unbrellas are necessary for outside seating. I ordered the French Toast which was nothing special - i wish I had ordered some fruit with it to give it a bit more flavor. One friend ordered the sauteed apple, onion and walnut salad with feta cheese. The portion was large and she thought very good. Another friend ordered the roasted sweet potato, beets and bacon salad. Although it was supposed to be served with an orange vinaigrette, there was NO evidence of dressing anywhere. My companion was told it was on the veggies. It might have been on the beets but certainly there was none on the potato, bacon or lettuce. Even with dressing, the salad basically didnt work and was unappealing to look at..

The worse part was the wait. Our order was taken promptly but it was at LEAST 1/2 hour before ONE order was brought out. The other two also came separately. All in all, it was about 45 minutes of sitting with nothing to munch on and waiting for our meals. The restaurant was not busy and our orders not complicated - there was no excuse for the bad service.

Based on my experience with the food, the wait and the parking, i wouldnt return. There are plenty of other places in Sarasota for this type of meal - Toasted Mango and The Breakfast House to name two (both of them also have decent parking)