“Great Pizza!”

Goodfellas Cafe & Winery
Ranked #148 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Goodfellas cafe and winery is a artisan Winery and Cafe, located in the heart of Sarasota, Specializing in its own handcrafted vinifera and fruit infused wines. Owner, Dave Grammer, offers contemporary interpretations of classic wines and simple food.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Loved the thin flavorful pizza; their pepperoni is very good. One of the best thin crust pizzas you can get in town, with a very relaxed atmosphere. You'll enjoy the self serve table with tons of house options of flavor infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars...they are great!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Hands down the best brick oven pizza. Goodfellas makes there own pasta, sausage, sauce, wine, oils, vinegars, etc. You can taste the goodness in homemade. Excellent food, friendly service, inside and outside seating.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you like thin crust, brick oven pizza, Goodfellas is an excellent local choice. The salads and sandwiches are also very good, while most of the entrees average. This is an interesting, casual restaurant that is great for a family looking for a good budget-priced meal.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Like many others who've written reviews here about Goodfellas, we decided to give it a try based on the many raves and positive comments here on TripAdvisor. In retrospect, we should have paid more attention to some of the negative comments, because many of them actually forewarned of the experience we were to have when we visited last night.

Upon entering, we were told by the lone waitress that we could sit wherever we wanted, which happened to be an assortment of dirty tables, some cleared of dishes but none wiped. Our server did clean our table, but only after asking her to do so. After reading other reviews, we expected the oft-mentioned owner to be present on a Saturday evening, but it appeared that the waitress, chef and one kitchen helper/busboy comprised the entire staff. We have no complaints about lengthy wait times for seating or service, as fortunately (for us, but not so much for the business) the place was only a little over half full.

Our drink order was taken and delivered quickly, but a request for a glass needed a reminder, and a request for straws went totally unheeded. All three of us ordered house salads, which were amply portioned for the three dollar price. When we asked about dressing and bread, we were directed to a table that appeared to be a self-serve station, which seemed very unusual for a restaurant that has a waitstaff. I did not mind bringing back bottles of oil and vinegar to the table, but what was described by our waitress as "bread" looked more like small, untoasted croutons, almost too small to hold by hand.

I ordered the California Dream pizza, my wife ordered the Eggplant Parmigiana, and our friend ordered the Linguine Vongole (clams) with white sauce. Again, the food was prepared and served in a timely manner, but things went downhill from there rather quickly. I actually enjoyed my pizza, and would order it again with no problem. The other two dinners, however, fell way below expectations. My wife described the Eggplant Parmigiana as "okay" but considered the pasta almost inedible, calling it a "solid, heavy, doughy, undersauced mess." When asked earlier about pasta choices, our waitress told us that our choice was between penne and another pasta she pointed to on a nearby plate, but the name of which she could not remember (I now believe that if there were an actual name for this pasta, it wouldn't be one that I would use in the presence of children).

To describe our friend's Linguine (not actually linguine, but the same pasta described above) Vongole as dissappointing would be a huge understatemnet. Atop the mound of pasta sat a pile of empty clamshells. Yes, empty. I'm not sure if the clams fell out into the pasta or if this was some sort of artistic display, but the clamshells were moved to an empty plate to allow access to the pasta. The sauce was a thin, milky mixture, unlike anything I've ever seen on a pasta and clam dish. After a few bites, he described it as "disgusting" and asked for it to be taken away. By the time he was offered another choice, he had seen enough and declined, content to share my pizza, as did my wife. At this point, after looking around the room, I realized that the majority of patrons were eating pizza, and there were few dinner platters to be seen. I suggest to anyone reading these reviews to go back and see what food the raves were all about; you'll find that pizza is mentioned a lot more than pasta.

I was shocked to find the returned dinner on our bill, and when brought to our server's attention, we were told that the manager took three dollars off of the bill. When we told her that this was unacceptable, she told us that the manager could come speak to us. We asked to have the entire cost of the dish removed, and that we did not want to speak to the manager. She returned to the kitchen, and the manager came to our table anyway with a new check with the full amount removed. He suggested that next time our friend order "something more, more..." -- and after some hand waving and gesturing, never finished the sentence. I guess this was his way of apologizing, but the words fell far short of sincerity.

To sum up this review (yes, I tend to write rather wordy ones), Goodfellas is not bad as a pizza joint, but not at all recommended for anything else beyond that.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I selected Goodfellas to provide the pizza for our Teen Retreat, not only because they were right down Clark Rd. from our Rand Blvd. office, but, because their pizza reminds me of the same delicious style I enjoyed growing up outside Newark, N.J. If anyone is familiar with Star Tavern in East Orange, N.J., then you know the kind of thin crust I'm talking about... Frank was nice enough to deliver 7 pizzas at lunchtime for the teens and staff, all of whom were participating in a Tidewell-sponsored, adventure-based retreat for teenagers, who have experienced grief and loss. Everyone commented about how great the pizza was, and the teens, especially, found it to be quite superior to the franchise chains they usually eat. All 7 pizzas disappeared very quickly! Can't thank you enough, Goodfellas, for a terrific meal!