“EXPENSIVE AND NOT GREAT”

Island Gluten Free Bakery
Ranked #9 of 28 Bakeries in Sarasota
Description: A wonderful little bakery/cafe run by 3 ladies- Karen, Vickie and Kim. It's a dedicated gluten free facility and they make delicious gluten free bread, scones, muffins, cakes etc and sell it in they're cafe along with great coffee! Also serving sandwiches, subs and pizza on their fresh baked breads/crust from 10am to 2pm. Just off Siesta Key in Sarasota Fl. Wonderful find for Coeliacs.
Reviewed May 8, 2018

Stopped by late afternoon and a lot of items were sold out. Tried the mini Key Lime pie, 2 different muffins and peanut butter cookies. Nothing tasted very good and were dry.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed April 2, 2018

While visiting friends in Venice we attended the Saturday morning Farmers Market where I was introduced to the products of Island GF. We had a big breakfast, I had sampled some GF pizza along the way, so I had no room to sample any more, but I bought a cinnamon bun for the next morning. I defy anyone to pick this GF roll out of a pile of buns. I wish I had more time in Florida as I would have loved to try all of their wares, so maybe I should just pull up stakes in Massachusetts and move to Sarasota, that would make things a lot simpler.

Date of visit: March 2018
Karen W, Owner at Island Gluten Free Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2018

Thank you so much for posting your comments. We are looking forward to you moving down here...

Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

The Delicious pastries were a wonderful surprise while on vacation in Siesta Key !! I highly recommend the cinnamon roll! They have figured out how to do gluten free the right way! Thank you!

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Spinmom1
Reviewed February 2, 2018

My wife and I came across their Farmer's Market stand in Venice on a very popular Saturday morning in late January. The bakery owner's parents were at the booth and were very easy to talk to.

My wife was delighted to see the selection of GF items and after lots of consideration, we settled on 2 - 8" pizza crusts costing $8.50. It is a premium price point and we were delighted to try it.

Planning on having Pizza for dinner on Tuesday night, 2.5 days from purchasing pizza rounds from Island, i picked up the unopened bag and saw that it was moldy, green and red mold, growing all over the crusts.

Needless to say, we were both rather disappointed.

The following evening, i emailed the address on their Website.

Kim wrote
"Yes, everything must be frozen this is why we put it on the label, we do not use preservatives chemicals additives or stabilizers.
Our motto is always eat it or freeze it.
The pizza crust work very well from the frozen stage no need to thaw to make your pizza.
All the items are made fresh daily and any leftovers are immediately frozen here at the bakery, all the market stuff is fresh.
Sorry for the inconvenience, we strive to make things healthy but they lack shelf life."

I wrote back,

"Yes, it is on the label, printed in the smallest text. Please ask your parents to mention that to customers when they purchase.

Did i miss the place where we were going to make this right? $8.50 for mold in three days doesn’t give US that warm fuzzy feeling."

Kim wrote back
"I apologize again Noah, our parents do their best to remind people of the care instructions, they may have been busy and neglected this time , but they do understand-stand our products."

If you decide to purchase from Island, FREEZE their product or eat it within hours of purchase.

If you decide to wait a few hours, you might have to throw it away.

I was glad that we donated $8.50 to them and that they don't stand behind the product, but will stand behind your trashcan with a smile and a wave, bye-bye.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

My family has enjoyed several items from here. My favorite is the GF key lime pie.

They are very kind and accommodating. They didn’t have any individual slices of KL pie out but the woman went in back and cut a piece for me.

It’s a dedicated GF bakery, so it’s safe even for celiac. There are also vegan options.

It’s pretty pricey. Worth it if you require GF food and really want something good.

We stop here every time we come to Siesta Key. Love it!

Date of visit: January 2018