“Happy in Sarasota”

Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Lakeland, Florida
“Happy in Sarasota”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel was at a good location.Rooms were clean and no bugs need updating bathroom, old we did like the big shower head and water pressure Beds were good need better pillows.I loved the room for price pool was clean GREAT FOR THE PRICE

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ABVISRQMANAGER, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Downtown Sarasota, responded to this review, February 17, 2017
Thank you for the review and comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I can't say anything positive about this place , I'm including some pictures from room 303 After the first night a cancelled my stay ( planned for 4 nights) and moved to the REAL and clean hotel.
Stay away from this place unless you're planning some extreme vacations but if so, my recommendation will be to sleep in your car!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MariuszR

Travelers are raving about these Sarasota hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I am only rating this as one circle because I am required to give at least one, if I could I would rate it negative 5 circles. I do not know where to start. We checked in very late, check in process was fine but that was where it stops. Doors to building are not secure, room is beyond nasty, dirty, smelly, stains everywhere. Towels? Not really, comforter, blanket, filthy, stripped them off the bed, furniture, carpet - uugghh GROSS!!!!!!!! Yes, you will have roaches and other multi legged guests in your room. There was some type of stain or something scary that had been wiped on the wall of the bathroom. TV, old old old, almost no channels with terrible reception, wifi did work. Do not try to plug anything in the outlets, just let your cell phone die, better than you getting electrocuted and dying yourself when you touch the outlets of which there was only like one or two, with the lamps, tv, coffee maker etc piggy backed into each plug. Dangerous! OK, what did I miss, oh yes, lack of security of the building and rooms, there are some people staying here that you would prefer not to meet in a dark hallway, alley or parking lot. We stacked our suitcases against the room door, the first floor window was a thin pane of glass which opened easily but did not lock closed. If Home Depot had been open I would have run out and purchased a hammer, plywood and nails and covered it up, I would rather have died in the fire than leave any egress or ingress (may not be a real word but oh well) points to our room. OK, so I have covered how nasty everything was, let us talk about the owner/managers. About 8:00 am, my wife went to get coffee, coming back the owner/manager was in the hallway. He asks her, "are you checking out" not yet she replies, just got up she says with a smile. He grimaces and stomps off. A few minutes later I go out to the car to get something, coming back he snaps at me "you checking out?", not yet I reply. About 30 minutes later we both run to the car to drop off a bag and get another, as we are walking, guess who greets us again? You got it. Again, he snaps "you checking out?" Not yet we reply for the third time, we are leaving about 10:30 (checkout is 11:00). He replies, and I am not making this up, AAARRRGGGHHHHHH and throws his arms up in the air and literally stomps away. End result, do not stay here, I will sleep in my car, on the beach, under a bridge or litter so that I can be arrested and sleep in jail. You will be much better off. I have to mention the free breakfast, this consisted of juice poured through a juice machine with nozzles that are visibly black and covered in mold, coffee, cereal, warm milk and three loaves of bread. Speaking of the bread, it was still in its package, no tongs provided, so everyone is touching the bread when they take some, I shudder to even think about the germs being passed in that area. I need to contact the health department ASAP. This place is awful, management/owner should be gone, it was so dirty we did not even shower and left feeling like we had a layer of slime all over ourselves. We ran out of there and headed straight to the Holiday Inn to try and recover, this was a life changing experience, neither of us will ever be the same again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank nikki b
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The place is run down and dirty.. Disgusting carpeting and even nastier bathrooms... No need for a long review and rant, but I'm not the first to spend the night with 2"+ ROACHES..
There were also 7 Mosquitos waiting for me in the comfortable humidity of the room as I entered.. I counted every one I killed before going to sleep the first night..
I WILL be asking for a full refund and avoiding this place at all costs.. Don't be fooled by the enticing price tag, it's not even worth the $50 a night..
I'm not writing this review upset, my goal is to save the next person from this place..

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Some5one
riverview
Reviewed May 22, 2013

For the area $89 a night is about half price and yet the clean newly appointed rooms and big pool are really nice. Its a simple place, but then you are supposed to be out enjoying the amazing attractions right next door. Easy access to St Armonds Circle for a short trip after being out for the evening. The staff was friendly and helpful too. They stay full so book ahead. Best to call direct to book cause online sites like hotels.com rarely get it right.

Room Tip: Be sure to pick smoking or nonsmoking if you have a preference. Second floor rooms have beautiful va...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Magnum123Riverview
Thank you for the review and comments. Hope to see you again soon!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed one night in March 2013. There were no problems. Walking distance to downtown area. Great value for the money. Staff were helpful and friendly. Close to fast food and easy to get to from the I75.

Room Tip: It's an easy walk to the waterfront park and there is a grocery store across the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FSTSK8R
Thank you for the review and comments.
Ohio
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The manager running this hotel, Nisha Patel, is horrible with customer service! And I think she took advantage of me. My daughter and I rolled in around 8pm one evening. The sign said "special walk-in rates". I was charged $89 for two double beds. Not horrible for this area, but definitely not a "special rate". The room was clean and very roomy. So I decided to stay for the remaining 3 nights. However, when I went to talk to Ms. Patel, she informed me that they didn't have any rooms for the weekend; just for one more night, Thursday. So I booked it and used my new rewards number I signed up for online. It afforded me 10% off. So I paid $81 that night.
As I was still in need of a room for the weekend, I went online and began searching the area. Low and behold! America's Best Value Inn popped up with rooms available! For $71! So I booked through Travelocity. Ms. Patel called my room within 15 minutes and informed me that I wouldn't be afforded the same room. I would have to move. I figured as much, since the online room was a smoking room (the only option). The next morning when I went to get our new key, I was told that I would have to wait until 3:00 to check in! She claimed there were no rooms available! I confronted her on this, bringing up how she said the same thing the night before, when in fact there were rooms available. (By the way, this hotel was no where near full to capacity)
Ms. Patel looked me in the eye and said, " I never said that. I said the rates went up for the weekend". Basically, she called me a liar! I argued this with her, but she didn't care. She was not going to be accommodating. She was not going to allow us to store our luggage until the room was ready. Nothing. She did not care how rude and inconvencing she was. She knew I was stuck with her hotel, so she threw customer service out the window.
I would never give this woman my money again. I did her a favor. I stayed in her hotel for 4 nights, overpaying for 2 night, during a time when she could obviously use the business, as her hotel was not full. She is an awful business woman.

• Stayed February 2013