“Peaceful Oasis right in city”

The Garden Room Cafe at Shoogie Boogies
Ranked #161 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Cafe, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Light Lunch Cafe Tucked Away in a European Garden Setting - Flowers & Plants Everywhere - Dining Inside & Out, Reservations Recommended. We have also had 475 plus Bridal & Baby Showers. Weddings and "Private" Dinner Parties
Sarasota, Florida
“Peaceful Oasis right in city”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a magical place to eat. Sit outside amongst flowers and french decor. Loved the quiche and walnut arugula salad. Great place to take your mother or girlfriends. Also great place for a small dinner party. A must visit for lunch if you are in the area.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank fun2b_13

Sarasota, Florida
“Saturday Girls”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Each Saturday several women friends gather for brunch. Yesterday we enjoyed the beautiful terrace at Shoogie boogies. This lovely restaurant / gift shop was a real treat! We are all locals and dine out frequently, but this was our first experience at Shoogie Boogies! We were well rewarded! Even though the restaurant was very busy, the service was excellent. The food was both delicious and beautifully served. There were 9 of us yesterday so we sampled several dishes...each one was well liked. I had the California bean bowl and tea sandwiches...the bean bowl was absolutely delicious!!! The sandwiches were fresh, pretty and tasty. The salads were a big hit also ...ample salmon topped several.
We plan to return, but with summer coming ,we will enjoy one of the charming inside venues.
The story of the owner , Kathryn Kittinger is intriguing too. She left a very well paying job to do some soul searching and became a well known photographer before moving to Sarasota from Pacific Grove, Ca.
The restaurant is located in an artist district so there is plenty to see after enjoying your meal.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Rowansmimi
World
“Ladies lunch and nothing new.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This restaurant tries to be an eclectic lunch/light dinner spot but missed it's mark. It is somewhat charming but the menu has not changed AT ALL since it opened. Even the soup ( mushroom ) is the same. Finger sandwiches, boring salads which can also be a wrap, a quiche and a crepe. That is it. I've never seen a man there and not sure many would enjoy the light fare. Cutesy but redundant. My suggestion-get a chef. Offer some new menu items, something, anything new and I would go back. Even the owners " photography" is the same. Needs a make-over to make it worthwhile to venture to no parking available area.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Chefintraining4ever
East Lansing, Michigan
“Charming Parisian cafe in the middle of Sarasota's downtown”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently visited my mom in Sarasota for spring break, and we couldn't go to the beach because it was too cold and windy, so we decided to shop and treat ourselves to a nice lunch instead. We wondered our way through Towles Court to the Garden Cafe at Shoogie Boogie's. Our visit to this cafe visit turned out to be better than the beach, which is saying a lot from a Michigan resident who is visiting Florida in March (we want sun and beach after 5 months of winter!).

What a beautiful chic little bistro -- with seating both inside and out. It is the type of place that one thinks a Paris garden cafe would look like, only -- I've been to Paris -- it's actually better. The decor and ambience is just lovely. I think the owner has some sort of symbiotic relationship with the antiques and quirky art finds that she uses to decorate and the plants and flowers that are lovingly arranged and placed on tables and any little place that will hold a vase. Everything is just perfectly placed and balances beautifully with its surroundings. It's the kind of space that encourages its female patrons to be on their best feminine behavior -- quiet talks and tinkling laughter over cups of tea and sparkling juice and salads and tea sandwiches. You don't hear any loud raucous laughter and drunken outbursts (you can do that at the beach later, when it warms up). It is the kind of place that makes you feel pretty.

The food is very nice -- very interesting salads, unique and flavorful. My salad was made with pears, walnuts, argula, gouda cheese, and drizzle of honey. The tea sandwiches are traditional favorites, little finger-sized bites of pimento cheese, tuna, chicken, and ham salad, served on a tiered, circular tea cake stand with fruit. We didn't eat dessert (too full, portions are generous and reasonably-priced), but desserts can be selected and carved up into bite-sized pieces and served on a tiered tea cake stand, too. I am a person who demands a Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke with every meal, but they don't serve either at this cafe -- I drank a pomegranate raspberry sparkling fruit juice in a champagne flute, garnished with a strawberry. I didn't miss the diet pop at all. The wait staff was very attentive and responsive. It was a delightful lunch in a delightful setting.

Shoogie Boogie's is also a gallery, a shop of utterly charmingly what-nots and gifts, and a photography studio. Clearly, there's an artist in charge at Shoogie Boogie's. I read somewhere that Shoogie Boogie is so named because it was the owner's grandfather's pet nickname for her. It's a darling name for a darling little spot in the heart of Sarasota.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank cham62
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
“Enchanting and charming!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My friend and I went here for the first time and already are planning our return visit! It is rare that I find a place enchanting, but this truly is. We strolled through the Garden Room, which is incredibly charming. We then walked out into the garden and were swept away. Full of cafe tables amidst flowers and plants, with a flower at each place setting, the garden is the perfect place to sit with a friend to chat over lunch or dessert. There are multiple sitting areas and a wonderful private dining area that they call Tuscany. We saw amazing plates of food being delivered to the diners. Each plate looked tantalizing and delicious! My friend and I had already eaten lunch, so we shared dessert. We ordered a piece of Key Lime Pie and a piece of Mixed Berry Torte. Each slice is cut into 3 pieces, then arranged on a pedestal platter with fresh grapes and a strawberry. Your individual plates are drizzled with a berry glaze and garnished with another strawberry. The presentation was beautiful, the taste absolutely delicious! We chatted with the owner and staff like we were all old friends. It was truly a delightful experience that I look forward to repeating many times. Lunch will be part of my next visit!

• Visited March 2013